Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating PA600 Styles/Pad on Windows XP/7 Laptop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sridharar

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Creating PA600 Styles/Pad on Windows XP/7 Laptop Reply with quote

Anyone has recommendations on Freeware/Shareware and/or under $99 sequencer which can do the job?

Pa600 manual says Styles and Pads may be created on any Sequncer but need to have Markers/Headers with various parameters. I found a nice video on YouTube showing how this can be created using Pro Tools. It outlines how "Markers" are to be used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vpRz7wbAr4

I have the following on my laptop and none of them seem to be appropriate..

LMMS: No way to export MIDI!!

FL Studio: I have only a demo version. There is a You Tube clip that shows how to create MIDI files from this -- but looks way too complicated and I also do not know whether the version I have

Midi Editor: There is no explicit menu(s) for adding Markers. Guess Control Events may be used -- but not sure what the actual commands/formats are to be used for Markers. At best very cumbersome.

As an aside, I assume "Markers" expected in the MIDI file by PA600 are MIDI standard and not proprietary.

Thanks in advance.

Sri.
tombikadam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

writing markers is easy but what you have to do is playing drums and recording it to create a style, which acquires at least intermediate playing because sometimes quantizing doesn't work, I guess drum and percussion writing are essantial to create a style, or you can find midi files, cut the tracks you don't want and export them to pa600, also drum midi tracks only works fine for a starting point
sridharar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tombikadam

May be you can clarify as what you are sayng is not clear to me.

I was planning to write a C# program for what I wanted.
But that got pushed down due to other things I needed to create - which are taking shape but still work in progress. Hopefully I will get back to the C# project.

Meanwhile, I started resorting to Ableton Live Lite (which I got for free) as part of my Alexis Keytar purchase. It makes it easier to create percussion and other accompaniments - though laptop remains in the loop while I am playing.

But this gives me lot more flexibility than what I do with just PA600.
(Like escapting constraints of a style).

Most importantly I can play drum patterns on PA600 and capture it on Ableton Lite and besides other things - stretch it to fit to a proper time scale.

I can annotate the midi file with required markers and import into PA600 as well. I did do this a few times and will start doing them again.

Sri.
tacman7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched the video's of working with the styles in a DAW, I exported them and played around a little. Little more than I wanted to do.

There's a lot of reasons to use your PA with a DAW but you also need a good audio interface which can be less than $100.

If you are going to get an interface you could buy one that comes with a lite version of studio one or cubase etc.

Those are a lot better than any demo and come with an upgrade path.

Cubase is more accomplished at midi.

Export a style and try looking at it in what you have.

Seems like the free people use audacity a lot.

http://www.audacityteam.org/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: