Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2X to 4X Upgrade???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: 2X to 4X Upgrade??? Reply with quote

I have been happy with a 2X for several years. Now I’m trying to decide if upgrading to a 4X is worth the money. Finally had the opportunity to try out a 4X yesterday thanks to the guys at Sweetwater.
Thought I would share my impressions…
Basic layout is different but not much. Knowing the 2x made it easy to navigate the 4x.
I was very impressed with the keyboard action. Seems a little more weighted than my 2x; to me, a really big improvement.
Hard to tell much about the sounds but they seemed better and there were more DN sounds. Styles seemed a bit better.
I was prepared for a display that was not the greatest because of previous comments in this Forum but it was far worse than I expected.
For now, I have decided not to upgrade. To me, the improvements don’t justify the expense. However, there was a period of time before I bought the 2x that I felt the same way so I’m hoping that some of you enjoying a 4x can convince me there are enough differences to change my mind.
Last, just a few comments about Sweetwater. I have done business with them for years and they have been excellent. Yesterday was the first time at their facility. To say it was impressive is an understatement. Don’t miss it if you ever have the opportunity. As to the demo … they knew I was interested in a 4x. They called me when they were in stock. We agreed on a demo time. When I arrived the unit was unpacked and ready to go. No pressure even though I decided against purchasing at this time. However,if I change my mind, I will buy through Sweetwater.
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pa4x is a huge improvement comparing to the 2x...
Just to tell some of the bigger differencies:
The pa2x has 256mb (128compressed) factory sound library while the 4x has 5.1gb.
The pa2x has 256mb (if upgraded) of sample ram while the 4x has 800mb (when compressed )and need no upgrade!
The touch screen on the 4x is capacitive and so way better than the old resistive touch of the 2x!
There is Guitar Mode 2 on the 4x while the 2x has the old Guitar Mode.
These are the main differencies that make me consider going from 3x to 4x (and not from 2x to 3x).
Whats keeping me back are the bugs that pa4x still has but i am sure they will fix them as soon as possible.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron

Did you get my PM (sent 25th March) re the contact:- my friend who has made this same change?

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. You mention a few things I had not considered.
I agree Korg will fix the bugs but I cannot foresee a "fix" for the display. It may be capacitive but the image quality is terrible. Very hard for me to spend $4K and go backwards on any feature.

Does the 3x have the improved keyboard action or is that new to the 4x?

Ron
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron
Completely respecting that we all have our own requirements and opinions, I actually love the screen and could never refer to it as terrible (sorry) - I think that some were expecting an iPad resolution quality screen due to it being capacitive - hmmmm would be nice but doesn't bother me at all. I agree - doubt Korg will change the display (but stranger things have happened).

I find the PA4X-76 action more weighted than the PA3X-76 and briefly took me a short while to get used to it - but I have to say that I prefer it too.
Aftertouch is the best since PA1XPro.

OK I am completely honest when I say that I was also a little concerned about this upgrade - I LOVED my PA3X-76 - the BEST keyboard I have owned.
The PA4X however (and surprisingly) blew me away far more than I expected (and I've a lot more yet to try on it)
Drums are a massive improvement.
New styles are awesome and so much fun.
Old styles sound SO much better - I guess mainly due to the new sounds but the whole keyboard sound is "clean and clear" but also with improved authenticity.
DNC and DNC2 are just to die for - so wish they were on my Kronos!!!
Haven't messed with guitar mode yet but if the "guitars" in the styles are anything to go by - well yes!!!
The OS changes to the interface structure take a little getting used to but so far I have to say that the changes are a great improvement.
Although I am still fumbling a bit I am finding that everything works superbly (OK I know about the glitches).
On a silly note, it looks fantastic (don't go for the sticker Wink )

So is this annoying over-biased "positive-Pete" that gets accused of working for Korg - yes it's me!!
I have one thing to say:- My views are simply MY honest opinions from my personal experience and in relation to my personal arranger needs.
For a very long time, Korg arrangers have ticked ALL the boxes for me.
I've said several times before, if Yamaha, Ketron, Roland ever come out with a better or even equal product, then I would be completely open to change.
At the moment, those manufacturers are a long way behind (IMHO) and so "Korg it is".

The things I dislike about the PA4X - will have to get back to you on that.....

Pete Very Happy
liongold

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+100. I love the stiffer action as well. More of a piano feel than organ. Still not enough to make me dump my trusty M50 88, but close. (Yammy CP4 would be nice.)
Liongold Cool
muzz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me....2x is last stable korg arranger....pa3 have bugs but pa4 have lot of bugs....i'm owner of pa3 and next week i will buy pa4 and i dont know why....just need to have the newest arr....but biggest difference betwen 2x and 3x for my usage is the volume for vocalist and search option...others differences are small for that money....pa4 have a big rom with sounds and some small make up....but i can't understand that im gonna buy some keyboard with price of 4000$ and that piece of electronic have lot of bugs, and tablets with 100$ price have better display and much more ram memory....i must be a crazy musician loved in korg....

Question is how you use a pa2...what are you using on it and then we can try to find out is it good option to change pa2

sorry for a bad english.... :/
Ron

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your replies. For now I'm going to stay with my 2X.
But just to be clear, this is not about Korg vs competitors as I do prefer Korg's arrangers.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your decision Ron - I'ts important to go with what is best for you.

Pete Very Happy
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people vow that its wisest to step up every other model... So in that case, pa2x to pa4x should be a wise step...

Soundwise the difference is quite large between the pa2x and the pa4x
liongold

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ron, I've got a killer PA3x76 For sale if you need a great broad at a great price. We could make everybody happy. The step up in these two is like night and day, believe me. Besides, we're not too far apart geographically. TTYL
Liongold Cool
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it that some dislike about the Pa4x screen ? Sure it might have been nice to have a Kronos type screen but then again having thought about buying a Kronos before the Pa4x and spending some hours with it I found the Kronos screen way too packed with info and small text and controls. The Pa4x whilst it could be argued should have the best screen technology bearing in mind the price tag of the product it has the screen that some people are moaning about, Bad Quality etc.

I find personally that the screen is bright, clearly laid out and easy to work without having to keep looking at it to find what you need. Yes its workman like but then again I like that in a product and out of the various issues we have run up against the screen is way way down on my list of improvements.

I have worked with my Korg Triton Pro and again the screen on that is easy to navigate and work with even on stages that are dimly lit and I cant see the Pa4x any more difficult to work with in that environment especially given the fact that Korg have thoughtfully provided a means to adjust the angle.

Just my two cents imho
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintjamman wrote:
What is it that some dislike about the Pa4x screen ? Sure it might have been nice to have a Kronos type screen but then again having thought about buying a Kronos before the Pa4x and spending some hours with it I found the Kronos screen way too packed with info and small text and controls. The Pa4x whilst it could be argued should have the best screen technology bearing in mind the price tag of the product it has the screen that some people are moaning about, Bad Quality etc.

I find personally that the screen is bright, clearly laid out and easy to work without having to keep looking at it to find what you need. Yes its workman like but then again I like that in a product and out of the various issues we have run up against the screen is way way down on my list of improvements.

I have worked with my Korg Triton Pro and again the screen on that is easy to navigate and work with even on stages that are dimly lit and I cant see the Pa4x any more difficult to work with in that environment especially given the fact that Korg have thoughtfully provided a means to adjust the angle.

Just my two cents imho

The Kronos has a decade old touchinterface and that shows, as you said, its much to clouded to work in live situations...

Pa4x has a very efficient interface, ready for live use, isnt that whats important?
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pa4x has a very efficient interface, ready for live use, isnt that whats important?

Again for me yes !
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
KorgTaff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have the PA2X and now own the PA4X and it's way better, sound quality and styles have improved a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: