Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it possible to load M1 sounds into modern workstation??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EdK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to load M1 sounds into modern workstation?? Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been searching through the various groups to see if anyone has asked this question but was unable to find any.

Does anyone know if it's possible to load the Korg M1 sound banks into a more modern workstation such as the Triton, M3 or Kronos?

My M1 is starting to see it's last days and it has sounds that are not found in any other workstation.

Keep in mind, I do not want to use a VST or the M1 iPad app.

I only want to know if it's possible for a modern workstation to properly play the M1's sound banks.

Thanks! Ed
rock machine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, I seriously doubt if that's possible, as all of these devices have their own set of system exclusive codes. If you're really intent on having access to to all those sounds- and I know you said you didn't want to, but-then other than finding another used M1R or keyboard, you'd have to buy the Korg Legacy M1, which is cheap and offers some things the hardware didn't. What you would do would be to save all your M1 sysex information into your recording software, such as Logic or Cubase, by hitting the record button, and then going to the M1's page to send that information. If you buy the M1 softare, you can then load sysex stuff into it from what I understand about it. I just looked at the PDF manual of it, and here's a copy and paste to show you it's possible:

Importing system exclusive data

1.Here’s how a system exclusive file created on the original M1 hardware series can be imported into the M1 software synthesizer.

Later, it states that like the hardware, you can load any sort of data= Combinations, All Data, Progams, etc.

Hope that answers your question.

Geoff
EdK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not quite sure if I follow you. Is the Legacy collection a software program (and M1 sounds) meant to be used/played in a computer?

Ed
rock machine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Ed, it's a collection of software synths that Korg put out that emulate these hardware devices- the M1, MonoPoly, MS-20, Wavestation and Polysix. In fact, this forum is mainly dedicated to all of thses synths. In the beginning, about 10 years ago, they released 3 of the 5 in what was called the Legacy Collection, but they've done all sorts of stupid marketing changes along with how you validate and run them. Now, you can buy the whole suite, or as separate synths.
www.korg.com/caen/products/software/korg_legacy_collection/
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi EdK, in a quick and simpler answer to your question, is simply "no". You can't load M1 progs or combis in any other keyboard or module other than the M1 or M1r, or a T1, 2 or 3.
The only other device that will read those banks is the M1 software in Korg's legacy collection as mentioned.
This being said, you can attempt to recreate the M1 sounds you want on other synths by choosing a similar sample and programing it in a similar fashion, but it will not sound the same of course, just an approximate version.
Chances are, if you use and like those sounds, you want to keep using "those" sounds, and not an approximation of them, so your best bet is really either a laptop with the software M1 installed or a Muse receptor with the software M1 installed.
Bare in mind also that the software M1 will not sound exactly spot on the original or have the exact same character but its the closest you will get, apart from buying another M1/M1r.
Yamaha: Motif XS8
Roland: expanded JV-1010 modules (3X)
...And a bucket load of Softsynths, plug-ins, and DAW's Smile
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M1 in the Legacy Collection sounds remarkably close to the original, as does the Wavestation. The other synths sound pretty good, too, but I don't have the originals for comparison.

jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The M1 in the Legacy Collection sounds remarkably close to the original, as does the Wavestation. The other synths sound pretty good, too, but I don't have the originals for comparison.

Well it does sound close, although I think the Wavestation sounds closer and more consistent than the M1, even if not quite as warm and wide as the original WS.
The M1 sounds close for the most part, however some patches sound quite different to the keyboard version. That's mainly the differences in hardware, converters and the fact they removed the low pass filter on the last stage of the output on the software version, making it sound brighter and changing the character a bit. Some like it, some don't. I personally wish they kept it as faithful to the original as humanly possible.
Yamaha: Motif XS8
Roland: expanded JV-1010 modules (3X)
...And a bucket load of Softsynths, plug-ins, and DAW's Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: