Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg MS20 mini vs Roland System-1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FranciscoArellano

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Korg MS20 mini vs Roland System-1 Reply with quote

Hi there,
I want to trade my system-1 for a ms20 mini. Just wondering if anyone has these two synths and their appreciation.

I tried a MS20 mini at the local store and I really liked it sound. I also like the system-1 but something about the sound of the ms20 just caught my attention and as a SYNTH ADDICT, I can't stop thinking about the ms20 Very Happy

I usually create ambient music and also some kind of electrodark music. As I saw in the ms20 there is no midi out, which means I wont be able to midi control my other gear (a price i'm willing to pay)...

There is just something about korg sound I guess... I freaking love korg.

Well, any opinion is welcomed.

Cheers!
MutantLabs

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the System-1 for a few months and received my MS 20 Mini yesterday. Played with iMS-20 on my iPad for quite a while.

I personally would never trade one for the other, because I am finding both to be very different. The System-1 is a Roland, so it sounds well behaved, more exact/polished, still can be aggressive. It's not as "sweet" sounding as a Juno, for example, though. But with the Promars-plugout, you get easily into that territory.

The MS-20 on the other hand is a rude and dirty boy by nature. If I wanted a trance'y super saw, I'd grab the System-1. But if I want weird drones, squealy filter-sweeps or distorted electronic mayhem, I'd certainly got for the MS-20 and be there in seconds.
When I am noodling on the Sys1, it motivates me into nice melodies, chord progressions that immediately form into something along the lines of a "traditional" electronic song.
When I am noodling on the MS-20, it motivates me into weird electronic noises constant knob-turning to generate textures and sequences that I don't hear on the radio very often Smile.

I love my MS-20 (Mini), but I noticed some things right from the beginning that might be worth mentioning:
- Only 5-pin MIDI input. MIDI In/Out via USB (not checked myself), though. Only notes, no controllers (not in and not out).
- It's noisy. Very noisy in my opinion. And the noise-source is before the VCA, so the noise goes up and down with your VCA-envelope, too. Very annoying. It disappears with higher VCO levels and the LPF open, but it's very audible otherwise.
- The VCO-2 pitch control is a single control over 2 octaves. For dialing in a slight detune between VCO-1 and 2 you have like 1mm of way on the dial. And for both VCOs to be in tune, it's not "0" on the dial but slightly to the left.
- CV is hz/V on the Korg and V/Oct. in Eurorack-Land. This hinders the extensions of the MS-20 with Eurorack-modules a bit. Can be solved by buying conversion modules for extra $, though.

To wrap up:
Two completely different synths that can do completely different things very well. So it depends highly on what kind of tones you want to get out of them.
I will certainly keep both.
FranciscoArellano

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MutantLabs wrote:
I have the System-1 for a few months and received my MS 20 Mini yesterday. Played with iMS-20 on my iPad for quite a while.

I personally would never trade one for the other, because I am finding both to be very different. The System-1 is a Roland, so it sounds well behaved, more exact/polished, still can be aggressive. It's not as "sweet" sounding as a Juno, for example, though. But with the Promars-plugout, you get easily into that territory.

The MS-20 on the other hand is a rude and dirty boy by nature. If I wanted a trance'y super saw, I'd grab the System-1. But if I want weird drones, squealy filter-sweeps or distorted electronic mayhem, I'd certainly got for the MS-20 and be there in seconds.
When I am noodling on the Sys1, it motivates me into nice melodies, chord progressions that immediately form into something along the lines of a "traditional" electronic song.
When I am noodling on the MS-20, it motivates me into weird electronic noises constant knob-turning to generate textures and sequences that I don't hear on the radio very often Smile.

I love my MS-20 (Mini), but I noticed some things right from the beginning that might be worth mentioning:
- Only 5-pin MIDI input. MIDI In/Out via USB (not checked myself), though. Only notes, no controllers (not in and not out).
- It's noisy. Very noisy in my opinion. And the noise-source is before the VCA, so the noise goes up and down with your VCA-envelope, too. Very annoying. It disappears with higher VCO levels and the LPF open, but it's very audible otherwise.
- The VCO-2 pitch control is a single control over 2 octaves. For dialing in a slight detune between VCO-1 and 2 you have like 1mm of way on the dial. And for both VCOs to be in tune, it's not "0" on the dial but slightly to the left.
- CV is hz/V on the Korg and V/Oct. in Eurorack-Land. This hinders the extensions of the MS-20 with Eurorack-modules a bit. Can be solved by buying conversion modules for extra $, though.

To wrap up:
Two completely different synths that can do completely different things very well. So it depends highly on what kind of tones you want to get out of them.
I will certainly keep both.

I got my ms20 mini yesterday. I'm so happy with it... I just love the sound it has, it is AMAZING. It inspires me easily, and much more than the system-1 (I don't know why, but I haven't been able to synthesize many sounds I like with system-1). The noisy thing I haven't noticed it, but maybe its because I'm kindof new to all this synth thing. About the midi implementation, I was already aware of no midi out Sad but is a price i was willing to pay.

Anyways, I still have no idea about modular synthesis though I read the manuals and have read many things. I do have some theory about it, but as my main language is spanish is difficult to "understand" properly certain things.

I have seen many people using effects with the ms20. Yesterday I used a delay effect with it and sounds even more awesome. So I'm wondering if I get a simple minikp to add to my setup specifically for the ms20.

Any suggestion?

And thanks for taking your time to answer. I think I'll keep both synths Very Happy
LivePsy

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'll keep both synths" - that is the correct answer Smile

The MS-20 is limited to output through the filter/amp using the same envelope but has the ability to patch in additional oscillators, LFOs and envelopes. So it could be considered the start of a modular system in some ways. It sure is great. Its like an electronics workshop.

B
Redmond Barry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MS-20 is a phenomenal synth! I would go so far as to say it has an infinite number of sound potential. I know there are some sounds I've created that I never found again, no matter how hard I tried. Even slight variations in setting can relate to each other in a unique way! In my opinion everyone should have an MS-20!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: