Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SD card?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: SD card? Reply with quote

Need help with the non volatile SD card. I realize it is a smaller version of memory storage normally found in phones & cameras, but it's the first time I've come across it in a Keyboard. The manual says the Pa4X is shipped without one.

What does it provide non volatile storage for if one is installed? And is there a limit in storage capacity? Is it just "auxiliary" memory for styles or songs or global data, etc?

As far as I know there are at least 3 physical sizes of SD cards (Standard, Mini, & Micro), 6 speed classes (including UHS). Which one is correct for the Pa4X?

SDSC, SDHC, SDXC, SDIO, UHS-1or UHS-2?
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be microSD - SDHC up to 32GB has been reported as OK (I have a 16GB SDHC class-10 one currently)

Just treat it like a USB/disk drive - store anything you want on it.

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarmaTE,

Thanks for the response.

When you say treat it like a USB disk drive, is there a preferred method for where to store what?

For instance, new sounds imported by sampler to a Class 10 SDHC, new styles & songs to USB drive? (assumption made that the USB drive would have larger capacity), but could be the other way around too.

The reason I'm asking is because I don't know what the internal architecture is and whether the USB is a faster signal path than the SD card or are they equivalent?. Is there any place I can dig up that info?

My intention is to sample & import selected sounds from: Oasys, Wavestation, T1, & M1 to the Pa4X to have them at hand when creating songs. Picking the "best of the best" so to speak, not the entire sound set from each.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenackr wrote:
For instance, new sounds imported by sampler to a Class 10 SDHC, new styles & songs to USB drive? (assumption made that the USB drive would have larger capacity), but could be the other way around too.

Hi kenackr

You can just use the microSD and USB-flash and internal hard drive in exactly the same way - create your own directories, store SETs, STYLEs, SAMPLEs - whatever you wish.
Yes, I think you can get larger USB-flash than microSD - not sure but in terms of "speed" it is really irrelevant as nothing is streaming from those devices.

I really never use "SD" cards except for in my camera, however I decided to put a 4GB one in my PA4X and I use it as another backup for my critical performance SETs.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are on the subject of storing when I first got my Pa4x I ended up with stuff saved on Pen USB drives and the Disk. This was ok at first when I was finding my way around but then I arrived at a Band Rehearsal with one of the Pen Drives left elsewhere. Result Setlist could not find some of my files.

This then led me to conclude that if I was taking the Pa4x with me then best all info to run the show is stored on it. What I have done now is to store my working files on the Korg HD with backups on the Disk along with Backups on a Pen USB Drive.

Is this the best way of me storing Pete ?
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
bobeld@aol.com

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: SD CARD Capacity Reply with quote

I know that it is not the recommended capacity, but I have been using a 64GB SD card by Sandisk with no problems. I use it to store midi files and mp3's. My card is a high speed card (for quickest access) and I see no difference between it and using a harddrive. Loading a song is instantaneous when you touch the select icon on the touchscreen.
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobeld,

Thanks for your reply.

I have not been able to find out what the recommened capacity is. Would you tell me where you found that piece of information?
bobeld@aol.com

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenackr

I actually wrote to Korg USA before I purchased. They said 32GB although they were pretty sure that 64 would work. After I purchased I asked again and the official answer was 32GB.
First response:
Hi Bob,

Thanks for contacting Korg USA Product Support. We’re not sure if you received a response to your last inquiry. If not, we apologize for the delay!

Yes, but you can have a larger memory storage with the added hard drive.

We haven’t tested the limit as of yet but you should be able to install a 64 GB micro sd card with no issues.

Best Regards,

Product Support

2nd response (after purchase)
Hi Bob,

So glad to hear that you finally received the Pa4X!!!!

Pa4X support SD, SDHC and SDHC-UHS (Ultra High Speed).

The maximum size supported it is up to 32 GB.

Enjoy!!!!

Again - I am using 64GB without a problem and have been since February.
Marrantz

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using 64GB SDHC with no issue's.
Since Owning Pa4X, I searched for information regarding what size/type of SD card was recommended but found none, so I purchased a 32GB & a 64GB installed the 64GB first and it worked and has been working fine with no problems.

Cheers

Steve
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I think I'm getting the courage to push the envelope more.

I've seen some 128 GB SD cards, so I'm going to give that a try. Since the card is Micro size, I don't want to go overboard at first blush, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The only thing that concerns me is heat build up, so if you're running calm, cool, and collected @ 64, I see no reason not to try 128 GB. I'll keep an ice bucket on the table for emergency cool downs and wine. Smile
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Thanks much for the information on the Korg response. Since both you & Steve have been adventurous @ 64 I'm going to up the price of poker to 128 GB and see what happens. You can never have too much memory!
Bernie9

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had keyboards that wouldl read their maximum(if there is one) and ignore the rest. I am sure that is the worst that can happen.
Hammond SK1
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernie9,

Forgive me for being so obtuse, but I do not understand your response. When you say a keyboard would read its maximum and ignore the rest, what are you defining as "its maximum"? Are you talking about an SD card? Ignoring the rest of what?

Could you clarify please?
Bernie9

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, you were not obtuse as much as I was ambiguous.

I meant that some keyboards like the Technics KN7000, would accept a 4 GB card, but you could only utilize 1 GB. The memory meter would hit the max, and the rest was wasted no matter what size SD card was used.
Hammond SK1
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much. I thought I was having an extra senior moment when I couldn't understand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: