Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wavestation Sysex Import Tools
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Wavestation Sysex Import Tools Reply with quote

Wavestation Sysex Import Tools

Introduction

If you're going to import any of the many available Wavestation sysex files into the Legacy Wavestation you might find these tools useful.

Wavestation Sysex Files

Many of the Wavestation sysex files available contain not just one sysex dump, but multiple dumps inside a single file. This is necessary because a Wavestation Performance is made up of a number of Patches and those in turn may be built using a number of custom Wavesequences. So Wavestation sysex files often contain a dump of each of these supporting items along with the Performances themselves - all packed into a single file for convenience.

Legacy Wavestation Sysex Import

The Legacy Wavestation is able to import most types of sysex data from the original Wavestation. However version 1.0 of the application will only read one dump from a given file, and not import the supporting data that was described above.

WS Syx Type

Before attempting to import a Wavestation sysex file, it's a good idea to identify what the file contains and whether that is compatible with the Legacy Wavestation. The WS Syx Type tool helps you with this. You simply start up the application and drop a sysex file onto it from the Explorer/Finder and it will the reveal the type of data in the file and whether it is compatible with the Legacy Wavestation.

WS Syx Type for Mac OS X
http://daz.korgforums.com/WSSyxTypeOSX.dmg

WS Syx Type for Windows XP
http://daz.korgforums.com/WSSyxType.zip

WS Syx Split

If WS Syx Type reports that the sysex file you dropped onto it is of the type "Multiple Sysex dumps in single file", you can use the tool WS Syx Split to break up that file into individual sysex files that will be compatible with the Legacy Wavestation.

You simply start up the application and drop the sysex file onto it from the Explorer/Finder and it will create some new sysex files whose name is based on the original file name, but with the type of the contained data and the bank number appended.

For example if you had a file such as "aquila2.syx" on your desktop and dropped it on WS Syx Split the following files would be created from it :

aquila2_AllPatches_Bank1.syx
aquila2_AllPerformances_Bank1.syx
aquila2_AllWaveSequences_Bank1.syx

Those three files can then be imported into the Legacy Wavestation ... and enjoyed in their fullness Wink

WS Syx Split for Mac OS X
http://daz.korgforums.com/WSSyxSplitOSX.dmg

WS Syx Split for Windows XP
http://daz.korgforums.com/WSSyxSplit.zip

If you want to "bulk process" a load of sysex files in one go, simply select multiple files in the Explorer/Finder and drop them onto WS Syx Split.

Both of these tools are Freeware and are provided "as is".

Daz.

Thanks to Jerry K for his help and technical input and extra big thanks to all the people that have shared their Wavestation sounds ...

Last edited by Daz on Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:49 am; edited 5 times in total
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great places to find Wavestation sounds

Korg Wavestation Trading Post
http://www.zycha.com/wave_frame.html

Dan Philips' Website
http://www.danphillips.com/wavestation/ws_sysex.htm

Wavestation Patch Archive
http://www.seriously-productions.freeserve.co.uk/wavestation/

Daz.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note this software not quite as necessary if you're using the new 1.0.1 version of the Legacy Collection as Korg have added the ability to Import "Mixed Data" to the Wavestation, for better loading of Sys. Ex. data files found on the 'Net.

Daz.
Mastermalleus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
A friend of mine (my father, actually Wink ) had the Wavestation a couple of years ago (and has never forgiven himself for selling it) and now has the Legacy. I tried it and it sounds more than excellent! I think he has the latest version from Korg but he is still not able to load some of the sysexes for the Wavestation without your program splitting it first... He found a couple of commercial Wavestation patches on an old Zip-drive and tried to convert them as well... But the Wavestation app donīt want to load them - why is that?
The banks he tried was a couple of Prorec banks (in sysex) for Wavestation... Could you tell, Daz?

Sincerely,
Richard
Tomcat
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, FWIW, when I first got my Wavestation EX keyboard a year ago I did a LOT of web searching and one of the things I found was that quite a few people had trouble getting Prorec sysex files to load. It seems that somehow their "master" card got corrupted and they kept selling copies anyway and there were some "interesting" exchanges between people who felt they were ripped off and some people at Prorec trying to defend themselves. I don't remember for sure where those posts were but it was a bulletin board format so it would have to have been one of the Yahoo sites or the Wavestation Mailling List site.

Depending on how old and where those Prorec files came from, this might or might not be relevant.

Tom
Mastermalleus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tomcat! Iīll ask him where he got the files, and whether they worked on the Wavestation or not... If they didnīt work on the Wavestation, I doubt that they will work on WavestationVSTi...

Sincerely,
Richard
Mastermalleus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did work on Wavestation earlier, but perhaps the files has been somewhat corrupted when waiting on a Zipdrive for a while? But if so, Dazīs program wouldnīt recognize it either, would it? Well... the program recognizes the files and is able to split them, but WS VSTi wonīt load them... Strange...

Richard
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi R.,

When you drop the files onto the WS Syx Type application what type does it report the files to be ?

Daz.
Mastermalleus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see... It says "Multiple sysex dumps in single file (Incompatible)"... Thatīs it... But so it says also with files that do work with the Legacy...
I myself is planning to invest in this Legacy thing, īcause I think itīs very very good (especially the Legacy Cell and the Wavestation), so Iīm already downloading every sysex set I can find...
Help!?

Richard
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you use you my splitting program to split the file whose type is "Multiple sysex dumps in single file (Incompatible)" what are the names of the files it creates ? Those names indicate the types of the individual dumps in the multi-dump message and might indicate why the Wavestation might not like them.

Cheers,

Daz.
Mastermalleus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Hereīs an example of a split .syx-files:
* prorec2_AllPatches_Bank1
* prorec2_AllPerformances_Bank1
* prorec2_AllWaveSequences_Bank1

If I can see correctly, the same split names appears with other banks that do work with the WS... Weird...

Richard
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those names would suggest types of dump that can be read. You've seen that they the same types as other files that work, are the files also the same size as other files that work ?

Daz.
Mastermalleus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letīs see...
Hereīs the names and sizes of the Prorec file:
* prorec2_AllPatches_Bank1 - 29.6 Kb
* prorec2_AllPerformances_Bank1 - 17.7 Kb
* prorec2_AllWaveSequences_Bank1 - 17.4 Kb

And here are two others to compare with:
* BENS_WS5_AllPatches_Bank2 - 29.1 Kb
* BENS_WS5_AllPerformances_Bank2 - 17.6 Kb
* BENS_WS5_AllWaveSequences_Bank2 - 17.1 Kb

* pa_01_AllPatches_Bank1 - 29.1 Kb
* pa_01_AllPerformances_Bank1 - 17.6 Kb
* pa_01_AllWaveSequences_Bank1 - 17.1 Kb

Hmm... I guess that speaks for itself... What could possibly do this thing?
Would it be better if you tried one out (I could send you a file that has been dumped the same way), and then perhaps you could figure it out and come up with a solution?

Sincerely,
Richard
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RIchard:

You could also send me the files to check.

I recall that Jonathan at ProRec was having some trouble at one time with his WS Sys. Ex. files and I helped him to correct them - this was way before Legacy time. So perhaps these are the earlier/broekn files and need to be corrected again...

Anyway - let's try to sort this out, OK?

Regards,

Jerry
Mastermalleus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Jerry!

I tried to sort things out myself, but unfortunately with no luck...
Iīve read the structure, and even the malfunctioning ones begin with this:
All_patches: F0 42 30 28 4C
All_Performances: F0 42 30 28 4D
All_Waveseq: F0 42 30 28 54

It all ends with F7 as stated in all sysex manuals...
Iīve tried to remove parts from the beginning and the end of the files, so that it has exactly the same amount of data as the ones that do function, but with no luck...
Wavestation librarians cannot read the files either, nor does the Soundiver...

So, Iīve exceeded my limited knowledge, and now pledge for anyone to help out...
Are you still on, Jerry? Daz? Anyone?
Should I try something else?

Best regards,
Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: