Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

REALLY Slow to browse large number of files

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mick1980

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: REALLY Slow to browse large number of files Reply with quote

Hi, my first post here and unfortunately it's for a bit of a moan! Laughing

I'm loving using my new Pa4X and have recently loaded on my back catalogue of MP3+CDG files so that I can make use of the lyrics display for a bit of fun at parties as a great karaoke machine.

I get that this isn't the main purpose of the machine but it has highlighted an issue. With around 9k files, it is impossibly slow to browse files. When looking in the folder, it takes up to 10 minutes of saying "Please Wait" before showing the files. Using the search function is no better - if I search for an artist that is in a file name, it takes forever. I've not actually let it complete a search as after 30 minutes it only showed one item (where I know there are at least 5 matches) and was still spinning around completing the search.

Something is definitely wrong there in how Korg are managing the file system. With 9k files taking 30+ minutes, that's taking at least 12 seconds per file to check against - my ZX Spectrum could do better than that!

Hopefully this can be picked up and improved in a future firmware update. It isn't much of an issue for these karaoke files as that was more for a bit of fun, but as I start to fill up the HD with midi files, recordings, samples, etc, I don't want it to become impossible to find anything.

Mick
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=102850&highlight=
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not aware that the Internal HD was also slow on reading I thought it was only external HDs ( Large Capacity ) that were having this issue? To be honest I have not started to fill my internal HD with files much as yet but of course if your wanting to use a few hundred songs made up of mp3, midi files and TXT files if this is an issue it could be a handicap for live work
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
mick1980

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to your post. Looks like it is the file system being used then if it's the internal and external drives being affected. I've got the 76 key model, so have the 80GB SSD and the 500GB HDD installed. The files are stored on the 500GB HDD and it is painfully slow to browse these large folders.

When I split the files into separate folders with 20-30 files per folder, it is very quick to browse. Even then, the search is still slow when searching across all folders. Limiting the search to one folder of that size is pointless, I could find it myself quicker!

My suspicion is that it is the filtering that Korg applies when viewing a folder - so when looking for Songs, it only displays songs, not other types of files. If it is checking each file rather than trusting the file extension, that could explain the slow speed. I'm guessing though, but definitely something Korg needs to address as you're right - live use will be impossible with this limitation.
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80 gb ssd and 500 hd ? Have you modded this yourself
mick1980

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, got carried away there saying 80GB, that should be 1GB Korg disk and the 500GB KorgHD Smile
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My information was that the onboard HDD on the Pa4x is 62Gb ? Korg dont seem to specify the size of the internal drive in its specs, maybe someone else nows the exact size ?
mick1980

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the specs are vague on the space. You can check yourself. You can see the free space when you press and hold the Record button to do an MP3 record.

Internal memory shows over 900k Kbytes and the hard drive is just short of 500M Kbytes so 1GB and 500GB.

Also when you connect the storage via USB to your PC, the internal memory shows as 962MB and the hard drive as 465GB. Accounting for the difference that hard drive manufacturers use for counting hard drive capacity, that's 1GB and 500GB drives.

Of course that's just the space available for user files. The size of the actual drive used for the internal memory will be bigger.
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As yet I have not connected a PC to the instrument but thanks for the info
Paolo@Korg
Korg Italy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

While we'll investigate on this issue, please note that long lists of files are always slow to be ready on any system. Not going over a few hundred files per directory is usually recommended. Reading speed depends on the instrument, the external or internal unit, the type and number of files.

Paolo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: