Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Please make a 73 key KRONOS with NON - Weighted keys
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Please make a 73 key KRONOS with NON - Weighted key Reply with quote

plutohall wrote:
Korg please release a LIMITED EDITION Korg Kronos 73 key with quality non-weighted key action I think you would not regret it.

+1

I have an Oasys 76 which has a superb synth action keyboard with plenty of options for split ranges.

Bought a Kronos2 but had to go for the 61 notes because it was the only synth action keybed. Would have preferred more keys and would have happily paid more.

Would be interesting to see what the sales were for the Oasys 76 (non weighted) and 88 (weighted) key versions........
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Korg has been showing off a prototype of a new Vox Continental which has 73/76 semi-weighted keys so it's definitely still in their thinking.

I do agree it would be a great addition to the line up. The Kronos has been very successful and this would expand the instrument to new customers.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
wildebeest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes yes yes. So agree. I almost didn't get a Kronos when I realised the middle board was weighted. There are many songs my band plays live where I'm unable to add the full richness of sound because I've run out of ivory.
lunaluna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Please make a 73 key KRONOS with NON - Weighted key Reply with quote

plutohall wrote:
Korg please release a LIMITED EDITION Korg Kronos 73 key with quality non-weighted key action I think you would not regret it.

I do respectfully think that Korg is missing out on a large demographic of keyboard players who are not "Pianists" but rather "Keyboard Players" who don't want weighted keys. For us the 73 (or 76) key non weighted keyboard is essential. 88 keys being too big to drag around and 61 keys is too limiting - not allowing one to play piano and or really split the board efficiently.

We don't want to drag 2 keyboards out night after night to gigs in order to have a non- weighted action keyboard along to play things that cannot easily be played on the weighted Kronos keyboard - ie. organ, fast runs and synth solos . ...... Importantly, I understand there are a lot of professional keyboard players like me who have ALWAYS played non-weighted keys and cannot afford the pain associated with weighted keys - leading to carpel tunnel. (Also I imagine that a lot of beginner keyboard players might choose an easier action keyboard if given a choice also). (76 or 73 keys makes no difference).

For many years I have been a loyal Korg keyboard player (last owned Triton series) I am going to have to sell my 73 key Korg Kronos and switch over to one of the other Major Companies who continue to offer a 73 -76 synth action - non-weighted premium keyboard. Companies that also cater to "Keyboard Players" and not just "Pianists" - UNLESS Korg hears us.

I respectfully submit that Korg will not regret releasing a Korg Kronos 73 key non weighted edition. I think sales would pick up dramatically.

AMEN TO THAT ! I'm on the exact same boat . That's really my only complaint on the Kronos. I had the M373 before the Kronos and it was great . I just don't get why Korg didn't realize that not everyone wants or needs weighted keys.
Shambler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't enough to put me off but yes I would have probably bought a semi-weighted synth action in 73/76 keys over the weighted version if it had existed.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had the M3/73 and absolutely loved the size. I used that single board for years. Perfect for the weekend warrior, which I suspect many of us are. Come on Korg, give us a Kronos 73/76 semi-weighted.
PatrickD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also would like a 73 or 76 non weighted. I am truly not a fan of unhooking my 88 studio board from all my gear to haul it any where. These puppies are heavy and cumbersome. I was thinking of just getting a 61. A lot of money for just a small board though. I would pay the difference for a 76. Truth is I think Kronos is going the way of Triton and we will see a new board this Winter. Hope its not a chopped version of what we have now! Very Happy
CUBASE 11.5 Halion 6
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gig-friendly and relatively lightweight 73 key Kronos would be a great addition to the Kronos line!
timg11

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we're dreaming, why even consider 73 keys? The 76 key non-weighted action on the Triton family was excellent. When I moved to the Kronos, I had to re-design splits and combis due to the "missing" 3 keys. I used them frequently. I also gig with a second keyboard with an unweighted action. I never thought it was a problem to play piano parts on an unweighted keyboard. But I definitely found it is an issue to play organ parts on a weighted keyboard.

Ultimately, Korg should modularize the workstations. Interchangeable keyboard units (61 unweighted, 73 weighted, 76 unweighted, 88 weighted), common user interface, and modular, upgradable processing platform. Ideally they could snap apart easily, so each component would weigh less when transporting to a gig.

Oh and while we're dreaming, I'd like to suggest that a better mechanical engineer be hired for designing the keybed. My Triton Studio was mechanically perfect for over 10 years - maybe that designer is still around? My Kronos had problems with the keybed that had to be serviced within the first year, and still a few keys are "rattling". And the mechanical design is so flimsy that we are advised to insert scraps of cardboard in front of the keys before moving it anywhere? Really?
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:

Ultimately, Korg should modularize the workstations. Interchangeable keyboard units (61 unweighted, 73 weighted, 76 unweighted, 88 weighted), common user interface, and modular, upgradable processing platform. Ideally they could snap apart easily, so each component would weigh less when transporting to a gig.

They tried that once. The Korg Komponent System for the M3 and RADIAS. One problem was you couldn't purchase only the keybed so if you had the module and wanted to add keys or swap out the keybed for a different one you were out of luck.

Nice idea but I suppose there wouldn't be a huge demand for just the keybed so they would have a lot of extras in stock that to go unsold.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea about interchangeable keyboards.

I'm still dreaming about a Kronos Sound Module..... Smile
plutohall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Petition Korg for 73 or 76 key option with unweighted keys Reply with quote

I know that this forum probably only reflects a small fraction of the people who are buying Korg keyboards HOWEVER

- Wish there was a way to start a Petition to Korg requesting they release a 73 or 76 Key Korg Kronos option with unweighted keys also. (At the very least to additionally include a 73 or 76 key option with unweighted keys when they next release their flagship keyboard - hopefully soon).

For those who would like to see this - if we make enough noise - Korg might respond. Sure they are looking at their bottom line.

I am going to be contacting Korg at a higher administrative level to request this.
jeddy 3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have bought a 73 or 76 if it were non-weighted. Instead, I got a Nord Electro 73 for piano and organ and a Kronos 2 61 for synth and other bits
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Petition Korg for 73 or 76 key option with unweighted ke Reply with quote

plutohall wrote:
I know that this forum probably only reflects a small fraction of the people who are buying Korg keyboards HOWEVER

- Wish there was a way to start a Petition to Korg requesting they release a 73 or 76 Key Korg Kronos option with unweighted keys also. (At the very least to additionally include a 73 or 76 key option with unweighted keys when they next release their flagship keyboard - hopefully soon).

For those who would like to see this - if we make enough noise - Korg might respond. Sure they are looking at their bottom line.

I am going to be contacting Korg at a higher administrative level to request this.

I will sign that petition today. The 73 and 88 weighted kronos' are simply too heavy for the weekend warrior.
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love my Kronos'. However, I would have picked up the Kronos 2 in the 73 key version except for the weighted keys. I finally broke down and purchased a Jupter 80...the keybed is perfect and it adds a different "flava" to my Korgs. I started playing piano at a very young age, however, I played a compact organ for years in bands...and because of that I really prefer the non weighted keys.

So yes, I hope Korg will offer both 73 types as the Kronos is a great instrument.

Denny C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: