Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound differences between Wavestation SR and KLC plugin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biochill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Sound differences between Wavestation SR and KLC plugin Reply with quote

Hello,

I am trying to use the KLC Wavestation plugin as a replacement for my Wavestation SR.
However, there seem to be differences in sound. Has anyone experienced this? Can you reproduce this? Where does this come from?
It does not matter if the WS-SR is in PERF or MULTISET mode.

I am using this particular performance in a song, and I really want it to be the original WS sound.

Here are two bounces of the same performance for listening, one from the AU-plugin, and one from the original WS:
KLC WS ROM11:4 (Mini Lead)https://www.dropbox.com/s/ky99e44tn576wgj/KLC-WS%20Mini%20Lead.aif?dl=0
WS-SR ROM11:4 (Mini Lead) https://www.dropbox.com/s/stnz8sbpxe1y8wq/WS-SR%20Mini%20Lead.aif?dl=0

Clearly the KLC sound has more attack. The patch parameters seem to be the same.

Windows users, is this the same for you too?
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sound differences between Wavestation SR and KLC plugin Reply with quote

Biochill wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to use the KLC Wavestation plugin as a replacement for my Wavestation SR.
However, there seem to be differences in sound. Has anyone experienced this? Can you reproduce this? Where does this come from?
It does not matter if the WS-SR is in PERF or MULTISET mode.

I am using this particular performance in a song, and I really want it to be the original WS sound.

Here are two bounces of the same performance for listening, one from the AU-plugin, and one from the original WS:
KLC WS ROM11:4 (Mini Lead)https://www.dropbox.com/s/ky99e44tn576wgj/KLC-WS%20Mini%20Lead.aif?dl=0
WS-SR ROM11:4 (Mini Lead) https://www.dropbox.com/s/stnz8sbpxe1y8wq/WS-SR%20Mini%20Lead.aif?dl=0

Clearly the KLC sound has more attack. The patch parameters seem to be the same.

Windows users, is this the same for you too?

Hello, welcome to the forum Smile

Regarding your question, simply put..., yes its normal unfortunately Neutral
One thing that one needs to understand is that no vst emulating a hardware synth will ever be able to duplicate it or clone it with 100% accuracy, just because its two different systems, even if you can replicate everything closely, ultimately your computer soundcard and output converters will always be different because the components are different, therefore the character will be different.
That being said, regarding the Vst WS vs the HW WS, the vst has a brighter and cleaner hi-fi like tone with a more pronounced attack, and the HW WS has a warmer and wider tone (more 3D like) with a less pronounced attack.

My guess is they also tried to "improve" the filters for the vst version, so they may have tweaked that too.
What the companies don't realize when they try to improve on something that already exists and has been used for years is that the people who used it don't want "improvements" when I want a specific WS sound, I want THAT sound and not a "improved" version of it.
They could at least have given the option to choose, per patch, the type of character one wants to use, vintage or modern, but anyway.... That's what we have, and either we accept it or keep using the real thing Wink
You can however, try to tweak the patch reducing filter cutoff and other tings and using some external EQ or filter plugins to shape the sound closer to the original

All this being said the WS vst is very close to the original. The M1 vst is a lot worse, as they removed the low-pass filter on the output stage making the vst sound a lot more brighter than the original. Some if the same patches sound totally different on the vst. And this was tested by dumping the sysex file from my T3 with my patches and loading it on the vst.
Yamaha: Motif XS8
Roland: expanded JV-1010 modules (3X)
...And a bucket load of Softsynths, plug-ins, and DAW's Smile
Biochill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jorgemncardoso,

Thanks a lot for weighing in!

Indeed I did notice that in another WS preset the sound from the real WS was warmer than from the plugin. With that preset of the plugin my song sounded less nice.

Well, I decided to stick with the original WS, so I have to live with multisets and limited effect routing.

I hope that one day Korg will make an iWavestation app, like they did with the M1. But I should not get my hopes up - it will most likely sound just like the plugin.

Cheers
rock machine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still amazed that they didn't make the LFOs capable of being clocked to the host synch's clock. That's disappointing and almost every company who has done a VST emulation did this.
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rock machine wrote:
I'm still amazed that they didn't make the LFOs capable of being clocked to the host synch's clock. That's disappointing and almost every company who has done a VST emulation did this.

Yes, thats true. And that's not even the worst thing, it doesn't even have a copy paste feature for copying parameters or wavesequences. I mean, they replicate all the shortcomings that should be solved as they difficult programming, and the only thing they should have kept the same, with the same character is the thing they have "improved"... Sigh... Sad
Yamaha: Motif XS8
Roland: expanded JV-1010 modules (3X)
...And a bucket load of Softsynths, plug-ins, and DAW's Smile
samplerbanker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, VST parameter automation is not possible... the KLC Wavestation is only a big preset machine.

Korg, this is a missed opportunity for your users!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: