Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Keep the Volume of a Certain Setting EVEN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bridge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: How to Keep the Volume of a Certain Setting EVEN Reply with quote

Hey fellow microkorgers...new to the synthesizer world and even more new to the microkorg synthesizer/vocoder I just got, so specific directions would be MUCH appreciate!...Here goes and forgive my laymen's terms for things:

Some settings on the microkorg are frustrating in that the volume of the setting increases (and then sometimes decreases) the longer you hold the note. I want to eliminate this altogether with certain settings and I'm now on hour 5 of researching it with no luck.

Specifically (so you can see what I mean) go to A31(electronica, number 1...side A haha) and when I hold say, the C note, the 'spacey vibrating sound' increases like the alien is widening its eyes as you listen (it makes sense if you play it...) How can I get the volume of every timbre in this setting to stay the same from start to finish!!??

Thanks guys!!!!!!! Sad Smile Shocked
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think you refer to A31 Duo Sign on the XL or to A71 Duo Sign on the XL+ (7 on the XL+ is for Electronica). Right?

The fading is because Timbre 1 consists of 2 sine oscillators which are slightly detuned from each other. Their sum causes the well known effect called beating. However here it is so slow that is fading. To get rid of it turn, start from the original patch and for Oscillator 2 set sync on.
This will make sure that Oscillator 2 is always in tune with oscillator 1 and makes the fading dissapear.

Bye.
Bridge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying to help OpAmp (and forgive me if this reply posted twice)

I have a MicroKorg 37-Key Analog Modeling Synthesizer with Vocoder...not an XL or an XL plus...so the setting A31 is found by turning the PROGRAM SELECT to ELECTRONICA and then pressing 1, Side A

I looked under my EDIT SELECT 1 knob for OSC2 but there are no options for syncing the Oscillation...I see what you're saying and it makes sense that the oscillation of one timbre would affect the fading/increase in volume...but there are no sync options besides under the 'OSC MOD' knob and that didn't seem to work.

There are 'key sync' and 'tempo sync' under the DELAY, LFO1/2 settings under the EDIT SELECT 1/2 sections, but nothing seemed to work

I hope you or someone can help figure this out!!Smile

Thanks in advance!! Shocked
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I missed that. Sorry. Funny that A31 on the XL has also fading when holding the note...

Someone with an original mK may help. If not, I'll try to load the mK factory settings in my XL and see whether I can reproduce it. But even then it's not sure that if I find it, that it will work on your side...

Anyway, for syncing the Osc2 to Osc1, look for OscMod, it's the second knob. If you turn it to 2 o'clock Osc2 is in sync with Osc1. Refer also to the manual for the details.

Bye.
Bridge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your help...I tried going to OSC2 under edit settings, and shifting the OSCMOD to Sync but that didn't stop it from increasing in volume. I tried on both Timbres, and neither changed. Still when I hold any note down, the staccato like sound gets louder and then fluctuates the longer you hold it.

I appreciate your help, and any other guidance you or any one of the forum can give. I should probably just use another setting, but I fear this issue will come up with other settings too, so I'd like to figure out how to fix it.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bridge,

I downloaded the orignal mK patches in my XL and listened to A31. I'm not sure I recognize what you refer to as 'the alien widening its eyes '.

If you refer to the swelling sound, in the mKXL, you can get rid of it by setting the Envelope Generator Intensity of the filter to 0 for timbre 2. This kills though the complete timbre 2, as the cutoff of the frequency is set to 0. Bring it back by turning up the cutoff of the filter to the level of your taste.

Good luck.
ToneM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bridge,

I initialized a patch on my Microkorg (original) [shift-3-3] and then started plugging in the parameters for the A.31 Patch listening after each new parameter was inputed. When I got to Mod FX and put in the phaser I started hearing what I believe you want to get rid of. That swelling sound.

You might want to give this a try and see if it helps. Also the settings for timbre 2's Patches are different from Timbre 1. You may even want to leave these off for the sound you want.

Have you seen this site? http://www.microkorgie.com It has all of the original patch settings in a nice layout. It is a Flash based site.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

ToneM
ToneM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridge, here is a page for all of the settings for A.31

http://www.microkorgie.com/microkorg-patch-a31/

ToneM
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool website tip Wink
Bridge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ToneM and OpAmp,

Wow, thank you for your help...that's a lot of parameters to go through. I appreciate your help!! I did a combo of both of your suggestions and 1) changed the Filter EG parameters to kill the attack and decay of timbre 2 completely, and 2) then under phase I, I changed a lot of those settings for timbre 2 and overall it sounded a lot more even (the swelling sound was gone!!!)

Thanks again for all your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: