Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Triton Pro X... sound from headphones but not main outs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwyck99

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Triton Pro X... sound from headphones but not main outs Reply with quote

I just got a Triton Pro X from an estate sale but it seems that there is no sound coming from the main L/R audio outputs. The owner told me it could very well just be some setting but wasn't sure.

What steps should I take to make sure this is not just due to some setting as opposed to an actual problem with the outputs? Please tell me how to navigate to whatever I need to check, I have no experience with this board and haven't tried making music for about 13 years(last keyboard was an old Ensoniq lol).

Also, what and how should I check to see if this board has any optional installs, sounds, etc that may have been installed?
ErnstDabest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Triton Pro X... sound from headphones but not main outs Reply with quote

The screen, upon powering-on will tell you what expansion(s) are installed in it.
As for the audio issue, I maybe wrong for saying this, but I do believe the headphones and the main
stereo output are hardwired.. The L+R mains probably got worn out from excessive plugging-in-and-
unplugging over the years (likely, a broken solder).

In the meantime, if I was you I would simply get a stereo (Y-splitter) cable plug it in the headphones

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me for my ignorance, but what is the significance of the hardwiring aspect of the outputs? I'm not even sure what that means in regards to audio output jacks or how to picture it. Does that mean it would be easier or more difficult to fix? Are you saying the audio jacks are simply soldered to the board like I have seen on most electronics I have opened up? If so, it seems like it would be an easy fix unless there is something difficult to deal with in accessing the board where those jacks are.

As far as the splitter, is the quality and signal output strength the same though the headphones and the mains? If I hook up an amp and monitors to the splitters, will it sound the same?
ErnstDabest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwyck99 wrote:
Excuse me for my ignorance, but what is the significance of the hardwiring aspect of the outputs? I'm not even sure what that means in regards to audio output jacks or how to picture it. Does that mean it would be easier or more difficult to fix? Are you saying the audio jacks are simply soldered to the board like I have seen on most electronics I have opened up? If so, it seems like it would be an easy fix unless there is something difficult to deal with in accessing the board where those jacks are.

By hardwired I simply mean that they likely share the same audio signal, if my assumption about it being a broken solder
as what caused the problem then it could be an easy fix, I dunno ?.. it all depend on how skillful you are at soldering.. The
cost of repair for such a job shouldn't be more than $75USD repairshops usually charge 50 bucks diagnostic bench fee &
25 per hour for labor....

But first, before you do any of that you could try a factory reset (initialize) and see if that remedies the problem.

Save all your global/programs/combis settings before the reset !!!

You will need to re-load your settings after the reset.

To reset HOLD down the [enter] button and 0 while you turn on the the Triton.. (see if that helps?)

Dwyck99 wrote:
As far as the splitter, is the quality and signal output strength the same though the headphones and the mains? If I hook up an amp and monitors to the splitters, will it sound the same?

Yes, headphone audio quality is the same as the mains L+R.
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would do a factory reset just yet. If all of the programs and combi's seem to be normal using your headphones, it could be possible the problem you have is with the analog board. That's where the output jacks are located. It's not an easy fix, that board is buried deep inside the unit. If you're comfortable doing a replacement on the jacks, the parts are not terribly expensive. It could be they are worn out, but for both to wear out at the same time not likely. Might be worth taking it to a shop to let a pro check it out.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get any manuals with the KB? If not go to http://www.korg.com/us/support/ and download what you need. Good luck.
Dwyck99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really worried about the reset clearing any saved settings or programs since I just got the board, but my biggest concern is whether or not a reset will require me to reload sounds and other things from floppies? I google and a couple people seemed to say it would get rid of preset sounds and I would have to download files off the net and install. Do you know if this is true with factory resets?

I found this... does this mean I will have to download those two files and load the into the board after a reset? Are the files already on the internal memory or is that truly only on the Studio?

Initialization: Hold Enter and 0 while turning it on

Preload: Disk Load (TNFD00P and TNFD01P for Classic, Hard Drive contains preload for Studio)

ROM Check: Given on power up.
ErnstDabest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, my last post on this thread looks retarded.. I really need to learn how to write!

That's what happens when you use a 17' inch monitor to type, then read it back later on a 13' inch. EmbarassedEmbarassed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say, do the repair when you're ready.. in the meantime use a Y-splitter stereo cable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErnstDabest wrote:
Gosh, my last post on this thread looks retarded.. I really need to learn how to write!

That's what happens when you use a 17' inch monitor to type, then read it back later on a 13' inch. EmbarassedEmbarassed

Ernst, I wasn't oblivious to the instructions you typed in the previous post. The ones I found had the instructions shown somewhat differently and with those two files I mentioned so that is why I showed it. The main thing was that the other post I saw mentioned specifically that preset sounds went missing after a reset so I was mainly asking about this line: "Preload: Disk Load (TNFD00P and TNFD01P for Classic, Hard Drive contains preload for Studio)" and whether those were files I would have to download from somewhere to get sounds back. At the time it seemed like you were only saying I should save personal settings and creations, when you mentioned "global/programs/combis settings". I think where I went wrong was not understanding that a "program" may be an actual voice on the keyboard. Am I correct in thinking that or are programs/combis different than the actual list of preset sounds stored in the sound banks? I'm used to sounds just being called "voices" or sounds.

I don't really care about any personal settings the previous owner had stored but I do care if the reset would get rid of sounds. I can't imagine why a factory reset would get rid of any sound that originally came with the keyboard but if that is the case, then I guess that's just how it is. My only thing is that it would be a bit of a hassle to locate my old USB floppy drive(if I even still have it), probably would end up having to buy one if I have to download and save to disk.
ErnstDabest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it.. when I said to save all programs/combis ecetera prior to doing the reset
is because I know the reset procedure wipes clean the Triton's internal memory (RAM chip)
As you've found out you'll need to re-load these (audio sound) programs afterward..

Preload Disk TNFD00P -- contains all the original programs combis global settings, etc.

Preload Disk TNFD01P -- you actually don't need, its just to illustrate the sampling function.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: