Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OASYS - Live with a drummer ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
96th_Malice

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: OASYS - Live with a drummer ?? Reply with quote

OK I will make this as simple as possible

I'm setting up the OASYS to use live and my drummer has questions that I can't answer

FIRST OFF ..... We don't want to sequence anything

BUT

There is a few songs where I'd like some of the Karma features running through some of our cover songs BUT expecting a drummer to follow the keys for timing seems a bit absurd ( to him and myself )

I guess here are the questions

Can a line out be run OUT of the OASYS to a monitor for the drummer that would have a click track ?

Like in combination mode for example ..... Could I add a " click " or snare or " something " that would only run to him and NOT be heard through the front mix.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I honestly don't know how to approach this ..... Other than letting him start the song .... And I tap in the tempo and hope he stays 100% perfect on time

If there is a simple method that I'm missing ..... I'm open to suggestions ....

Thanks
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: OASYS - Live with a drummer ?? Reply with quote

The easiest way to do that would be to use the SEQ mode. Then you can route metronome to go to individual output. So, SEQ mode, go to Preference tab, and under "Metronome Setup", use "Bus Output" - change from L/R to individual output of your choice. You could use Karma for various things in this respect, although I don't know if there's a way to assign some buttons or controls so that you can skip to specific song parts without manually skipping to specific song location.

Personally, I think that it's much more comfortable to use backing tracks. It's much more comfortable for anyone. And if your band members are giving you the "it's boring, robotic, it's all the same, we have to do a song in a fixed order then", then think about using Ableton or some other non-linear sequencing tool. By using Ableton, you could use a simple controller like nanoPad to skip to specific song parts of your choice. In which case it becomes less "robotic", although I do feel that it's a semi-lame excuse not to do backing tracks if by using them you get the song to sound great.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to understand what you're trying to do. It sounds like you are not familiar with the Oasys. Think of it as a piano style synth with many voices.

The Oasys does not produce what most people think of as a click track. As vEddy pointed out, there is a metronome that can be used in the Sequencer but it is meant to be used primarily during recording and /or practice.

The Oasys has 8 independent outputs on the rear, any of which can run separately to any monitor as long as it is a line level signal, to a monitor with an amp.

Karma is certainly a wonderful and very cool thing. It generates it's own musical phrases. Karma in the Oasys is preprogramed (but could be reprogramed by a very knowledgeable owner) but a novice who doesn't own the Oasys should leave it that way.
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to understand what you're trying to do. It sounds like you are not familiar with the Oasys. Think of it as a piano style synth with many voices.

The Oasys does not produce what most people think of as a click track. As vEddy pointed out, there is a metronome that can be used in the Sequencer but it is meant to be used primarily during recording and /or practice.

The Oasys has 8 independent outputs on the rear, any of which can run separately to any monitor as long as it is a line level signal, to a monitor with an amp.

Karma is certainly a wonderful and very cool thing. It generates it's own musical phrases. Karma in the Oasys is preprogramed (but could be reprogramed by a very knowledgeable owner) but a novice who doesn't own the Oasys should leave it that way.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VEddy's suggestion is good - Copy a combi into the sequencer, and you can use the sequencer's metronome to send a click out a separate output to just the drummer.

Now, in a combi itself, if you had a free KARMA Module, you could select a drum pattern that was very simple and repetitive, and send that out a separate output to the drummer. It wouldn't exactly be a click, but it would be something that he could sync with.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: