Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Organizing user banks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
street

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Organizing user banks Reply with quote

I see that there are extra 3 banks for HD-1 and 3 banks for EXi.

I would like to add libraries and organize the sounds in my free banks, utilizing all free slots that I have.

What's the best way to organize additional sounds I load on the Kronos? I understand that each sound is loaded into a predefined user bank and there's no way to prevent overwriting the bank it installs itself into?
I'd love to hear what's your take on organizing the Kronos.

Last edited by street on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Organizing user banks Reply with quote

street wrote:
I understand that each sound is loaded into a predefined user bank and there's no way to prevent overwriting the bank it installs itself into?

that's not true, you can determine yourself in which bank you load the sound sets. The basics of loading and saving sounds are explained the following tutorial.

This tutorial explains the basics of how to create a system backup and how to load sound sets.
00:14 Creating Directories
03:02 Copying files from USB to the internal HDD
05:13 Creating a full System Backup
07:43 Loading a sound set to the default Program bank location
09:16 Loading a sound set to a program bank of your own choice
10:42 Fixing combis that are pointing to the wrong programs
13:34 Loading a system backup

street

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video. Thanks for that, I learned alot!

now let's say I have a bank I want to import that has 32 programs. I load it to User bank GG, and in that bank, I have some sounds in whatever slots - let's say #40 onwards.
Loading the new bank will delete those and there's nothing I can do?

and lastly, let's say I have about 10 libraries of 32 programs each that I want to import to the Kronos. but I have 6 free banks for my user programs (unless I want to delete factory ones).

how do I go and "consolidate" the sounds? let's say each bank (of 128) will hold 4 libraries (of 32 programs)?
steeve76

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Very clear and useful!
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

street wrote:
Great video. Thanks for that, I learned alot!

now let's say I have a bank I want to import that has 32 programs. I load it to User bank GG, and in that bank, I have some sounds in whatever slots - let's say #40 onwards.
Loading the new bank will delete those and there's nothing I can do?

and lastly, let's say I have about 10 libraries of 32 programs each that I want to import to the Kronos. but I have 6 free banks for my user programs (unless I want to delete factory ones).

how do I go and "consolidate" the sounds? let's say each bank (of 128) will hold 4 libraries (of 32 programs)?

that's explained in tutorial 22,
This is part 3 of the Loading and saving sounds tutorial series. (tutorial 20 is part 1, tutorial 21 is part 2).

There are a lot of free sound sets available for the Korg Kronos. But there are so many sounds that you probably will ran out of program space to store them all. Now how cool would it be to create your own 127 program sound set which will only contain only your favorite sounds from the free sound sets that are available.

The Kronos has a great feature for this called multiple select. It's a very fast way to create a new program bank. This tutorial explains how to do this.

So what will be covered?
- how to look inside Sound set files with the open function
- how to use the multiple select checkbox
- how to copy selected programs to a new soundset

street

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for another great video! This basically sums it up.

but what I can't do, is select multiple programs from say, USER GG bank, and copy (or move) them to USER AA bank?

btw, is there a good software librarian to manage the Kronos internal and user banks - ie copy, move, delete programs etc? something in the vein of the excellent Melas Total Librarian for the Yamaha Motif?
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PCG tools software should let you do that.

As for organizing :
You cannot mix between Hd1 and Exi banks.
A bank can either contain All exi programs or All Hd programs.

Since you are new, enjoy your honeymoon, i.e try out all sounds engines, there's a lot of great stuff floating around all over. etc Smile

You'd have to come up with your own way of organizing.

I like to completely reset to factory (empty user gg and user cc-user gg)
and then load what all I need and Save the PCG for whatever type of music I am writing.

You can also wipe out all the internal banks (except I-G which is GM)
and then use them to store all your custom sounds patches.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most things have already been said above (thanks amit for mentioning PCG Tools).

The problem with combis is that if you load a combi, the programs used by the combi might not be loaded and should be loaded in the places that are references in the combi. PCG Tools can change this references automatically for you.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go the quick and easy route. Make a new PCG save every time i fill up my banks. And thats after previous PCG saves as backups of what i had before.
I dont even worry about internal memory. I use USB stick with plenty memory while using internal memory for the factory and two separate PCG files that condense my most valued selections and bank+slot arrangemet.

The tutorials are great and cover the system and whats possible in disk mode, but its still up to the user how to organizeit all. External memory and multiple PCG saves under various file names is a must when you are dealing with all banks full and more sound sets still coming in.
For me, a proper back up is one back up on internal memory and another on external memory. I actually do a third backup on a second external memory.
Minimum of 3 PCG files at all times internally and two external memory storage with the same 3 PCG files and room for extra PCG files that won't be alllowed to cluter internal memory. Internal memory i use for storing final banking arrangement condensed over the 3 PCG files. Factory file stays locked ,so actually 2 PCG files to condense into internal memory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: