Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi out not working, Frustrated...!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Midi out not working, Frustrated...! Reply with quote

Hi, wonder if anyone can help.

I've just purchased a Roland VK8m and the midi out on my Triton Studio won't connect to it. I've set it to external in midi, turned local off even though that shouldn't matter, tried 3 different leads,
I know the Vk8m works, leads etc as well because it connects to my Trinity, an old controller keyboard and my RD700 GX absolutely fine.
Getting quite desperate now after 4 days of fiddling and have specific gigs I really want to use it on coming up so hope someone can help me here Smile
There is one thing I found on the internet about older Tritons having a low voltage out on the midi and I suspect this may be the problem. 3 volts or something instead of 5. If anyone knows and if that's the case is there anyway of boosting the signal inline, Thank you for reading and hopefully someone can help me out, Scott
EdK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little confused by your posting but maybe this will help.

Check all the global MIDI channel numbers on each keyboard. Each must be unique. For example, Studio is channel 0, Roland is channel 1, etc.

Then .... if you're sending MIDI OUT from the Studio to control the Roland,
Any/all Combi's, Prog's, etc on the Studio must send Channel 1 to the Roland, AND the Roland must be set to recieve MIDI commands from Channel 0.

Hopefully you have manuals for each keyboard.

Ed
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I don't have a Triton myself, but if I were in your position, after following the advice above - basically ensure the Troton is set to TX MIDI, I would hook the Triton MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN of a MIDI interface connected to a computer and run a utility like MIDIOX for PC or Snoize MIDI Monitor on OSX to check the MIDI traffic. That isolates you from having to setup two devices correctly for one to receive another's data and allows you to see in detail what the Triton is sending.

Or if you are lucky enough (like me Smile ) to have something like a Studiomaster MA36 MIDI analyser, then that allows you to check coms without having to get it into a computer. These still pop up on eBay occasionally, and well worth getting if you do a lot with MIDI. I keep one in my toolbox for gigs.

It is quite possible that the MIDI out has been damaged; I've heard of that on some keyboards, and in that case you will need to get the driver chip(s) replaced (whatever it may be). If I had no joy with checking MIDI via software utilities (or the MIDI analyser hardware), I'd be getting my oscilloscope out at that point to check the MIDI port at the electronics level.

If you do not have electronics experience or the right tools, then any general electronics repair shop should be able to help you out with basic diagnosis. If you play notes on the keyboard, you should see the activity on a 'scope, and if not present on the pins of the output port, then it's time to trace deeper inside the synth, but first rule out the MIDI settings themselves.

HTH.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
scottyrd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re midi out problem Reply with quote

Hi, Thanks for your replies.

I thought I'd let you know that I have solved the issue 😀
As I suspected there is an issue with early Korg Triton Studio's!
I purchased a Midi Solutions Power Supply which is basically a small in and out midi box powered by a 9volt supply. It cost me £40 in the Uk.
I contacted midi solutions themselves and even they weren't sure but it now works perfectly.
There is obviously not enough power in the early Triton Studio midi out!
Anyway, thought I'd update as this is a 100 % fix 😀
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

That's well worth knowing. Thanks for sharing, as I am sure it will benefit others in the same situation. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Studio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: