Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amplifier vs powered speaker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Testing This Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lenster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Amplifier vs powered speaker Reply with quote

This is not a Korg question, but many forums have not seemed to touch on this. So here goes.
I have gotten tired of using / buying / getting disappointed with keyboard amps and I am considering using a good powered speaker. I'd like to know if anyone has a set up that they like or would recommend.

My current amp is a Behringer Ultratone K1800FX. For its size it is heavier than it looks like it should be. I find I need to send out to the main board as it is barely loud enough as a personal monitor. And it lacks the low end that makes me happy.
Previously I used a Roland KC 350, although gorgeous, it was just too much to lug around. Most gigs are for 150 to 200 people sized rooms.

So now in the summer of 2016 I am comparing features, performance, weight and price of powered speakers. DJs seem to have the best comparo info, but I wonder if any KB'ers have any experience using them.
Currently I have my eye on QSC K12, Mackie Thump 15, JBL Eon 615XT.
Thanks - Lenster.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I had the same problem as you. I purchased a KX1800FX after my trusty old Carlsbro amp bit the dust and it was too old and battered (with broken pots) to worry about fixing.

The KX1800FX looked great on paper and I assumed the odd purchasing comment of it not being loud enough were either a) people hard of hearing or b) people trying to compete with guitar players in death metal bands! Wink

I gig in a Pink Floyd Tribute band where we have a rare guitar player who likes to play on 8 instead of 11 Wink and guess what?

The KX1800 was not loud enough! Shocked

My solution was to go for a Roland KC550. Not cheap, bleedin' heavy, but man enough for the job, although I note your comment about using the 350, so I guess the 550 is not for you.

I see no reason why a Mackie powered speaker (my main experience), for example, could not double as a stage wedge, and they should obviously have a good frequency range.

I did gig in my previous band for many years with a Peavy powered 12 monitor (with horn), and that was fine. So in comparison, a 15 inch powered PA speaker should be as good or better.

Ultimately, though, I am trying to persuade the band to go towards IEMs. For us it is the right choice. We are not a loud band, so is there really a need for stage backline, and we need to hear backing tracks and click cues on some songs, and the audience should not be hearing those.

HTH

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Lenster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek, Thanks for your info.

Correction, my Roland amp is an older KC500. Predates the 550, but basically the same.
Lenster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there are any keyboard players out there that are using a Bose system just for their keys.... I know it's probably crazy to even think of it due to cost, but it's light, strong and with sub it has good range.
Lenster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. . . . I think I'm gonna like this. Decided to go to Guitar Center. The salesman talked me out of the MAckie Thump 15 and suggested the Alto TS215 powered speaker. In a side by side test, the Alto sounded brighter. Priced the same, so I got it. Compared to the Behringer amp that it will replace, both prices (new) are pretty much on par, but the Also is twice the size, has 3 times the RMS power and weighs 10 lbs less. I think I'm gonna like this. Oh I already said that.
According to a Youtube DJ evaluation, it seems to be an EV ZLX 15 clone, minus the digital display and a few bells and whistles. I'll update after a while and after a few gigs.
eli125

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only down side of powered speakers is if it brakes the amp its don for that gig . with amps you can have a spear cheap amp like the Behringer NU3000 or NU6000 and if something happens to the amp you use that amp if the horn is blowing by one of the speakers you can still play bass from that speaker with the other horns. but you can hold a powered speaker in the side of a powered system so if the amp is breaking down from the powered speaker you can replace it. now why powered speakers amps are breaking fester is because its one piece and its not that strung inside so if it fellas down it can break much fester that's what my technician told me
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use non-molded in-ear plugs, which I don't put too deep in my ears to have enough ambient sound from others, while I can hear myself good.

Cheap and also important: very light.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two QSC K10 love them with the Kronos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Testing This Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: