Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yay/Nay – K-Sound’s $799 Symphonic Dreams Complete 4 Library
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epictetus wrote:
Many sounds are sampled like noobs, for example they are out of tune. I could not use the solo violin in symphony orchestra. It's out of tune. Same about the sax sounds in Goliath. Many other such problems.
All these keyswitches are extremely difficult to learn to use..

It's such so damn true ... I own almost all VST expensive Suites of more than 50K $ of last 15 years in my production
Studios , and except pianos , I never enjoyed playing a damned single solo instrument with them ...

This keyboard switches "circus" is completely ridiculous for advanced Musicians especially for live performing ,
and here comes the value of a featured workstation and expert sound engineers that will convert all this switches
scripting of all native articulations in keyboard real time controllers like expression/legato/AT/velocity/ribbon/joystick/
+-Y axe/ vector & Sw1-2 and provide a decent real time controlling , based exclusively on Musicians fingers and
controllers that they are used to work with !

Therefore using a Workstation like Kronos with the proper sound libraries that include all those articulations like
staccato, spiccato, runs , slides ect you're searching in VSTs , also framed with proper advanced programming
adapted on workstation's features , VST usage will be limited only in Studio !

It's almost 10 years that this dream of mine came true , I left behind my 10 TB VST enclosed in my Studio , and
feel happy gigging with very versatile and expressive native instrument sounds that I love , with just a 61 keybed
Kronos or just use 10 DAW tracks for real time recording of the most complex symphonic film scoring theme and
maybe I've gonna use a bit LASS 2 in 1-2 bridges , since Kronos at present time has no legato orientation feature
to use my legato glissando samples in HD1 Libraries !
This is the main concept in WavesArt R&D and our leading Sound Libraries.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Epictetus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, the Play VST from Eastwest is a right piece of crap. Incredibly rough, basic and primitive. Can't do a damn thing with it, all you can do is load the sound and pan it and raise or lower the volume.

30 dollars a month? I would not pay 30 dollars a year for Eastwest Laughing

I don't like computers, for music....they are no musical instruments. And Eastwest libraries least of all. It's easy to hype them when you hear the demos, but once you put your head down and work, you will find that writing and recording music with that stuff, is like trying to win a cycling championship by riding your cycle on one wheel. An incredibly awkward and unmusical process. I can't write music like that, and even if I can, I cannot do my best.

But give me a real musical instrument, and it's a completely different story.

Korg, Yamaha, Roland....that's what these people make. Real musical instruments. On the surface, these instruments seem behind computers (at least for some acoustic sounds) , but when I consider many other aspects, it's the other way around. I even concluded that I cannot factor in only the sound quality, although it's the most obviously desirable thing.

It's like a car....just because it has a lot of horsepower, doesn't mean it's a good car.

Korg Pa300. Keyboards I have owned over the years:

Kurzweil K2000, Ensoniq SQ1, Korg Trinity, Roland XP-80, Yamaha Tyros 2
Roland F20, Yamaha MOX
and various others.
Epictetus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
based exclusively on Musicians fingers and
controllers that they are used to work with !
[/b].

Right on, Anthony. The artificiality and weirdness offered by most software intended for musicians is completely ineffective, because again, it's made by computer nerds.

And so many people get caught in the trap of 'ooooh, you don't need this keyboard, nah, buy this VST, you'll achieve the best results!'.

Real musicians try to simplify a process, not make it more complex. Because good music is the result of musical skills more than what you really are using. If I am recording a take and make a couple of mistakes, I don't need a 35 inches plasma screen that shows me a very detailed and colourful graphical representation of what I played.

I just use my ears and select punch in and out points on my recorder.

Simplifying doesn't mean being simplistic. Because when a musician 'simplifies' he is still using very complex processes. Music has enough complexity to keep anybody busy for several lifetimes....and all that crap on computers only make you look in the wrong places.

Roland F20, Yamaha MOX
and various others.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each their own. For live use I agree completely with the both of you. For studio work it isn't even a contest though. It's a shame you can't find any respect for "computer nerds" as many of us are trained full time musicians simply using a different tool. I don't have to prove the effectiveness of those tools, when used correctly. Countless movie scores do that for me, regardless of your aversion to computers.

If you don't like Play, you can always use VSL, LASS/Kontakt, Garritan, etc.
It was just an example because it seemed to be a good alternative for the OP who is just starting out.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are much better orchestral libraries than EW on Kontakt platform.

Myself I'm partial to Spitfire Audio. Their stuff just sounds sublime and is very easy to use too.
Epictetus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I will also add that Eastwest values their customers as much as someone who works in a supermarket values the cans he's stacking on the shelf. Their demos are impressive, I'll admit that. But so is the picture of a BigMac hamburger....and a good picture, good food does not makes Smile

Composers who work with PC sampling libraries don't work with these libraries because they LIKE it, but because it's a compromise that will afford them to offer their work to people who often are not prepared to pay the price it costs to hire seasoned and trained classical or jazz musicians to record the soundtrack they want.

PC sampling libraries are just an ugly compromise, not a musical instrument. But a Korg Kronos or a Yamaha Motif XF is a real musical instrument. This fact cannot be touched by the ugly complexity of a PC and all its ridiculous amount of ridiculous and distracting problems. Even when they work well, which they don't, they still suck.

Keyboard workstations have many compromises too. They aren't perfect. But I'd choose a Motif XF or a Kronos over the latest PC with all the Eastwest libraries, any day. I know which of the two alternatives is going to truly inspire me.

Roland F20, Yamaha MOX
and various others.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote] Epictetus said : I am a composer.

I could not disagree more....I bought 3 libraries from them (bought, not rented). Many sounds are sampled like noobs, for example they are out of tune. I could not use the solo violin in symphony orchestra. It's out of tune. Same about the sax sounds in Goliath. Many other such problems.
All these keyswitches are extremely difficult to learn to use. In 6 years I barely finished 4 pieces with this stuff.

I have heard this theory about how computers are supposedly so powerful and limitless compared to workstations....a million times. And a million more. I never, EVER, found this to be true. I make more music with a good workstation in 8 weeks than I do with this computer crap in 5 years. Tons more music, and good music, not some crap either.

Keyboard workstations are REAL MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS. Computers aren't. And all the stuff supposedly made 'for musicians' on computers, are made by computers nerds, and computer nerds know very little about musical composition, improvisation, music theory, etc.

How could they? They spent all their time programming on computers, I am not surprised they don't know jack about music, at least to any notable degree.

Nothing against computer nerds, but I have never confused them with musicians.

Computers are GREAT for EVERYTHING, except one thing: writing and recording music. Sure, if you are a studio engineer, you are stuck with computers.

I am a musician. I work with notes, scores, theory, harmony, themes. Computers are the antithesis of these things. And I have learned enough about other composers too.....about 90 per cent of them, if you ask them about computers, they will say 'I use it to check my email, and then I get the hell out of there'.

Keyboard workstations are more expensive and you get less for your money, compared to all this computer stuff. On the surface.

My opinion.....a workstation like the Korg Kronos or the Yamaha Motif XF p****s all around computers. You spend more and get less 'value', on the surface, but it works.

And all these people who say how much better is to buy this or that VST or sample library, instead of sounds for your keyboard workstation....I bet 90 per cent of them have never done it themselves. And if they did, they didn't do it a lot and over the long term.

All this VST this and VST that and this and that 1 terabyte sampling library on computer, is mostly an illusion. It's like banks: they give you a credit card and you go 'wow, I can spend up to 5000 dollars'.

As for soundsonline....30 dollars a month? I am not interested even if it were free. Though unfortunately I spent a lot more than 30 dollars. I love these libraries as much as I love my wallpaper peeling off the wall.

Cool yes absolutely

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just say that this is one of the most bizarre discussions I've ever had Smile

EDIT:
No, I'll add more. I own a Kronos. I'm also a full time musician. I earn my living making music. I fully respect and understand the importance of interacting with your instrument. But in the end of the day, you're playing a sampled violin. Striking a key has nothing to do with bowing, and all the nuances you can create with bowing can only be approximated through sampling, using different layers and cleverly combining them. I don't think we disagree here. Obviously it would be much nicer to hire a group of talented players and a studio. But this is not an option for most of us. I've only had the joy for one project and that was just a quartet. The test of the time, we try to get the most realistic result with the tools we have.

The fact is that while you can approximate the sound of a violin or string section by playing and clever use of controllers, you can get even closer to realism using a computer because you simply have more sample layers and more sophisticated editing options available. So many in fact, that it becomes impossible to play them live. Whether or not this is something that you enjoy doing or that kills your inspiration is an entirely separate point. An important one, but separate from the question "how do I get the most realistic string section without hiring one". I admire the passion for the route you've taken but I'm getting a little irritated at your suggestion that workstation orchestral samples are superior to VST based ones when clearly, the rest of the professional world disagrees.

Don't lock on to EW either, they're just an example as their Hollywood Orchestra is pretty well respected and they're a cheap way to get started with this stuff. Certainly more so than the 799 (!) that Kapro wants for their collection (no disrespect to their product). As mentioned, there are many good alternatives. Spitfire, Garritan, VSL, LASS, etc.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
So many in fact, that it becomes impossible to play them live.

Depends on the approach. Check out Virharmonic Bohemian Violin.

This run is played live:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCmJ46TNEBI/

Sounds pretty darn authentic to me. Guys at Virharmonic cleverly sampled and scripted the instrument so that it's VERY playable live. Can't wait for future expansions for it with more articulations, bowing types, and stuff!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good VST. Although you can't really hear it in isolation and the phone quality is pretty bad. I've honestly never heard a really convincing solo violin but I play with a live violinist pretty often so maybe I'm more critical. I mean it's fine for playing for fun but I wouldn't deliver a track professionally with a VST (or workstation) violin in a prominent spot. String sections are a little easier.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would, with that library. It's that good. Just IMHO. Smile
Epictetus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I respect your opinion, however I would say you're by far in the minority. I would also like to know how you handle things like spiccato, slurs, runs, accents and legato playing on a workstation. I do it on the computer and while it is true you need to "learn" some key switches you don't actually need to play them live, you can use a piano roll editor to fine tune them. This gets far more realistic results than playing live, in my humble opinion. I'm a full time musician but only a part time composer/producer. Can't say I've done any film scoring. I appreciate the need to interact with an instrument, as a musician I really need that to help inspiration along. But if you are hoping to get realistic results you will need to do a lot of editing. Computers are simple a required evil nowadays. If you're not comfortable working with a DAW you will have to find (and can find!) other ways to be productive but you're creating other hurdles for yourself.

In any case, you can try EVERYTHING for a month for 30 bucks, so if the OP doesn't like them or the workflow they need, small loss.

I respect your opinion too.

How do you know I am 'in the minority' ? Maybe I am, maybe not, we have no data to assess who's right. I don't think -anything- is 'a necessary evil'. How I choose to work, it's my choice. No one forces anyone to use a computer for music. I have had other composers telling me the same thing, i.e. computers are a necessary evil, so you aren't the only one. In fact, I myself believed that. But now to me it's nonsense. The problem is this: we BELIEVE we need the computer.

Makes sense, right? Seems a lot better to have a 10 gb sampled piano than a 256 mb piano library.

Yet, how many times I have proved this wrong, to myself. For example, I already had used the pianos in Goliath. Some supposedly top notch pianos, about 3 gb each, can't remember. I was using it with a 88 hammer action master keyboard. Never really liked it.

Then I got a Korg M3. I only had it for a couple of weeks, unfortunately. This wasn't even the 76 or 88 keys version, it was the standard 61 keys version. I remember I downloaded a free 256 piano library from Korg.
As soon as I started playing it, the Eastwest setup felt like a load of cheap -crap-.

It was like stepping out of a Ford Fiesta and getting into a Jaguar.
That piano on the M3 just FELT like magic. All the dynamics and soul that I could not find in the Goliath pianos. By the way, the pianos there in Goliath are the worst. It's like you have 2 dynamics, p and mp. You have nothing else.

That piano library in the M3, at only 256mb, at least 10 times smaller as a file, completely KILLED any pianos I had in Goliath. It felt 10 times better, and sounded 10 times better. I mean, it was humiliating for Eastwest right there. That piano sound in the M3 had ALL the dynamics I hoped to get in Goliath, but didn't, even with a file more than 10 times larger.

Many of the sounds I had on my Yamaha Tyros 2, such as nylon guitars, saxes, trumpets, etc, were in fact BETTER than the same instruments in my Eastwest libraries. The Tyros 2 is an 11 years old keyboard. 11 years is a long time for a keyboard, yet many of the sounds were more than a match for Eastwest.

What you hear in the Eastwest demos aren't just the samples....you are hearing some very clever mixing too, which as you know, can make quite a difference.

Piano roll editing, etc....I use none of that. Like I said, when I make a mistake, I record another take. Simple. I need no piano rolls. I don't write music like that. As for handling spiccatos, etc, I am pretty sure that I can do that with a modern keyboard workstation too. In fact, I can do MORE than on a computer.

With the Eastwest libraries (even assuming they sampled the sounds in tune, to start with, which they don't) , I cannot change what sound I get if I press the keys harder or softer. I cannot control other parameters with aftertouch. With a modern keyboard workstation, I can do all these things. And much more.

And best of all: it all works without stress involved. If it worked last time, you know it will most probably work again. Unlike computers.

Creating hurdles for myself? My experience has always been the opposite: got rid of hurdles whenever the computer was taken out of the picture.

Plus, you say you are a full time musician but that you only work sporadically as a composer. I don't doubt none of what you say, but if that's the case, then you need Eastwest even LESS.

The Eastwest samples are just a compromise for the average working composer who needs to deliver a job for a cheap price because the money he got is close to a joke, and can't pay any real musicians. who composes because he has rent to pay and a job to deliver cheaply. Being the average working composer is nothing glamorous or fun..... if some of them uses Eastwest, it's because they have no other choice, not because they like it.That's all. Many people view Eastwest as just an awesome -instrument- in itself, that you just put in your computer and voila', kills anything else out there.

Or even worse, they view it as something that can easily supersede a real instrument such as a modern professional keyboard workstation with sampling capabilities. That's what Eastwest -definitely- it is not. And will never be.

Roland F20, Yamaha MOX
and various others.

Last edited by Epictetus on Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that there are sometimes some real "musical" softwares and VSTi who have been made and thought with a real musical aim and not only for computers geeks.

The benefit of a workstation is that we can work with it both with intuition and rapidly Very Happy

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epictetus, am I understanding correctly then that you mix and master everything on your workstation? That you score to video using a workstation? That you write your parts by hand for your performers to play?
Epictetus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:

If you don't like Play, you can always use VSL, LASS/Kontakt, Garritan, etc.

No thanks Laughing

Besides, I already tried most of everything. If I had to choose, I'd choose Kontakt and what is available for it. But overall: I am no longer interested in computers. For me it's been a huge waste of time.

It's not true that I have no respect for computer nerds who are musicians: please don't misunderstand.

I am speaking of the computer nerd who doesn't know much about music except at a superficial level, which is 85 per cent of all music software developers.

When a software company markets a product for musicians and calls it ' a groove manipulator' I can tell it from miles away that they are -not- musicians.

You say that the effectiveness of computers has been proven by film composers, etc...again, for them it's NEVER been a choice. They had to use a computer because they didn't get paid enough to hire musicians.

No composer would prefer computers to real musicians, given the choice.

Anyways: as you said, to each their own. I am not speaking for everybody and ultimately what someone decides to do or not do it's their business.

I simply clarified that this belief about eastwest or VSTs being the BEST option for a composer, is simply not true. Why don't you ask all the composers who scored soundtracks in the 80's, if they love computers?

I have not heard of one of them, yet, who says 'wow man, yeah I love my computer, it's so exciting'.

We are talking about two things, really. One is that Eastwest is hyped, often by people who have no direct experience with their products, and the other one, is the belief that if you don't use sampling libraries on a computer, you are limiting yourself severely.

I disagree about both things. If you like computers, great, it works for you. It never did for me. I'd rather spend more time on musical skills. It's not like one trains in music for a year, or two, or three, or five, and then he can say he doesn't need to learn anything about music anymore.

All these 'composers' whom you speak about, I mean, it's a fact of life: if you learn more about one thing, you must necessarily learn less about another, because you only have 24 hours a day.

So I just do not understand the logic of investing such disproportionate time on the computer (given the fact that this effort is required, because of their complexity), instead of spending more time on the craft of composition or arrangement itself.

I know this: composers, until about 15 years ago, were all doing fine without computers.

But, if one wants to believe that a computer and a huge sampling library will help them achieve their goals faster and better, fine, it's their time and their money.

I am not saying that computers and sampling libraries for them are useless (although I am no longer interested in them). I am only saying that it's not true that they are better than a keyboard workstation, and that it's not true that they give you better results. And that whoever says this is true, are never the ones who are doing it day in and day out.

And the more I look, the more composers I find who could not care less about computers. They are church organists, classical musicians, jazz musicians, songwriters. All good musicians and good players. I see lots of them on youtube.

Yes, if you want to be a composer you might want to work with computers. But you don't HAVE to. And unless you have to do it day in and day out, then I would seriously question why do you think you need a computer.

And then we get into all the mental traps I was talking about before, such as:

1. it's faster
2. it's cheaper
3. it works out the best
4. it's the most flexible way

etc etc etc.

But, hey. It's a free country. I guess I just have an aversion for computers. But just because I don't care about computers, doesn't mean I am no composer.

A composer is not someone who works with computers. A composer is someone who writes music consistently, using musical processes.

Then, it so happens that a composer also uses a computer, nowadays. But this fact has NOTHING to do with being a composer. It's just an option, it's not a requirement of being a composer.

But again....I have nothing against computer nerds. I respect for whoever puts efforts in an endeavour. All I am saying is that computers aren't indispensable to a composer, for the process of creating music, unless he believes they are.

And also, you seem to believe that just because the majority does something a certain way, then it's the best way.

I am not interested about what the multitude does. Just because Hans Zimmer does this or that, doesn't mean I should do the same. I try stuff for myself, and then decide what I like best. I tried computers for years and achieved little. But with real instruments and a keyboard workstation, I achieved a lot. That's enough proof for me.

I don't know, I find a lot of stuff that to me is not true. For example, I hear many saying that sequencing with Cubase is easier and faster than sequencing with a keyboard workstation like the Motif.

To me, it has always been the clear opposite. Which is what I was saying before: the Kronos, the Motif, etc, are real musical instruments. Computers are just....computers. Smile Good for reading pdfs and making google searches and paying bills online....

Roland F20, Yamaha MOX
and various others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: