Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Triton piano tryout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synastikki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Korg Triton piano tryout Reply with quote

There's been a lot of talk about the piano sounds of korg triton so I decided to to do a small comparison. I took a small midi-sequence from jordanrudess.com and put it through my triton classic. Sound is recorded with m-audio fast track pro straight into reaper and no effects or editing done afterwards. There are 6 piano sounds, which some have external samples and some have internal samples.

here you can find the soundclips
http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=129568 (I'm sorry that the page is in Finnish, but just push the play button Wink)

I would like to know which of you think of these is the best and worst and just for fun you can try to guess which one is internal and which external and also from what source the external samples might be from Wink
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download my EXB-PCM08 EMULATED .pcg file in the downloads section and add that to your soundset. I use those exclusively. There are two in there that I think are very good.

Nice demos. Great that you made them all the same riff for comparison.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Synastikki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can give you a little hint... the emulated is in there Razz
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion each must suit at least one purpose, as a stand-alone piano sound for the bit you've posted I like the first, but #3 is not bad, either. To my taste, for this phrase I least prefer #6.

How can I find out more about which is what? Idea
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked #4 the best - it seemed to have the most presence, and sounded the most convincing, especially in the highest and lowest ranges... and i think #1 and 3 were internal samples
dewdman42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can we find out the identity of each of the samples on that comparison page? I like #1 and #4 the best.
Synastikki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I forgot to tell the right "answers" here... I will post them later today when I get home from work Smile
Synastikki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as I promised:

piano #1 is internal samples tweaked in a great way by mchale! It is the exb. emulation on the download section.

piano #2 is a sampled version of the kurzweil triple strike downloaded from the Space4Keys (the smaller one) and it is the classical version of that sound

piano #3 is the internal Triton factory piano

piano #4 is the great awesome Steinway emulation sample-set, which I love and think that it's awesomest piano sound that I have this far on my triton

piano #5 is a combination between piano #2 and piano #5

piano #6 is the same sample-set as the #2, but this is the rock version
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Synastikki!

McHale, congrats to the tweaking - to me your work sounded the closest to a classical acoustic piano.

What were the most significant tweaks you've done? I'd like to do something similar on the Trinity internal sample, since I noticed that EQ is set to madness and the FF sample is not used anywhere in the factory patches. Just a bit of EQ-ing made it already much better, but I'm not a hell of a sound designer - so some advice would be really nice.

Did you A/B it to some point of reference while in the process of tweaking? Any hints, insights, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
dewdman42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I think McHales is definitely a bit smoother and #4 I would use to cut through a mix live I think. Both are great
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a LONG time since I did that. I also don't know which Piano from the emulated EXB-08 he used in the demo.

I can tell you which ones are my favorites though:

000 C. Grand Piano

001 Euro Grand [VS]

I use C. Grand Piano for EVERYTHING piano-related live. I went with the M50 for piano for a little while but after I heard a recording from the mixer, the piano sound from the Triton cut through more and sounded better IMHO. I also personally believe that it sounds better than the EXB-01 and EXB-08 which I owned both of. The M50 piano just sounded muddy by comparison in the mix.

Since releasing that, I've tweaked it quite a bit for my personal use and I also tweak and save it for every song we do. So if I do 15 songs with piano in them, I have 15patches that all use the same patch as a base but many will be tweaked (EQ, attack, effects, etc).

Most (if not all) of the patches in the EXB-08 Emulated are exactly as Korg released it with me just substituting stock samples for the samples that came on the memory chip. I did learn a few things about programming by going through their patches. A cool trick that was better explained to my by Jerry is one that I use a LOT now. When I get home, I'll take a picture of the screen so I can explain it better. I'm nowhere near gear or a camera at the moment. It's quite simple to do.

I do recommend every Triton owner to try the Emulated EXB-08 and try them out (definitely try the two I referenced above). They are very convincing and if played properly, would fool more people than you think. I grabbed a midi file of Clair de Lune and recorded it with "C. Grand Piano" and most couldn't tell it wasn't a person who recorded it and it wasn't a real piano. That's good enough for me since those are the people we play to every weekend.

I will not use or depend on loading samples (or sequences) for a live show. Too much potential for disaster if the keyboard reboots or gets unplugged or powered off. I stated in another thread that a friend of mine had his media stolen TWICE during two different shows. His whole show depended on them and it was difficult to finish the shows.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Synastikki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah sorry Mc, I didn't mention it, but it is the 000 C. Grand Piano Smile And I think it is great Razz I'm not sure if it is just in my head, but I think that the steinway sample set is the best one, but this one is my absolute favourite if no external samples are used, so it is my back-up/jamming piano for occasions when I don't have the time to load samples or something goes wrong and I'll have to go with the stock rom Smile Absolutely awesome!
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think the best piano sample out there is William Coakley's Perfect Piano. I don't think there's anything remotely close to it in terms of quality.

I spent a few months on my own sample set where I took Akai's free 128 MB Stereo Steinway sample set and sat with a 9' Steinway, my Triton, and a spectrum analyzer. I used a new stereo sample for every 3rd key. When I have to record and a good classical piano is important, it's the one I still default to.

But honestly, Korg's programmers did all the work on the piano programming for EXB-08. I basically modified it to use the piano samples stored in ROM and very few minor tweaks.

This was a great comparison though. Thanks for it.

-Mc
dewdman42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wiliiam Coakley sample set for Triton is bloody expensive though.

Anyway, I agree, I think you're emulated PCM08 is pretty much the way to go for playing live because no samples to load and it sounds perfectly great enough to sit in a mix. I have more complaints about the feel of the keyboard for playing piano parts, then the actual sounds themselves..
raurelio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings !

It's 'funny' how some of these patches from the emulated PCM08 (pcm08-emulated.zip - EXB08.pcg) sound so bad (or at least so strange) on TR, I believe it's because they have been build with a chain of effects, no ? (and TR/LE only support one FX)
For example "C. Grand Piano" is just terrible, can't explain.

Even more strange, the patches from "exb-pcm-08.zip", when loaded, don't play the piano part, only a silent is heard. The patches with only piano, total silent. I can't figure out why ... for example, patch "Piano&AnaStrings" I hear the strings, not the piano. Any clues why this happens ??

Anyway, great work you guys do here !!!

Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: