Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Sound Samples are chosen in next-gen synths

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
six_feet_under

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: How Sound Samples are chosen in next-gen synths Reply with quote

Someday I would love to make contact with developers at Korg/Yamaha/Roland etc, and find out how they choose Sound Samples for the next generations.

In old French Perfumeries there was always one guy who chose the scents. He was referred to as "the nose". At the synth factories, is there an "ear" that makes the final decision, or is it done by committee (what a hilarious eclectic conversation that must be!)? I would like to think they put a lot of time and analysis into this part of the design, rather than some tech sitting at a bench with headphones, saying "this is good, this one sux".

Every product comes with Voice Name lists, and if you compare, you can see some of the Samples that come over from generation to generation e.g. "M1 Organ". And if you get an older and newer synth side by side you can find samples that have been renamed and sound nearly identical, e.g. "Attack Piano" became "Bright Piano". in Aug 2016, I asked Korg support if they could share a "migration map" showing which Samples were re-released either with same name or name changed. "Not available" was their reply. I assume that just means "company-sensitive"

Anyone have any insight into Sample selection at the synth factories?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the exact procedure, samples is one of the most company-sensitive items probably, because it directly affects what customers like (or not).

Afaik there are 'sound designers' at Korg and I don't think those people are secret, however it doesn't mention the process.

Jordan Rudes is one of them, some Kronos sounds are names after them, and there are some more known names.

However, I doubt they really made the samples, they probably adjusted/finetuned them. The real p eople who make samples I don't know and that process is probably held secret.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: