Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe 2 Petition help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpeg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redmond Barry wrote:
I'm one of those where I own the E2S and am waiting on buying the E2 to see what happens. I think there's plenty of people not completing the set because of the issues as well. I hope Korg realizes they stand to gain greatly by fixing these machines.

I dont think Korg stands to benefit much as they have already sold what units they expected to sell in the first round after release.
Loudest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cade wrote:
74. (pre listening) honestly, I thought this is unnecessary, or I don't fully understand. When I select a sample, it just loads onto the pad, I hit the pad to hear what the sample is before moving on with the track. Is it that we want the sample to be held in RAM prior to loading onto the pad? Is it that "pre-listeninig" is like "autoplay samples" ? Then there is just an (unnecessary, imo) extra button push to "load" after listening.

It's not me who suggested this request
but I find it very interesting...
Actually, it would be better to let our samples in .WAV on the SD card and load them one by one into an empty bank
we could have faster loading times (with small banks)
and we could use the "24.72Mb limit" only for the 16 samples we currently use

so it would be nice to pre-listen directly from the SD card ....

Idea
bloomes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was me who asked for this feature & yes loudest i meant pre listening when loading from sd card, i thought it's obviously. pre listening samples is absolutely basic for a sampler, which sampler doesn't have it?

if we would use the sd card filled with a few gb of samples, it is like walking in the dark. we always need to import a sample very complicated to finally hear later that this sample wasn't the one we were searching for - and the searching continues.....

this is so complicated and time consuming to find the desired sample on the sd card (due to the lack of pre listening), that i guess almost no one uses the great import function (which is necessary to have a bigger sample library than just 24mb!).
Loudest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloomes wrote:
it was me who asked for this feature & yes loudest i meant pre listening when loading from sd card, i thought it's obviously. pre listening samples is absolutely basic for a sampler, which sampler doesn't have it?

if we would use the sd card filled with a few gb of samples, it is like walking in the dark. we always need to import a sample very complicated to finally hear later that this sample wasn't the one we were searching for - and the searching continues.....

this is so complicated and time consuming to find the desired sample on the sd card (due to the lack of pre listening), that i guess almost no one uses the great import function (which is necessary to have a bigger sample library than just 24mb!).

so I'm totally agree with that Wink

I think the function to import the sample one by one could also be simplified
(more broadly, move through menus is quite tricky and not very ergonomic on the e2)
Cade

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloomes wrote:

I see. Makes sense. Smile
Korg Electribe 2 Sampler, Keith McMillen Instruments K-Mix, Korg Volca Bass, Cyclone Analogic TT-303, Novation Ultranova, Roland System-1, Roland JP-08 Boutique, Roland SH-201, Focusrite Saffire PRO 14, Korg Gadget v3 on iPad Air, Reason 10 on ZenBook Pro
Loudest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloomes wrote:

Hi @bloomes
I tried your method to import sample one by one (by starting the Electribe with a "blank .all file") and actually it is pretty cool...
it's a new world for me!
Thanks for that!

advantages:
1) the electribe starts instantly (blank .all file)

2) we import only the 16 samples that we actually need per pattern (thus, again = gain in loading time)

3) you can fill a 32GB SD card samples (.wav) if you want Very Happy
ready to be loaded into a pattern

disadvantages:
1) Currently, there is no pre-listen directly from the SD card, and actually it should be the # 1 request (!!!) for all users of the Electribe Sampler because the biggest complaint that was made when the product was released was the 24.72Mb limit
but with this method that could be the limit PER PROJECT/SONG (and only with the samples actually used)
it would allow a considerable gain with very little change to the current firmware ...

2) the access to the menu to import the samples should be more direct
Example:
-long press on a pad + Menu/Enter = direct access to the SD card tree
-choose the sample with the main encoder
-press play/stop for pre-listen
-press again Menu/Enter to load the selected sample on the selected pad

3) this method almost forces us to use one SD card per project/song (since they do not necessarily use the same samples)
but this is practically the case already with the current system to circumvent the 24.72Mb limit ...

to avoid this, it would be great that the patterns be grouped into "projects/songs" on the same SD card (with a .all file per project)
then we could load projects one by one

in any case, it is true that it would be much more logical (and powerful) this way ...
Exclamation
h.vel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I also think that the missing pre listen function is a really big issue (for the sampler) in terms of really using the SD card. But as Loudest said, there need to be a short cut for the direct access to the SD card and it's samples, too!

Quote:
Yep. Some just sound like whinging a bit, I also deleted a few of them today when I did some cleaning up on my master list, or combined them with others, and some I thought may be difficult to implement. Thanks for keeping track. I'll put them back.

It is possible that some requests sound a bit "whinging" and a few I don't need, too. But to stay fair we should accept at least the issues with 3 votes. And in general, I like the petition as it already is. 20 requests are in my opinion not too much. In the end Korg will decide if and what they will fix.

Quote:
+Add pattern-chaining, for longer patterns than just 4 bars (revise event recorder?)

Hm, I'll repeat myself again.. Pattern chaining is the evolution of one of the biggest requests ever: "8 bar patterns". There has been so many people which complained about this. Due to a user here who told that 8 bar pattern are not possible (because the 4 bars seems to be hard-coded), the request has changed to "pattern chaining" which still has the 1./2. place in the votation, so I don't see any reason to delete it, nor to see it as a song mode or something else. Maybe we should call it:

8 bar patterns (or at least pattern chaining)?

In this case also Korg will understand what was meant.

Quote:
-Fix Noise (high pitched noise [~13kHz]) when audio in is enabled and power save mode is enabled on the unit

This problem isn't explained correctly. Actually this are 2 issues. Issue 1): a high pitched noise appears when audio in is enabled. Issue 2) a mains hum appears when audio in is enabled AND power save mode is enabled. So maybe the issue should be called:

-Fix Noise (high pitched noise [~13kHz]) when audio in is enabled. And the hum when additional power save mode is enabled.

Quote:
-Knob (filter) improvements: There is a significant amount of "jumping" when trying to adjust the knobs in small increments. This could be improved with improved tracking of the knobs, or greater resolution of the filters

Is that really a big problem of many users? Honestly I never recognized it, but this doesn't mean that it isn't there.

Quote:
+Unit should have synced step jump so it stays in time on release

Quote:
+synced step jump so it stays in time on release

This 2 issues seem to be the same.

Quote:
+Revise display screen to display more information (knob values, FX info, etc) - minimum waveform representation on the screen - for quick editing

Quote:
+When changing a parameter the display should show if the current value isn't the original value anymore (like on the EMX/ESX)

Maybe you could merge this 2 requests, like:

The display should show more informations, like:
- knob values
- indicator if the current value isn't the original value anymore
- FX info
- waveform representation - for quick editing
- etc.

In my opinion it's a bit pity that this issues are not in the petition (but it's OK, they didn't have enough votes):

71. make transposing of whole parts easier
73. add the ability to nudge notes
77. Record Mute on/off
49. In Mute mode press/hold the Mute button to select tracks/pads

71/73 are some kind of basic functions and 77 helps a lot when building up a song - in particularly when you will record it. In my case issue 49 disturbes my workflow a lot. Almost all other modes are working different. In live situations (and I expect mute mode is THE live mode) I always need to rethink then leave this mode to change a track/pad.. then return back.. leave it to change track again.. return.. leave.. return.. Very annoing and unnecessary. But this are just some thoughts,
Cade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loudest wrote:
and actually it should be the # 1 request (!!!) for all users of the Electribe Sampler because the biggest complaint that was made when the product was released was the 24.72Mb limit

the access to the menu to import the samples should be more direct

it would be great that the patterns be grouped into "projects/songs" on the same SD card (with a .all file per project)
then we could load projects one by one

in any case, it is true that it would be much more logical (and powerful) this way ...
Exclamation

I agree. revising petition
Loudest wrote:
3) this method almost forces us to use one SD card per project/song (since they do not necessarily use the same samples)
but this is practically the case already with the current system to circumvent the 24.72Mb limit ...

Totally, this is how I get over the limited sample memory: I typically sample evolving pads or evolving sequences from other synths and it forces me to have to use 1 SD for 1 - 2 songs.

h.vel wrote:
But to stay fair we should accept at least the issues with 3 votes. And in general, I like the petition as it already is. 20 requests are in my opinion not too much. In the end Korg will decide if and what they will fix.

Quote:
+Add pattern-chaining, for longer patterns than just 4 bars (revise event recorder?)

8 bar patterns (or at least pattern chaining)?

In this case also Korg will understand what was meant.

Quote:
-Fix Noise (high pitched noise [~13kHz]) when audio in is enabled and power save mode is enabled on the unit

...the issue should be called:

-Fix Noise (high pitched noise [~13kHz]) when audio in is enabled. And the hum when additional power save mode is enabled.

Quote:
+Unit should have synced step jump so it stays in time on release

Maybe you could merge this 2 requests,

In my opinion it's a bit pity that this issues are not in the petition (but it's OK, they didn't have enough votes):

71. make transposing of whole parts easier
73. add the ability to nudge notes
77. Record Mute on/off
49. In Mute mode press/hold the Mute button to select tracks/pads
But this are just some thoughts,

Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for additions and clarifications. I totally agree, 20+ is fine. It's possible that the "more the better" to show Korg that there aren't just a "few small bugs" to work out. In addition, I added a few of the features you indicated were important,and fixed some of the wording. revising petition
Korg Electribe 2 Sampler, Keith McMillen Instruments K-Mix, Korg Volca Bass, Cyclone Analogic TT-303, Novation Ultranova, Roland System-1, Roland JP-08 Boutique, Roland SH-201, Focusrite Saffire PRO 14, Korg Gadget v3 on iPad Air, Reason 10 on ZenBook Pro

Last edited by Cade on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steinberger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when do we expect the petition to hit the President's desk?
sl23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sl23 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steinberger wrote:
So when do we expect the petition to hit the President's desk?

Great question.
Hopefully the petition will be up at Change.org by the end of this week, or on the weekend, but I still need people to correct/edit/criticize what we have so far. Likely it will take a few weeks to get signatures once it's up, and after that we can get it to Korg.
Unfortunately, I am still trying to determine the Chief engineer in charge of this instrument at Korg. Think
I'm not under the impression that it's Tats: http://littlebits.cc/meet-tatsuya and https://www.linkedin.com/in/tatsuya-takahashi-58969620.

-Latest Here-

Help make an update for the New Electribes a priority for Korg Inc.

The Electribe 2 and Electribe 2 Sampler are digital Music Production Stations that were released in 2014. They were created using Korg’s latest modelling technology, have an effect for every part, polyphony and velocity–sensitive drum pads. The Korg Electribe series is a Digital analog modeling synthesizer was first produced in 1999. Through the years, the Electribe series helped define an entire generation of dance music. With the 2014 Electribe 2, fans of the Electribe series were hopeful that the new instrument would live up to the legacy that the predecessor established.

Unfortunately, upon release, some important features were missing and many Electribe 2 owners are disappointed in this lack of functionality and hindered capabilities on the device that have led to a problematic workflow. While a few earlier issues had been addressed in previous updates, there still remains a substantial list of problems and improvements to address. Korg has indicated that they are resolved to continue to create innovative and uncompromising instruments which maintain the high quality that inspires professional artists and creators. We are hoping that viewpoint encompasses this instrument as well. The user community is recommending continued development to help improve and perfect the instrument, so it can continue legacy that the predecessor established.

These are the current issues and problems:

1. Voice Stealing: Unfortunately, even when no fx and no polyphony is activated on the unit, just 10-11 tracks can play simultaneously without voice stealing. It doesn’t seem reasonable that muted parts or IFX use CPU power and steal voices even when not playing. Typically you need maybe 4-8 activated IFX in a pattern, but the Electribe seems to unnecessarily calculate all 16 IFX.
2. Note cutoff on pattern change: When switching patterns, the notes from the previous pattern are cut-off. This causes issues with the live-playing capability that the units were designed for.
3. Knob (filter) improvements: There is a significant amount of "jumping" when trying to adjust the knobs in small increments. This could be improved with improved tracking of the knobs, or greater resolution of the filters, or simply enabling the shift+knob (fine tune) option for filter movements.
4. Re-triggering glitch: There is a significant digital click or pop sound at the initiation/beginning of the sound (synths and samples) when re-triggering notes.
5. Song mode is lacking: One of the greatest features of the predecessor (older electribes) was the ability to create entire songs by setting the unit to automatically play patterns in a specific order to build a complete song.
5. Fix Noise (high pitched noise [~13kHz]) when audio in is enabled, and the hum when additional power save mode is enabled on the unit.

These are the current recommended improvements:

6. Pre-listening of samples directly from the SD card.
7. Enable access to the “sample import” menu more direct. A simple way to achieve this would be: long press on a pad + Menu/Enter = direct access to the SD card tree
8. The units should have the ability to chain patterns together.
9. Revise display screen to display more information: knob values; FX info; waveform representation on the screen - for quick editing; and the display should show if the current value isn't the original value anymore (like on the EMX/ESX)
10. Revise the manual to include details about MIDI implementation and the unit’s voice architecture and any improvements.
11. Revise the arpeggiator to include Up/down, random, and scales.
12. Improve the step sequencer as the current workflow is clunky and easily remedied: At minimum, make the step sequence menu circular so you can left arrow from the on / off screen to the velocity screen; or use the track pad to enter gate and velocity in the sequencer mode (front panel) without menu diving. A last alternative would be to implement a step record function as was present in previous Electribes.
13. Pads should blink in Mute mode.
14. Send CC automation values to MIDI out.
15. Decay and release could be separated. A simple way to implement this would be to use the shift key to edit the release amount.
16. Unit should have synced step jump so it stays in time on release.
17. Add the ability to loop individual bars.
18. Add the option for per part play speed - allow a single part to be played at half speed / quarter speed or other option.
19. For the E2 have the step edit for Oscillator edit just like in the E2S.
20. All Step Jump actions and changes recorded and reflected in the sequencer in NORMAL record mode.
21. Set velocity numerically for each part; 1-127.
22. In Mute mode press/hold the Mute button to select tracks/pads and record mute on/off.
23. Visual display of scales and chords played on part.
24. Add the ability to be able to enter notes or chords in sequencer mode and add the ability to nudge notes.
25. Add the option for MIDI local on/off and/or midi thru and MIDI channel choice per part (should allow part layering).
26. Direct access to editing various modifications/parameters of each step.
27. Add the ability to copy/paste bars/notes around the whole machine.
28. BPM LFO's should be parameterized by musical values.
29. Add the ability for per part MFX send level.
30. Add the ability to be able to assign the X-Y pad to do different modification parameters and save that with each Pattern.
31. Add a time stretch function.
32. Key transpose in sequencer mode and make transposing of whole parts easier.
33. Follow the playback position on the pads.
34. Add some of the additional filter options that are on the Electribe 2 to the Electribe 2 sampler.
35. Add the ability to save and load different pattern sets (.all files), and associated sample sets, to and from the SD card.

Sign this petition to help make the Electribe 2 and Electribe 2 sampler updates a priority for Korg, Inc. We are requesting that they address the problems with additional updates so we can make the most of this incredible machine.

Last edited by Cade on Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Loudest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cade wrote:
I still need people to correct/edit/criticize what we have so far.

I'd love to help on that, unfortunately English is not my first language as you can notice .. Smile

but I understand all requests you've formulated
That's something... Laughing

Cade wrote:
7. Enable access to the “sample import” menu more direct.

Not really the current "sample import" menu, as it is now,
actually, it is more like a direct access to the "pre-listen menu" (if we take the request#6 into account Razz )

-long press on a pad + Menu/Enter = direct access to the SD card tree (in other words: [Sample] folder)
-choose the sample with the main encoder
-press play/stop for pre-listen/stop
-press again Menu/Enter to load the selected sample on the selected pad
(and probably "Exit" button to cancel the operation and go back to the main screen...)

also,
perhaps you could clarify on each request if it is specific to Electribe 2 or Electribe Sampler...?

Last edited by Loudest on Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Loudest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl23 wrote:
So on the SD card, a [Sample] or [Audio] folder would contain any and all samples. And a [Project#] folder for each project or pattern. Each pattern would simply contain a reference to each sample used within a project/pattern.

Yes, it could works like that

Wink
Can

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
9. Revise display screen to display more information: knob values; FX info; waveform representation on the screen - for quick editing; and the display should show if the current value isn't the original value anymore (like on the EMX/ESX)

I would like to see Attack, Decay Release and Sustain as Envelope.[See pic] I think the Display could be used so much better, I hope for the best.
Edit: What i wanted to say with this post is A) i think this feature would be beautifull and B) IMO we should be as concrete as possible with our ideas and improvements because it might as well be the last update we get.
Can

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me again, someone in the facebook group mentioned that changing the Modulationtype while havin the depth at 0 will still change the sound of the Osc as if it would have a positive number. Its minor but still.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: