Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gadget pianos playability and latency

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jleworld@icloud.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Gadget pianos playability and latency Reply with quote

The pianos,electric pianos, and clav section are not playable. All the sounds are from the module app but have not been programmed for realistic velocity.they do not respond to soft touch. I'm not sure if it is a latency issue as much as a playability issue. Either way they are not usable to me. GRATE APP VERRY TRIPPY ! Korg geeks please fix this much love
xp50player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the adjustable velocity curve.
howardS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xp50player, how do you adjust the velocity curve of the Module sounds from within Gagdet? I know you can adjust it in Module but Jleworld@icloud.com was saying and I agree that the velocity curve seems to be a problem in Gadget.
fungle123

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, the response to velocity is poor, there are too many jumps in volume and timbre (not smooth change of samples)

i have just done a test where i set up a MIDI file repeating a single note, increasing velocity each time by 1 ( i.e. 127 notes, velocities 1-127 ). i get Module to play this MIDI signal and record the audio. looking at the resulting waveform, what should be a smoothly increasing "curve" is definitely not!

at some points (generally towards the higher velocities) there are distinct changes in timbre between consecutive velocity increments. these changes are not gradual but abrupt - totally unlike an acoustic instrument, also totally unlike the hardware digital pianos that have been around for years (i've been using a Casio Privia and a Roland something-or-other, amongst others).

for example, in Module, using the "natural grand" sound you will notice at velocity 87 a new sound kicks in - the subtle nuance of the performer changing from velocity 86 to 87 is anything but subtle when you hear what Module does!

******is it possible to add attachments to these comments? if so, i can post visuals of the waveforms and also the audio.*******

as i am a performer interested in the portability of the ipad/keyboard system i have found that the band-aid solution is to adjust the velocity curve within module so that it cuts off before the annoying changes happen, basically drawing the line from the bottom left corner (zero) to 75% on the far right (i generally use the Wurlie and the Upright piano sounds). this of course reduces the overall dynamics of the instrument which is at least less annoying.

if Korg would allow us a second edit point in the velocity curve then i could put a bit more dynamics back in, without it suddenly triggering those "pinging" high-velocity tones.

in fact, having tried several iOS piano instruments i find that the ability to truncate the velocity curve is what sets Module apart from the others - it's the only one with a band-aid, so i am continuing to use it.

i was hoping for a professional instrument but unfotunately this is just a shiny toy, and i don't think that is due necessarily to any limitations of the host hardware.

i hope this issue gets fixed as Korg has always been a maker of quality professional gear.

[/img]
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That annoying jump in timbre in ALL the pianos I have tried in the app store (iGrand, Korg Module full version with ivory expansion etc) drove me nuts to the point where I have made my own pianos and other sounds.
It is astounding to me that with a few weeks work that I have (at least to my ears) more satisfying instruments to play than the likes of Korg could come up with. (No not blowing my own trumpet - really just plain astonished!)
You can hear a sample of the Piano at the bottom of this page. All sounds are freely downloadable.
https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/
Fellow Aussie,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: