Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brief review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Brief review Reply with quote

Hi guys

For what it may or may not be worth, here are my first impressions and short-review comments after a few introductory hours. Bear in mind that I haven’t gotten into sequencing or sampling modes yet and this is a "straight-out-of-the-box" review:

Physical:
    Looks amazing but had to add a couple of butterfly and flower stickers to brighten it up Wink
    Buttons seem more “positive” than my PA3X.
    Keybed is definitely slightly more weighted than my PA3X, very smooth and quiet.
    Aftertouch works the best since PA1X!!! Black keys were always a problem – not any more.
    The whole thing is lighter!!!

Everything else:
    Start up is faster (but no samples at this stage)
    Screen is excellent (apologies to those who don’t like it) – I now need to get out of the habit of using my fingernail to select items – excellent response just like an iPad, bright and clear to read.
    Didn’t ever think I’d say this about any keyboard but I am actually loving the PA4X drums – vast improvement from what I have heard so far (in any keyboard!!).
    New styles (the ones I’ve played so far) are mind blowing and old styles are “fresh” also with some tasteful modifications.
    Sounds have gone up 10 levels – DNC and DNC2 outstanding too.
    I really don’t know the right word to describe the overall sound of the PA4X but I absolutely love it – it has a pure and clean sound but retaining authenticity.
    Haven’t tried the chord sequencer yet but looking forward to that – I liked it on the PA3X and am rapt that we can save the sequences.
    Although I didn’t have any great expectations, I had dreamed that the PA4X might have a great CX3 or B3 and Leslie emulation – not quite the case but the Korg PA4x tonewheel/rotary set up is nice and I am finding it better than PA3X. Compared to Kurzweil’s PC3K “KB3” sound engine, the PA4X is better for sure. At this stage I will hang on to my Kronos for the “B3/Leslie real deal (CX3)” (and for other reasons too).
    I have whined before about how much I dislike and cannot use the “V” (velocity-controlled-rotary) organs – these are organs where the rotary is recorded within the multisample (so adding a rotary effect is pointless) – the “V” organs work with 2 multisamples, one with slow rotary and one with fast and they are activated by velocity – BUT Korg have now included organs where the 2 mulisamples are activated (toggled) by the joystick – great – much nicer (this is a bit like what I had to do on my PA3X).
    Nearly half a terabyte HD – wow – might install my flight simulators on it!!!
    MicroSD card support - great

Well that’s it for now – a lot lot more to try out and mess with but at the risk of being accused as unrealistically biased my rating right now is 10/10.

Happy to answer any questions bearing in mind there are many more experienced PA4X users here like Vex etc… but I'll do my best

PA4X - an outstanding new model - congrats Korg

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Paolo@Korg
Korg Italy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, thank you very much!

Paolo
Jugoslovak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review Pete.
I LOVE my new PA4X... I have just uploaded the newest 1.20 update, everything is working perfect... the ONLY thing I would like to see now for a future update is a re-design on the screen user interface.
When you go into the update os screen, everything is so clean & crisp and easy on the eye... I would LOVE to have that interface screen throughout.
I really like the screen on my Kronos X... I think if that same setup was implemented on the PA4X, that would be the ULTIMATE Smile
Reason 8.3
Kontakt 5.5.1
Bipper88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the review Pete.

I'm thinking of jumping ship from a Tyros 4 so your viewpoints are most helpful.

Cheers

Vic
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Vic

You will NEVER regret it!!!
I do actually like Yamaha but the PA4X is in a class of its own - truly a professional workstation with outstanding arranger functionality second-to-none.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like and seriously whats not to like ?

Regarding the organs and drawbar features those are measured by the fact that I have both a couple of A100s here plus the Crumar Mojo as well as a few Leslies.

Right of the bat the organ sounds on the Pa4x will cut it in a mix, the rotary ain't half bad either. BUT, there is some strange characteristics to the drawbar sound especially when using the the last three drawbars, I have not figure out what it is yet but there is something going on with it. More importantly I really wish Korg would give us the Chorus/Vibrato with adjustable parameters now that would be something.

This all aside the Instrument is great, everytime I sit and play it I don't want to stop ! Thats a sure sign Korg have given us something special which is way ahead of the game. IMHO
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been happy with mine from the start. I used it on the job two days after getting it, and could not be more pleased, especially now that they have added function to the assignable switches.
DonM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: