Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Korg ever reissue the ARP Quadra?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoboLives

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Will Korg ever reissue the ARP Quadra? Reply with quote

With Korg partnering up with ARP and doing a reissue of the Odyssey and now with the Minilogue being their first step in polyphonic analog in a long time is it possible to see Korg do a full sized polyphonic analog synth?

I'm a huge fan of analog synths and own Prophets and Moogs but one analog synth that seems to have been forgotten is the ARP Quadra.

I first heard about it while reading the gear list of John Carpenter's soundtrack to Escape From New York.

The synth was split into four sections, hence the name. A monophonic bass section, a duo phonic lead section and two polyphonic string/pad sections (which included sample and hold). You could even layer each part and the bass section had it's own sequencer.

With the popularity of DSI (and I'm a huge fan as I have a Prophet 6 and have my eye on an OB6) it would be nice to have an alternative to a full sized polyphonic analog synth. The only other company in this market I can think of is Modal Electronics but they are ridiculously expensive and in my view don't offer anything different than the DSI synths.

The Roland JD-XA was a decent attempt but it seemed overly complicated with a lot more menu diving than it should of had and a synth that can do splits shouldn't have four octaves. I'm with my Prophet 6 and even OB-6 having 4 octaves because they don't have split/layer capabilities)

Korg knows there's popularity in analog gear and they have a hand in the consumer market with their Mini line so I'm curious if they will ever take a chance on a full size analog synth. Even if not a reissue of the Quadra, the idea of an analog synth with 4 splits is mouth watering and I think with a few modern tweaks (Midi, better patch memory etc) it could be well received.

Here's some more info on the Quadra if you want to read up on it
http://www.vintagesynth.com/arp/quadra.php

and some videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Z81KS8tB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZDRjShxrms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBBScu2EMCE
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great! But please no mini! At the very least if the mini idea gets thrown around opt for a rack or table top module instead!
LoboLives

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
It would be great! But please no mini! At the very least if the mini idea gets thrown around opt for a rack or table top module instead!

Yeah I mean a full sized synth akin to a DSI keyboard synth but like I said with 5 octaves since it would require a lot of space to cover the multiple splits.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, full size or no size, all or rack. no in-between monikers. I do love my KARP but would have rather had full size.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: