Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions re: functionality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TampaGuy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Questions re: functionality Reply with quote

Ok, Pete--or any other experts...

Got some questions re: the PA1xPro. Over time I've gotten along ok, but the manual can be difficult to navigate (forever directing me to go to other pages), some stuff doesn't work as described and some isn't covered at all. Just a few things for now...

1. What exactly is the function of Sequencer 2? I see a couple of options to modify settings, but there doesn't seem to be a practical application, and it is virtually ignored in the manual. What does it do? How does it work? Why is it there?

2. In the Song Edit menu for the sequencer, there is an option called "RX Convert"--it's the last tab. According to the manual, no such option exists...but there it is. What is it for? (Yeah, I could just try it and see, but...)

3. Is there a (much) better explanation of how the sampler works? I followed the manual, but nothing is ever captured. I can see the input on my meter and the "Audio In" light is working, so it is receiving the signal. The instructions under "The Record (Sampling) Procedure" (p 215) break down at step 7 ("Play the keyboard to listen to the sampled sound"), so I can't even run a test to see what it does. I know the basics of samplers, but what is this one designed to do? What actually gets captured? Just a specific sound/tone that can then be assigned? Or is it more than that? I realize we're talking 10+-yr-old technology, but samplers were popular back then, so I'm wondering what this one can do--and how it works. Maybe I'm incredibly dumb (hey, I'm just a pianist, gimme a break), but the manual seems to be significantly lacking.

That's enough for now. TIA for any guidance you can provide...for ancient (in tech terms) technology. Still, there are some elements that have been useful.
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tampa guy

The dual sequencer is just a means to play back two songs at the same time and you can cross fade between the two . basically you can play one song on one sequencer and scroll through a second song whilst the first is playing and then start the second one either after the first sequencer song has finished or whilst it is still playing .

No idea what the RX convert means good question !!

not done much sampling but i just need to ask you , do you have sufficient Ram memory on your keyboard ?

maximum additional ram is 32 mb. if you have already filled this then it wont record any new sample.
alina

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RX Convert Reply with quote

Hi. I haven't tried this option yet, either, and I'm not sure about the Pa1XPro, I have a Pa900.

But, this I found in the Pa900 manual, page 197:
Song Edit: RX Convert
You can use the RX Convert page to convert notes of the midifile into RX Noises, and vice-versa. This will help programming Songs on an external sequencer.
After having chosen a track to convert, touch Execute to complete the operation.
Track
Use these parameters to select the track containing the notes or RX Noises you want to convert.
RX Note Velocity
Use this parameter to adjust the volume level of the RX Noises in the selected track(s).

Hope this helps.

As I mentioned before, I don't know about the Pa1XPro (Pa900 is my first Korg Arranger) so I don't know if the parameters are the same in your Pa1XPro.
TampaGuy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was beginning to wonder if these really were stupid questions, but I guess the 1X is so old, few come here anymore.

I tested the RX Convert, but if it's only relevant for external sequencers (as Alina notes), I guess it makes sense. I have a couple of them on my laptop, but they aren't all that great and can't implement VSTIs. I suppose if I paid lotsa $$ for something like GarageBand or CakeWalk or one of the other pricey apps, I might get different results, but given the cost, it's not worth it. I do the basic tracks on the Korg, record them in Audacity (a good--and free-- app), and then go back and add tracks (guitar, vocals, etc.) as needed. Works reasonably well and doesn't require spending yet more $$.

Worth, what you note re: the 2nd sequencer also kinda makes sense, but the whole Song Play function is like a big black hole. I looked at it in the manual, but have never found a practical use for it. Maybe a DJ would find it useful (but why would a DJ buy one of these?), but it's much better to play back tunes from a laptop or CD player. Maybe this was Korg's attempt to be all things to all folks. Seems like the marketing folks had too much influence.

I do have more than enough RAM; apparently, the orig. owner upgraded it. On the main Sample Record page, it indicates 21.8 sec. of sampling time (~double the norm), and RAM Bank 2 indicates an upgrade. I'm just wondering what exactly it picks up and how to manipulate it. Is it a deal where you play a single track (i.e., a drum track) from some ext. source(?), capture a few seconds of it and then use software to loop it? The orig. owner was using it (mostly Arabic stuff), but unfortunately, he isn't available to ask. Dunno if I'd use it, but the manual isn't very clear on what exactly it can do ('for example, you can...') or how it works, other than to repeat the steps you can already see on the screen. Maybe I'm better off sticking to the sequencer.

While there's lots of useful stuff in the 1X, seems like there are too many angels trying to dance on the head of that pin. You almost need to be a skilled engineer to use it. I'm just a musician trying to figure it out. But hey, thanks for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: