Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can Triton Rack control two keyboards?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
galtem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Can Triton Rack control two keyboards? Reply with quote

Hi! I play in a band and we use two Tritons live. I love them and don't want to switch, but these things are getting older and break more often, and the touch screen is always a scary worry since they don't make them anymore.

So, instead of switching to all new synths and spending untold hours reprogramming all the live sequence setups we use, can I switch to the Rack seemlessly?

Can I use my existing floppies with sequences loaded on them and use it in a Rack right out of the box? The same banks, same patches, same everything in the Rack as the Triton keyboard?

If the answer is Yes, then a few more questions:
1. Are these the same, less, or more physically reliable than the Triton keyboard? I'm excited that it doesn't have a touch screen as that seems to be the fatal flaw in the keyboard.

2. speaking of touchscreen, how's the replacement navigation work? pretty easy, or royal pain? Does it use arrow keys or something?

3. Most importantly for us though, can the Rack control two keyboard at once? My existing Triton is used mainly in sequence mode. if we're playing a song, I will set up the sequence with the song name and then assign different parts of the keyboard to have different sounds mapped to it, all on midi channel 1. Sometimes I run out of room on the keyboard and have to assign sounds to midi channel 2, and then attach a second keyboard via midi to play those sounds. Can the Rack do that?

Sorry for the long post, I didn't see the answers to these questions in the forum. Really hoping I can stick w/ the Triton, even if it's in Rack form, I love the sounds!

-- Evan
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to all your questions is "yes," with one caveat: I've never used a Triton - I've only ever had the rack - so I can't speak to the difference from touchscreen/dial twiddling.

..Joe
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like Joe said, the answer is yes to all of the above.

I used to own the TR Rack as well as the Triton Studio, and it was great.

You navigate using the up/down/left/right arrows. Editing is a bit of a pain but you get used to it pretty quickly. It just takes longer than if you had a touch screen but it's definitely doable.
galtem

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thx guys! I saw one for sale, think I will pick it up and give it a try! Very Happy
galtem

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, one other question -- since it has no touch screen, how involved is it to switch between Sequences? Live, we have to switch fairly quickly between songs. Let's say you had 6 "pages" worth of songs loaded as individual sequences ("page" meaning you have to scroll to the right 6 times) -- how long would it take you to go from a song on page 1 to a song on page 6? thanks!
ErnstDabest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to all your questions is indeed, yes ! However the rack is not suited
to function as a master midi controller (for one it lacks a keybed plus many other
critical features found in the KB version)...

It doesn't have a midi sequencer like the KB version, what it has is a song-mode
for playing back midifiles and songs created on the Triton KB. There is no editing
options available whatsoever should you wish to tweak the song later-on....

You would need to program the rack extensively, first, in order to use it for the
intended aplication(s) that your inquiring about... AND,... You definitely will need
the Triton KB version alongside to help make all those preparations.

I'm speaking from experience on paper marketing reps will have you believe the
rack version could do EVERYTHING that the KB can in actuality Korg left alot out...
so, I'm just telling you ahead of time what to expect.

Hope what I wrote didn't scare you, tho.. from buying the rack ?

('cause that is not my intention)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for replying, ErnstDabest! I'm not sure I follow 100%. So, I have the KB version, I just don't want to take it on stage all the time if the Rack can do the same thing with a midi cointroller KB attached to it, ie, I can load a floppy and the Rack will understand the sequences I've programmed and will have the same sounds in it's memory as the KB version.

Our sequences aren't what I would really call "sequences". We have nothing that plays back automatically, they are just patch and keyboard layout maps -- like a 16 channel Combi, with different sounds mapped to different parts of the KB along with effects and whatnot.

I have a another KB I use as a midi controller already to extend the "real estate" of the existing Triton KB I have now (all sounds are assigned to midi channel 2 for it, channel 1 for the Triton itself). So, I can plug a controller into the Rack to play it's sounds (you'd have to, right?, it has no keys, it's just a brain).

It sounds like it could play back our sequences, but we couldn't edit them though it, right? Weird how they would leave that out, that's a pretty basic function of the KB. As long as it can play them back, thats OK, we can edit using the KB at home.

I still don't know how hard it would be though to switch between sequences. Our floppies contain 1 file to load that has like 60 sequences saved on it, and to switch between songs we use the touch screen. Since the Rack has no touch screen, how do you switch between songs, and how much of a pain / how fast is it to do so?

thanks!
ErnstDabest

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you currently have a fullhead of hair.. it will be missed !

here's a before picture of Paul Shaffer w/ hair.. Confused

The rack will playback song sequences exactly as you had them saved/imported
using the Triton KB. When making preparations be sure that the sounds in each
program banks are identical. This will guarantee that all your sounds match in
both units (rack and keyboard version).

However..

During song playback there are no available settings to adjust from the Rack.

No settings for muting/soloing tracks
No settings for fine-tuning, transpose
No settings for a start/stop footswitch
No settings for sound-selection (patch change)
No settings for panning if you want to steer a sound left, right, of center
No settings for volume should you want to raise or lower a track's level in the mix
No settings for effects which sound different when performing in different location

hence..

Paul Shaffer; he actually plays a Hammond B3.

(imagined if he had a Triton rack ?)

galtem wrote:
Weird how they would leave that out, that's a pretty basic function of the KB. As long as it can play them back, thats OK, we can edit using the KB at home.

Live tweak is a must, performance won't sound the same from venue to venue.

That's the problem.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, love Paul Schafer, thx Smile

Oh good, I think we will be OK, just a few unknowns remaining - we never switch any of that stuff you listed live while playing; there's no time to switch anything in the middle of playing a track (we're at the mercy of the sound guy, who NEVER turns the damn keys up loud enough. I mean come on, songs by Depeche Mode and A-Ha sort of NEED the keys right? since that's what they're based on! sorry, quick rant over Confused ).

two things we do need though live:
1) the ability to raise or lower overall volume since, unfortunately, the volumes aren't the same across all 60+ sequences, and sometimes need to be feathered live depending on the rest of the band's volume.
2) the ability to use the pitch bender

With the KB version, you have a volume slider and pitch bender -- I've noticed when I hook up a second keyboard to my Triton KB to expand the "real estate", that none of that secondary keyboard's functions do anything -- bender, volume slider, anything other than how hard you hit the keyboard (sensitivity).

with a keyboard hooked up to the rack, does the keyboard's volume slider and pitch bender work?? That's really all we need live is the volume and bender to work.

Also, still looking at how to actually switch songs on the Rack -- how quick to get from "page 1, song 1" to a song 6 "pages" away?

thanks for your help and guidance!
galtem

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one for sale and i tried it out. Here's the verdict / what I noticed:

Pros:
1. It was capable of loading the sounds from my SNG files and I could play them back in Multi mode.
2. It has an Output knob to adjust overall volume -- a must for on stage
3. It has the same realtime controllers as the keyboard, and we vary the EG Release a lot, so that's a must for on stage as well
4. It might be capable of two keyboard controllers playing form it at the same time, we couldn't get one of my controllers to change its MIDI In/Out/Thru settings, but the guy said it would have worked if we could have. I may go back w/ my other Triton instead (bring two tritons, MIDI settings are easier to change than on my JV-80) and see if that works as a two controller setup.
5. Size -- it's tiny compared to the Triton keyboard, that's a huge plus if we travel on a plane.

Cons:
1. Really only one - it looks like a pain in the ass to change between songs. with the keyboard version's touchscreen, you can page forward and back 7 songs at a time and see them all -- with the rack, you twist the knob one song at a time and it was pretty touchy... I could see it being a pain to go from song 8 to song 43 quickly on stage. Not sure if there is an easy way around it...

Verdict:
Well, it does 95% of what I want it to, and with no-reprogramming or creating new sounds from scratch which is huge. If we get to the point of flying somewhere, or if I need to replace a Triton that I have (I have 4 working, plus 1 not, and we need 2 to function), then I could see switching to Racks at that point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Rack All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: