Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KP3 into Yamaha MG10XU

View previous topic :: View next topic  
benji

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: KP3 into Yamaha MG10XU Reply with quote

Here's my issue:

I want to have my KP3 affect all synths running thru my Yamaha MG10. So I plugged the KP3's Line In into the FX Send, and Line Out into the Monitor Out below it (I can't find the word "Return" anywhere in the manual and assume this is it).

However, I can't adjust the volume of the KP3 - which is coming through as a synth - and it's not working as a dynamic processor on any of the other synths. It's treating it like another instrument. What gives?

I'm no expert when it comes to these things -- in fact, I've owned both of them for only two days so far and just got all the cables together today. Thanks!
benji

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info:

There's no return on the same jack as the send... here's the manual. It says nothing that I can decipher on the matter. http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file?language=en&site=countrysite-master.prod.wsys.yamaha.com&asset_id=61481
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using USB out to your comp for recording desk output?
The reason I ask is kp3 works best in direct mode, although it has a send mode to work with mixers as a send effect. This compromises the KPs effects like compression.
I would recommend set kp3 to direct via small switch on back, then Jack mixer master output (stereo buss) into kp input. Then kp output into line in on audio recorder (pc/mac ?).
Unless your desk has buss out put aswell as master stereo out.(cant tell on my mobile).
If you have prefade send on your effects send or seperate stereo bus on desk, then you could Jack that into kp then output kp onto any spare input pair on desk. This would allow USB recording of kp and intire desk.
Don't use monitor out for kp return, as this is an output.You need an input to return your effect.
whiskey bravo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came here searching for some help, maybe I can help for some help lol

Since I also have a MG10XU and a KP3+ that I'd like to use as an external effects processor..

I had it hooked up with a mono TS to L/R RCA adapter (a Y adapter, plugged in to FX Send), going to KP3, then regular RCA cables for the KP3 out back in to channel 7/8 (L/R) on the mixer. Basically since the mixer has no proper FX return, you just an empty channel to bring the FX mix back in. Adjusting levels as necessary for good mix.

I began experiencing some issues with signal distortion, though, even when not using the KP3 at all (just being on with FX levels being sent). It seemed like flipping the switch on the back to SEND solved the issue, until recording a sample (clean sample with no effects) started experiencing the same signal distortion. I tried isolating equipment away from each other, thinking maybe it was something interfering with the cabling, turned devices on and off one by one to see if something was affecting it.. Nothing. Hooked it up all alone to an MP3 player, no signal distortion. So by process of elimination it would seem to be something with the levels in the mixer, or somewhere else in the mixer.

I've had it for close to a month and all of a sudden this problem popped up, maybe a component went out (or is going out). Or I jacked with levels and somehow now my mix is bad. I'm not sure, but very disheartening when you can't figure out how to solve it. The best I can figure is maybe somehow my levels got out of whack from where I had them, but even adjusting the volumes and fx depth down to minimum amounts it still starts to degrade the signal. And on top of that it's mainly low frequency sounds, hardly noticeable on higher pitched sounds, which is even more baffling to me.

As for the OP, FX Send > KP Input > KP Output > Empty Channel on mixer is how it's supposed to work.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi whiskey bravo.
Initially it sounds like the splitter may be doing something weird..?
But first check your return channel 7&8 don't have FX send turned up.
Also, what does your distortion sound like? You say bass noises. Does it sound like phasing (without the frequency sweeps) or is it straight up crackly and noise on low end?
Maybe include what else is plugged in instrument wise and how you record, just out of interest ,for different work suggestions. Do you prefer KP3 in send or direct mode best?
whiskey bravo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spheric, thanks for the reply. I did change out the cables and adapter but still had the same problem. Double checked all the levels, as far as I could tell the mixer settings are ok, but even on very low settings the distortion is introduced. As I said, close to a month with no problems like that, the only thing that changed was the addition of an Akai APC mini for controlling Ableton. Some other comments I read while browsing for a solution mentioned a ground loop being created when they hooked the KP3 up to their pc with usb. My KP3 is not hooked via usb, but it's possible adding the APC had something to do with interference, although unhooking it did not solve the problem, so maybe not? As for the sound itself, I guess it's more of the crackly noise, but it did take away a lot of the bass sound, almost like a bad/improper connection. In general, I'm still kind of a noob at this so I'm not sure I can give a more detailed/useful idea of what's happening. For the mean time I just stopped using it as the effects processor and hooked it up to the minilogue. There are no problems with it set up like this, but I do miss having the kp3 effects for any instrument.

I'm going to break down my setup this weekend and re-arrange it. If the problem still occurs I'll upload a track on soundcloud so you can hear the noise, maybe that will give a better idea. I basically just have a mic, minilogue, novation circuit and ipad going into the mixer, usb out to the computer for recording. Nothing too fancy.

As for direct vs send, I was mainly using the direct before the problem as it had a fuller sound IMO. Changing to send while I was having the problem cut out the passive distortion I was getting (ie, I could set the fx level on the mixer without distortion until I started playing, whereas in direct mode the distortion was present whether I was playing or not if the fx level was up) If that makes sense.. Lol
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok you've been very detailed in your reply.
Nothing concrete was springing to mind, but that last paragraph has given a suggestion of mixing dry signals with latent (milli sec) kp3 copies of audio.
Are you sure its not this? Or maybe your mixer is miss behaving with some cross talk, leak , causing this. The fact that direct is constant dist with send only on some FX led me to this.
Still ? To me .
Yes brake up set up. Check FX return through another set of inputs. I agree it does sound like the mixer. Check KP with headphones while recreating distortion and check its not KP , then check mixer with headphones while monitoring via speakers to. Ofcourse check KP output cables too via a swap.
Good luck and post back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: