Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos volume just dropping instantly

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjeffers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject: Kronos volume just dropping instantly Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I noticed that my board would suddenly lose volume after I play a few chords. has anyone had this experience before? If so, how can I rectify? Thanks!
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been discussed here before: maybe the vector joystick is set to modulate the volume, and your playing is vibrating it. Try moving the vector joystick and see if it lowers the volume on the patches this is happening on.

Or maybe your master volume slider is dirty/wonky and the same thing is happening. Try moving it up/down rapidly to clean it out.

Or maybe one of your audio cables is intermittent. Try new cables. Smile

19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Process of elimination is best to start with your wire connections. Pulling out the plugs and wiping them dry and reinserting them. Pull them out and reinsert them a few times over and over to break up any condensation barrier.
Humid environments require this.
Also your wires themselves should be checked, because its common wires go bad where they bend at the point where they meet the plug end. Or wires get mashed over time.
The easy test is to plug the wires into another device and see how the sound fares from there. Compare wires between another device before thinking the problem is in Kronos.
If its headphone you use when having the sound problem, do the same test with your headphone. Test it on another device.
If its not headphones you were using, test the sound of Kronos from headphones to see if the same sound problem comes through headphones.

If wires and headphone test do not have problems on another device, then the problem may be Kronos and i would try a reboot and think about technical help if none of these options work.

I have had the same issue on Korg Triton many times in a humid environment and also a few times with Kronos. Always ,when i unplug all the main wires and headphones and reinsert them repeatedly to break up condensation or corrosion, i get my sound back. Sometimes i buy new wires when old ones go bad.
Sometimes i lose sound so gradually over time, i do not notice the loss until i move kronos and set up elsewhere and hear how loud it sounds after reinserting the wires.

I should probably make regular daily habit of reinserting wires as maintenance.
Shocked
studio429

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this issue when the vector joystick has been the culprit - check that you haven't knocked it, or indeed as has been suggested above that vibration isn't modulating it. In my case it was simple - I'd knocked the vector which killed the sound.

One of the top UK female fronted rock / pop covers bands

Kronos 88 / Kronos 73
Fibcouple

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same intermittent problem with Kronos losing sound. There was no pattern to it and happened at most inopportune times. It went to the local keyboard tech and it didn't do it for him for a week. Then the Kronos started not powering on intermittently but refused to do it for the tech. Reseating the RAM seemed to bring it round but then it will go off again. Changing the RAM sticks didn't do it either.

Finally it had to go to Korg UK & they found a faulty power supply & a faulty power connector as the culprit.

Touchwood, it hasn't done it since - this drama was 6 months ago. The same may not be true for ur keyboard but I thought it will help in case you don't make any progress.

regards

Fib
lcmorley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought is that you are playing a demo plugin which temporarily reduces the volume before bringing it back up again.

Please checkout my music at www.soundcloud.com/lcmorley

My Gear History (from 11 years old until now):
Yamaha PSR-31, Technics KN1000, Technics KN5000, Technics KN7000, Korg PA-80, Korg Triton Classic, Microkorg, Korg Triton Studio, Alesis Ion, Korg Legacy Collection, Korg Triton Extreme, Roland Juno D, Access Virus TI 2, Korg M3, Korg Oasys, Roland TR-8, Korg Kronos 2 88 Platinum.
cjeffers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all the responses. I will start troubleshooting right away. Stay well my friends!
plutohall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Kronos LS - Volume going up and down on it's own Reply with quote

The volume goes up and down all by itself on my Kronos LS. It is quite pronounced. It started about 3 months ago and would just drop once in awhile (every 20 hours playing time). Then suddenly it has started doing it drastically Down and then back up every minute and sometimes every few seconds.
(To the shop it goes - worst time, I have gigs).

Anyone else having the same problem?
NJkeysman888

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem with my Kronos X61. In the middle of playing a Combi, sometimes on stage with the band, suddenly my volume decreases drastically. It doesn't happen predictably and initially I would turn up my volume but then later the volume returned to normal and I'd be too loud. Rebooting is not an option playing live either.

Subsequently, I discovered that if it happened, and I changed the Combi and then returned to the one where the volume dropped, either through the Set List or dialing up/down, the volume is back to normal.

It's not my vector joystick as I have disabled that. Also, I play using a voltage regulated UPS for my Kronos X so it's not varying electricity.

One person on a Facebook group suggested a possible power supply issue. And I don't use my headphone jack enough to have had it happen via headphone jack.

I'd be grateful for any troubleshooting ideas.

Gene
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the COMPARE button to instantly revert back to the good state. It's quicker than changing combis and back again.

As for the cause, several possibilities:

- 9th slider moves slightly, which is the Master Volume (separate from Volume Knob)
- volume pedal or foot pedal assigned to MIDI CC7 moves slightly
- some other connected MIDI device sends random MIDI CCs to Kronos

For example, I once had an X-station connected via USB to my Kronos. For months, every once in awhile while editing sounds or just playing a combi, the volume would cut out and other weird changes to the sound. The combi timbres all suddenly were panned left, etc.

Turns out the old crusty X-station would sporadically send out MIDI CCs, probably because the numerous buttons and sliders were dusty or just shoddy and playing hard would shake it and cause it to spit out changes.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJkeysman888 wrote:
I'm having the same problem with my Kronos X61. In the middle of playing a Combi, sometimes on stage with the band, suddenly my volume decreases drastically. It doesn't happen predictably and initially I would turn up my volume but then later the volume returned to normal and I'd be too loud. Rebooting is not an option playing live either.

Gene

clarify 'suddenly '. For example, are you playing an EP Program, and the volume suddenly drops " X % " while playing that Program.

Or are you changing Combis or Programs, and the sudden drop off occurs on the new Program you changed to ?

And , what dial or slider are u using to manage volume changes, and whereabouts are you on that for normal playing, lets say 11:00 for a dial, as an example

And are you 100% solid its not your audio gear ? Mixer, etc etc
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos volume just dropping instantly Reply with quote

cjeffers wrote:
Hello everyone. I noticed that my board would suddenly lose volume after I play a few chords. has anyone had this experience before? If so, how can I rectify? Thanks!

Troubleshooting requires a lot information on the condtions surrounding the problem. Especially on an instrument as complex as the Kronos.
manishthatte

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Please Check your velocity and aftertouch settings... Reply with quote

I came across this same problem a few days back. The problem was with my velocity and aftertouch settings. Once I got them right, the problem was solved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: