Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Successfully racked an MS20 Mini (pics)!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brandonpturner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:01 am    Post subject: Successfully racked an MS20 Mini (pics)! Reply with quote

Needed:
1. IKEA Rast night stand.
2. Machine screws/nuts.
3. Power drill/bits.
4. Tweezers

Process:
1. Remove plastic sides, keyboard, and back.
2. Insert MS20 Mini into Rast night stand for reference.
3. Drill holes in Rast night stand where MS20 mini tabs are that once held the sides on (two on either side). I drilled these to fit machine screws I already had.
4. Use tweezers to hold nut in place on inside of tab, while using other hand to insert machine screw. This is kind of tricky, but was easier than I expected.
5. Tighten screws evenly on both sides as there will be small gaps that should be as close to symmetric as possible. Feel free to fill said gaps with plastic or wood for an even more snug fit. It's secure as is.
6. Re-attach back.
7. Plug in and enjoy!

Note: You'll notice some curving on the edges of the top and bottom. I bent my MS20 unnecessarily as I was trying to figure out how to attach it to rails. This proved to be the better option. Also, I did test it while it was apart to make sure it would function without the keyboard attached.

Steinberger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job, sir! I considered this one time and decided to keep all my fingers for now Very Happy
Kernelkunt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn nice job there! I just bought a Mini and am considering removing the keyboard too.
I might pop back in with a few questions
Ulysses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Late to this topic (and nice work BTW) but I have recently considered this option (as opposed to buying the MS20 Module). The MS20 Mini is cheaper than the Module and has 1/8" patch cable connectivity (as opposed to the 1/4" jacks of the Module) which would make it more easily compatible to the setup I am attempting to achieve. I would put mine in a tabletop frame/box (as opposed to rackmount) but my question regards the USB jack, the MIDI jack and the POWER jack. Are these all loosely cabled to the mainboard of the Mini (to allow for relocation) or are they hard soldered somehow? Also (after detaching the keyboard and wheel controller cables) is the synth still fully functional (allowing for complete midi control as if the original keyboard was still attached)? Just wondering what your experiences were/are. Thanks in advance and cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: