Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E2 or ES2 for live audio in using electribes Filters ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
srj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: E2 or ES2 for live audio in using electribes Filters ? Reply with quote

Hi ..... yes noob here ...

Am considering buying either E2 or ES2. I have Roland TB-3 ( it has stereo outputs ) and intend to get some volcas to connect to the electribe . I would like to use the effects filters etc on the electibe to tweek the incoming live audio from TB-3 and volcas .

So here is questions :

Can this be done ?

Is either the E2 or ES2 better ?

And any ideas/ tips/ intructions on how to connect TB-3 and volcas to E2(S) for live audio tweeking ?

Also ....i dont know much about midi ..... but i'm a fast learner Very Happy

Thanks

Sean
immon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E2 and E2S both have audio in and can filter stuff pretty well. You can set up tons of filters and effects on the audio input actually.

But the TB3 has some effects built in right?

Volcas have no audio in....
srj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: thanks for reply Reply with quote

Yes you can tweek filters etc on TB-3 ,, but wanted to alter sound further by using filters on the Electribes ... which you have comfirmed i can ... which is great .

Still have to make a decision which is the better Electribe .... ?

I do like the idea of the sampler .. it has greater options i think .

Sean
jreign

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the sampler and have not tried the E2. From what I know, the E2 has more Filter types with 16, while the Sampler has 3.

Here's a post with the E2 vs ES2 discussion:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=98689&view=previous&sid=46a2add4aa4b79c37851aeee27c81661
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to bear in mind that the E2 (grey) only processes audio in as a mono signal, whereas you can feed the ES2 (black) a stereo signal.

Processing the audio in through the filters/fx is a real strength of the units You can set more than one part to process the incoming signal, each part can have different fx/filters/modulations. You can switch between them in real time (using mutes) or use sequencer tricks to automate it. Its a hoot...

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
jbvdb493

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you will have plenty of synths, get he sampler
ErnstDabest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

_

Seems to me, this is more like what you looking for..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks for the info and links ..... have much to consider .. look forward to buying some new gear and having fun .
srj

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: decision made :-) Reply with quote

After reading alot and following all the links .. i've come to this decision

In the next couple of weeks i'm going to buy the electribe 2 .. i prefer to have the filters on that then the ES2 .. also as a relative noob ( i do play bass ) i think it might be too difficult to go straight to the sampler and that might take away from the FUN of making music .

I'm also going to buy a volca keys as i think it would be an addition to the E2 and they seem very interesting... i may purchase kaoss pad mini to use on this to ,,but will try it through the E2 first to see if the kpmini is nessesary .

thanks for all your comments and links
tsutek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding this, a quick question:

if I set up the osc type as "audio in" in es2, do I need to sequence gates for the audio input to open? or does it play through just as it does when "audio in playthrough" is enabled in global config?

That cycling through diff tracks to swap filtering/fx on the fly sounds dope! Never thought about that kind of use case before
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsutek wrote:
regarding this, a quick question:

if I set up the osc type as "audio in" in es2, do I need to sequence gates for the audio input to open? or does it play through just as it does when "audio in playthrough" is enabled in global config?

That cycling through diff tracks to swap filtering/fx on the fly sounds dope! Never thought about that kind of use case before

When a part is set to audio in, you need to sequence gates to hear the incoming audio.

Here is a little track i made with a Volca Beats playing into the Grey Electribe. The audio from the Volca is switching between different parts on the Electribe, each part having different fx/filters etc. The switching is all sequenced, i'm changing patterens and tweaking the stutter knob on the Volca.

https://soundcloud.com/apapdop/sounds-from-tuesday-night-4

Hint.... When a part is set to Audio In, the OSC EDIT knob acts as a gain control for the incoming audio. If it is at zero, you won't hear anything. Settings past midway start adding a very fine overdriven growl...mmm-mmm yeah baby...

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run my guitar through the audio in on my electribe, it's great fun to use as an FX processor. I can allocate the guitar to all 16 channels, pan them across the spectrum, apply different filters and IFX to each channel and then apply the MFX on top of that. You can get some very cool and unique sounds out of it Cool
loopman

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeplemouth wrote:
I run my guitar through the audio in on my electribe, it's great fun to use as an FX processor. I can allocate the guitar to all 16 channels, pan them across the spectrum, apply different filters and IFX to each channel and then apply the MFX on top of that. You can get some very cool and unique sounds out of it Cool

Do you achieve this only with the Sampler version of the Electribe? Could it be done with the grey synth version too?
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loopman wrote:
Steeplemouth wrote:

Do you achieve this only with the Sampler version of the Electribe? Could it be done with the grey synth version too?

I do it with the sampler yes. I don't have the grey synth version so can't say for sure but as long as it has the audio in socket at the back then it should work.

Edit: I should also say that I run the guitar through a pre-amp and a mixer and sometimes an external FX pedal too, to boost the level, I don't plug it directly into the electribe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: