Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making Lo-fi hiphop on the new electribe sampler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brettt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Making Lo-fi hiphop on the new electribe sampler Reply with quote

so, when researching which sampler is best for creating loose (dilla style) drums for hip hop beats you hear about the fact that electribes lock you into a grid. In other words, you cannot create un-quantized drum beats.

I suppose people wish this was a possibility.

the question I have is this. Can't you just resample yourself playing drums sounds live (with the electribe) into the electribe to get that loose feeling? '

Cheers, Brett
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can do this. The issue then becomes the poor amount of sampling time.
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Making Lo-fi hiphop on the new electribe sampler Reply with quote

Brettt wrote:
creating loose (dilla style) drums for hip hop beats

Have you investigated the SP404? This dude wrecks some loose hip hop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2neMRqYkw_s
PureSecksPirate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you hand play the drum samples as you record, as opposed to writing them in via the sequencer, it will record your slightly off time (human) loose feel and groove to it. The only drag is that you can't do anything in between.
immon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The groove templates will get you there. Once you have got used to which ones do what it is easy to dial it in. There is a setting for 'push' and one for 'pull' which can help you with your snares.
Brettt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. Thanks for the input guys.

I have checked out the sp but I'd like to get the electribe to hook up to my volca sample.

Also, it's nice that you can input some "push" and "pull" .

Yesterday I input some negative swing into the volca sample. (alot of swing- like -50) and I got a real hard snap from the snare.

The whole reason I'm interested in the electribe is because I'm so tired of making music in DAW's. Ableton is amazing and I'm sure to use it in the future but I'd like to be able to create a full song without the aid of a computer. I think the electribe can get me there with help from the volca sample and my korg upright piano.

B.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sauce wrote:

I've been using the ES2 a lot lately and a really great workaround is keeping a large memory card in the unit and saving your work as a "Project File" for each song you are working on. Using this method, you can dedicate the entire sampling time to a single song. It requires a little extra multi-tasking and managing of project files, but once your brain locks into the process, it really helps you focus on making better use of the limited sampling memory per song.

Just give it a few days using this method and you'll learn to open up the machine's potential a little more. And believe me, it does help force creativity. I've almost completed a full set of new demos using the sampler alone.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Brettt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey remember. Thanks for the pro-tip. Does this mean you have a separate card for each song?

B.
alexbuga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-Member wrote:
sauce wrote:

I've been using the ES2 a lot lately and a really great workaround is keeping a large memory card in the unit and saving your work as a "Project File" for each song you are working on. Using this method, you can dedicate the entire sampling time to a single song. It requires a little extra multi-tasking and managing of project files, but once your brain locks into the process, it really helps you focus on making better use of the limited sampling memory per song.

Just give it a few days using this method and you'll learn to open up the machine's potential a little more. And believe me, it does help force creativity. I've almost completed a full set of new demos using the sampler alone.

Care to detail the process a little bit?
jpeg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Making Lo-fi hiphop on the new electribe sampler Reply with quote

Brettt wrote:
so, when researching which sampler is best for creating loose (dilla style) drums for hip hop beats you hear about the fact that electribes lock you into a grid. In other words, you cannot create un-quantized drum beats.

I suppose people wish this was a possibility.

the question I have is this. Can't you just resample yourself playing drums sounds live (with the electribe) into the electribe to get that loose feeling? '

Cheers, Brett

of course u can sample live drums into the electribe u can chop breaks with air in fron of the drum hits to give the note nudge fx.

Also u can use the groove template and groove depth of the drum hits to further move the notes around to get the feel ur looking for also u have the swing so there are many methods of getting the un quantised sound that u seek.

the electribe is close but the workflow and restrictions make it very frustrating it sounds great and is quick in certain regards and long winded in others.

but everything can be fixed with updates but will these things be done its looking unlikely as even with the petition the requests are done from a electro/techno non hip hop mindset so the features that a hip hop producer might want are not really well represented within the feature requests.
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PureSecksPirate wrote:
If you hand play the drum samples as you record, as opposed to writing them in via the sequencer, it will record your slightly off time (human) loose feel and groove to it. The only drag is that you can't do anything in between.

Just for the record, you cannot record non-quantized. The machine always quantizes to 16th notes.
jpeg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicmagus wrote:
PureSecksPirate wrote:

Just for the record, you cannot record non-quantized. The machine always quantizes to 16th notes.

I thin that has been established but the korg can also do 1/32 as the max resolution.

korg should update this and provide more options including an off setting I have made this clear but this still has not found a way onto the petition feature request list.
colulizard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicmagus wrote:
PureSecksPirate wrote:

Are they not talking about resampling drum playing - in which case the sampler would "record" the audio as you play it... and so the sequencer wouldn't lock it to the 16th note
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colulizard wrote:
musicmagus wrote:
PureSecksPirate wrote:

Are they not talking about resampling drum playing - in which case the sampler would "record" the audio as you play it... and so the sequencer wouldn't lock it to the 16th note

I'm not sure, that's why I posted. I guess I wasn't clear either.
You can Re-sample yourself playing with no quantization whatsoever.
You cannot record into the sequencer unquantized.
Stuff someone who doesn't own the box the might want to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: