Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kaossilator 2 tricks or tips?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterP

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Kaossilator 2 tricks or tips? Reply with quote

Maybe this was in the manual, but I "discovered" that:

1. Pad is multitouch for percussion sets

2. If you hold a loop button and slide the slide selector thing, you can rapidly change the beat count of the loop.

3. If you hold the func button and slide on the control strip you rapidly move through the menu options.

4. As already mentioned, if you hold func and tap a loop button, the save/load dialog comes up to allow you to quickly save your loops before adding another layer. Not quite as convenient as a quick undo, but you can achieve the same result.
TheoW593

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--Also, if you make an 8-beat loop but you find you'd prefer to keep only the repeating first 1/2 beat of it (or 1/4 beat. or 1 beat. or 2 beat) of it, yet you wanna be able to go back to 8-beats in the song whilst keeping that "cut" piece repeating at 1/2..

Set your song's time to 1/2 (for example), then record a touch of silence by touching the bottom of the pad while on LD.023 Tell Min. This will not change your song but it will technically "add" the silent instrument. You can then put your Beat Time back to 8 and the song will still be the 1/2 beat repeating for 8 beats, so you can add 8-beat phrases.
TheoW593

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone find a 16-beat hack yet?
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure theres one out there if the original had it. But seriously, KORG screwed up again by not including a 16beat function....AGAIN.

But then, I'm quite sure theyll be releasing a KPRO2, so, I'm sure this is just more asinine marketing.
TheoW593

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else notice that the ko-2 shits bricks and glitches out when it has low battery
Owundubbelyew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, some less obvious features: hold the [snd] button to scroll through sound groupings (LD, AC, BS, CH, etc) with the ribbon or - & +. On the tempo page holding the - or + will continue to count down or up in a slightly different manner than scrolling. Holding the mic on/off button while tapping the volume buttons controls the input level. Holding the mic on/off button appears to block you from the [fnc] pages, but tap the [snd] button first, and now it's accessible. From the Loop - Load folder page, you can press either loop button [I] or [II] and Select to set it's loop length from there (not sure exactly what this does. i loaded an 8 bar loop into 1 bar and the loop plays the same it just looks different in the display. once you change it on the regular page it acts as normal. thought it might be a key to obtaining longer loop lengths (16+) by say craming a 4 bar loop into 2 bars then adding them back. but not sure what the purpose is yet).
As far as battery life goes, i've had pretty good results with Energizer Ultimate Lithium. But the battery settings are for Alkaline or NiMH. i guess they are okay, but i don't know for sure. and which setting should i use if they are.
Owundubbelyew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i tried Theo's trick (record silence over an altered loop length to change it's properties) along with my Loop Load page thang and still could not increase the loop length, but there might be something there still. it's weird.
djfacile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

totally agree
esss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: For a scratch/glitch effect like the original Kaossilator... Reply with quote

---
For a scratch/glitch effect like the original Kaossilator...
---

MisterP wrote:
Maybe this was in the manual, but I "discovered" that:
2. If you hold a loop button and slide the slide selector thing, you can rapidly change the beat count of the loop.

Using this technique can reproduce at least one of the features of the original Kaossilator's 16-beat hack... not the expanded beat length, but the scratch/glitch effect you get when rapidly changing loop length in that mode. You can do that sort of thing on a Kaossilator 2 as well.

After you've held down the loop button and edited the loop by recording or deleting, you can swipe the slide selector to rapidly change the loop length -- as long as you're still holding down the loop button, it will save the changes.

If you want to do the scratch/glitch without *actually* doing an edit first, you can try tricking the KO2 into thinking you edited the loop by holding down the loop button, and then the mic button for a brief moment (but not *too* brief). If you have the mic input volume set to zero (hold the mic button, then hold the volume-down button) then it will think it recorded audio even though it's just silence. This part seems to only sort-of work... Haven't yet figured out the reason why.

TheoW593 wrote:
Anyone find a 16-beat hack yet?

One of the dudes from Korg's support site said that is definitely not possible. Pretty lame. It'd be cool if they did a firmware update to allow it but I doubt that'd happen.
Lucian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe too late, after 2 years?

Holding Fcn and pressing Snd will scroll the function menu backwards.

Thanks for sharing Fcn+loop button, because accessing the functions related to sd card (save,load,record,play recording) is much easier.
Yanus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Workaround for 4-bar / 16-beat on Kaossilator 2s Reply with quote

Hey Guyz,

No hacks to be found for 4-bar, 16-beat loops so checked withsomeone at Korg support.
Best workaround (until a possible liberating update): Set the bpm speed to half what you need doubles the (virtual) bar length.

Hope this helps some of you out (if not posted before).

Happy composing!

Yanus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: