Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the PA4X 5 days of ownership

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KorgTaff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: the PA4X 5 days of ownership Reply with quote

Well I have had the keyboard for 5 days, and what can i say. Well it is fantastic. Very Happy

I am no great player, and also i only really use arranger keyboards for songwriting, and they are not used for live performance etc, so i don't use half the functions that you guys use.

I paid £2,799 for mine,the 76 keys full size version and traded in my 12 month old PA 900 against it, which i got £900 for, which was pretty good considering they are about £1500 new now.

The sound going through my little set up which is a small amp and speakers and going into my zoom 16 track multi recorder. The sound of the PA4X is much better than the PA 900, which is to be expected as it's a more expensive and also the PA 900 is basically a watered down version of the PA 3X. I saved all the styles i had from the PA 900 and they definitely sound better through the PA4X. How it compares to the PA3X i have no idea. The actual styles themselves are not a lot different to the PA900, there are a few new ones, but a lot of them are the same styles, some have been modified slightly to sound better. I used to have the PA2X a long time ago and the sound quality is definitely better than that. Particularly the drums sound a lot better IMO.

I also own a Tyros 5, a Ketron Audya, a Roland BK5 and have a Casio MZ X500 on order which is due the end of April.

Comparing the Tyros 5 to the Korg PA 4X, is a bit like apples and oranges. The Korg PA sounds more live to me if that makes sense, where the Tyros is more studio, particularly the drums.

Buying TYROS styles packs is a bit of a nightmare, once loaded, when you want to add more, they want to you overwrite your existing packs and then load them all again at once. The Korg is much easier to transfer styles into the user banks.

As i don't use the keyboards for any live applications, i can't give any comparison to how they operate live. Some people say Tyros is better, others Korg. The guy at the music shop where i purchased the keyboard said the Tyros is the better keyboard.

All i can say is I am really enjoying the PA4X right now, I would say it's definitely equal to the Tyros 5 if not slightly better, but then i am only talking really from the styles point of view, and not as a whole functioning keyboard.
Lhill1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Well it sounds we bought our machines at roughly the same time I'm three days in and today is a out the house day so no time familiarising myself.

I have been a Yamaha owner user for 30 years and I originally went to purchase the Tyros 5 but the stark contrast of quality between the two instruments is so obvious and for me to of bought the Yamaha would of been through sentimentality and laziness where the Korg is simply to my ears and also in build quality the better machine. Even the keys are of a better quality. And there physically bigger than the Tyros which is odd.
I'm still getting to grips with the semi weighted touch of the pa4x which is weird but I'm sure after a few weeks it will be fine.

However after the short period of time I have enjoyed owning it. And I am looking forward to getting to know my instrument a little better than current. I am literally every time I turn it on just about managing to get a tune out of it.

Hard work for a long time Yamaha user.
Like you I don't do live performance (yet) but in the home it sound great through the paaX system inbought with the Korg also I liked the idea of having two little powered monitors as well so I treated myself to these as well.

I must say you paid a fair chunk for your pa4x I only paid 85 quid more and got a lot more gear I think on its own the 76 key was under the 2500 mark as o know my bits and bobs were mounting up the new stand monitor stands and monitors themselves as well as a mic and mic stand. And the paaX system. I paid 2865 for all that and I traded in a old s900 Yamaha I guess the prices are a bit different in the different area of the country

Any way I will keep an eye out for your posts and I look forward to hearing how you get on with the Korg as I struggle on to get to know an entire new machine from scratch. Literally couldn't even do a software update without help. Something I was certainly not use to with the Yamaha

Any how best wishes
And keep at it. Hope you have as much fun as I intend on having.

Thanks for listening to me ramble on

Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: