Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Searching for this Choir sound for years....any pros know?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purpleibby

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:57 am    Post subject: Searching for this Choir sound for years....any pros know? Reply with quote

Hello all. Former member of the group here rejoining after many years. I've been on the hunt for a specific choir sound for many years and after so much investigating the synths of the time, I simply CANNOT identify what synth this choir sound came from. It's from an album that came out in January of 92...I've searched and searched....anyone seasoned folks have any idea? It seems much higher quality than was possible from synths of that time:

About 23 seconds in(love this track)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-6PxBrlJ8Q

You can also here it here throughout but it's not as pronounced but you can tell the quality of it for the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H01aQQYkqCc

A real mystery.... TY:)

Last edited by Purpleibby on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. Good feelings on being back in the band.

Korg Kronos Program bank C 040 Classic Choir comes close to the sound in question. Spectrasonics Omnisphere has some good choir sounds to choose from, too. Both offer considerable sound sculpting features to allow the patches to be tweaked to perfection, should that be required.

What was the source of the original choir sound?

Purpleibby

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Welcome to the forum. Good feelings on being back in the band.

Korg Kronos Program bank C 040 Classic Choir comes close to the sound in question. Spectrasonics Omnisphere has some good choir sounds to choose from, too. Both offer considerable sound sculpting features to allow the patches to be tweaked to perfection, should that be required.

What was the source of the original choir sound?

Thanks so much:) I don't know what synth the guy(Mats Olausson, RIP) used to get that sound....that's what I'm trying to figure out. What synth/sample was that?!?! That was before Trinity and before the JV Rolands... I don't think the Korgs of that time could do a choir sound like that

There's little information out there what he used in 90-92. I know later He used a Trinity and a SY99 and SY77
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korg M1 choir Program does not sound like the choir part in the song, so can probably be discounted.

The SY77 was around from 1989, with the SY99 released in 1991, and both are capable of rich sounds, but I've been unable to find any samples of relevant choir sounds from these keyboards.

Edit - Just found this choir sample from the SY99.

http://www.polynominal.com/site/studio/gear/synth/yamaha_sy99/pad-choir.mp3

Purpleibby

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The Korg M1 choir Program does not sound like the choir part in the song, so can probably be discounted.

The SY77 was around from 1989, with the SY99 released in 1991, and both are capable of rich sounds, but I've been unable to find any samples of relevant choir sounds from these keyboards.

Edit - Just found this choir sample from the SY99.

http://www.polynominal.com/site/studio/gear/synth/yamaha_sy99/pad-choir.mp3

Man, thanks a lot...very cool of you to try and help! Cool Agreed about the M1. I'm a long time user of the 01/W(it's from that time period) and while it has some very cool synth choir sounds and pads...it's not that sound. I don't think it's a Korg.

Here's a clip of a good example of 01/W choirs(actually everything synth here is 01/W...the monolead/string pads/organ/Choir)....It's a very good synth choir sound but it's not the one:
https://youtu.be/fwg8J6fJBa8?t=5m48s

That SY99 clip you posted is pretty cool, not sure if that's the one. Very cool sound though. Will have to investigate further(BTW, I want an SY99 badly lol, very cool synth).

The search continues. TY so much.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda sounds like the Emulator III Choir disk.

..Joe
Purpleibby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
Kinda sounds like the Emulator III Choir disk.

..Joe
Awesome, thanks so much! Will investigate Cool
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The organ/synth type of sound that accompanies the choir in the mp3 sample in the link, is definitely also present in the C'est la Vie track. If the sound in question isn't actually from from the SY99 patch, it will ultimately contain those characteristics.

Purpleibby

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The organ/synth type of sound that accompanies the choir in the mp3 sample in the link, is definitely also present in the C'est la Vie track. If the sound in question isn't actually from from the SY99 patch, it will ultimately contain those characteristics.

You guys won't believe this....

I MAY HAVE ALREADY HAD THESE choirs in my old sample collection. I have some old akai sample cds I bought when I first got my Triton Studio and I haven't used them in a while..

Among them is Best Service Peter Siedlaczeck's Classical Choirs AKAI cd......I haven't used them in a while so broke out the disk and and loaded the multisamples of AHH and OHH into my Triton Studio...and I'll be damned if it isn't the EXACT sound!

I did some digging around the internet and I found references to this Sample library as far back as 1993 but it may have been released earlier.

Someone on the web did early sample cd's referenced in SOS magazine:
http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?topic=2188.0

I don't know exactly when this library was released because there's no date on the liner notes nor on the Akai cd itself....but man it sounds exact.

The album was release january of 92 and probably recorded some in 91....
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be where I got the idea it was from the Emulator- Peter did a lot of work for E-Mur equipment too. Did their "Perfect Piano," and Orchestral 1 and 2, also.

..Joe
Purpleibby

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
Might be where I got the idea it was from the Emulator- Peter did a lot of work for E-Mur equipment too. Did their "Perfect Piano," and Orchestral 1 and 2, also.

..Joe

Wow, cool info! I appreciate your insight, that's awesome TY! There's little info on the web about the history of this library, maybe I just missed it. It sounds like those sounds but with a slightly darker/less hifi sampler setup(which would make sense, a lot of years between 91 and the Triton Studio)....then again I have the filters wide open.... Again, man TY.

He was no stranger to using Akai samplers in his rig and live rigs, though this is a bit later picture than 1991:

BTW, MASSIVE rig you have listed there! Awesome! I've thought about selling my older synths to make way for a Kronos but man I just can't let go of them....I love them too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: