Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement knobs for electribe sampler
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sulfur

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cade wrote:
Just installed a full set of ChromaCaps:

Cool!
I can't say about the feeling but I've always thought that these machines really lack some contrast. It's not only an aesthetic matter, the colored knobs give also a new sense of organization and separation of every synth part.
Well done!
sl23

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sl23 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl23 wrote:
Agreed. Love the colours and the fact you can distinguish between the different sections easily. Any chance of a better quality pic to get a better idea of the overall look. A nice clear full front view would be better. Thanks

sure
unit on in ambient light:

unit on in white desk LEDs and GITD pattern knob:

unit off in ambient light (slightly blurry) and GITD pattern knob:

Note: the GITD (glow in the dark) rotary encoder knob is not spongy, it is "slick" harder plastic.
Korg Electribe 2 Sampler, Keith McMillen Instruments K-Mix, Korg Volca Bass, Cyclone Analogic TT-303, Novation Ultranova, Roland System-1, Roland JP-08 Boutique, Roland SH-201, Focusrite Saffire PRO 14, Korg Gadget v3 on iPad Air, Reason 10 on ZenBook Pro
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Looks interesting, even though it's hard to find a colour that goes along with grey-red-blue-purple color scheme of the electribe2.

Could you please elaborate on the various knobs specs you bought?
i.e how many encoders, super knobs and fatty knobs did you have to purchase?

I count 18, while the electribe2/sampler kit at DJTT is only 8 knobs.

The price is sure not the same. Confused
Cade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poumtschak wrote:
Hey,

Looks interesting, even though it's hard to find a colour that goes along with grey-red-blue-purple color scheme of the electribe2.

Could you please elaborate on the various knobs specs you bought?
i.e how many encoders, super knobs and fatty knobs did you have to purchase?

I count 18, while the electribe2/sampler kit at DJTT is only 8 knobs.

The price is sure not the same. Confused

I'm not sure what they want us to replace at DJTT. "4 Fatty Knobs" <-- I guess you could replace the encoders with knobs having an indicator, but I didn't. The picture on the site has the Fatty Knobs replacing the Encoders and in place of several of the smaller knobs as well (Amp/EG Level and Pan). Not exactly consistent with the design/use.
Obviously you can customize it however.
I actually bought a few extra blue and green to be able to reverse the scheme:

If you want to replace them directly, you need 13 Super Knobs and 5 Encoders. That's like $42.30. If you purchased two extra, you'd save about $3: so it'd be 20 knobs for $39.00 plus shipping if not in the US.

I wanted to note that the DJTT Super Knobs are a much tighter fit than the encoder knobs, and are tough to remove once installed (you can easily lift up the electribe holding only the knobs). In contrast: The Encoder knobs are almost a little loose, and I had to use a tiny piece of Teflon Tape on the posts to keep the DJTT Encoder knobs snug (without it, they slide off when pulled lightly). Of course not all of the knob batches are the same, and I have no idea if all of the Korg 6mm posts across the units are the same size exactly. The Glow in the Dark knob also fits slightly looser than the rubber Encoder because it is a different plastic.
Also, when the Encoder knobs are installed fully (and pressed down all the way against the base "light ring"), the soft rubber edge makes the knob stick a little when rotating. A simple remedy is to just pull them up about 1mm, so they are not pressing against the Electribe's light ring.
Korg Electribe 2 Sampler, Keith McMillen Instruments K-Mix, Korg Volca Bass, Cyclone Analogic TT-303, Novation Ultranova, Roland System-1, Roland JP-08 Boutique, Roland SH-201, Focusrite Saffire PRO 14, Korg Gadget v3 on iPad Air, Reason 10 on ZenBook Pro
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for this. Applause
Cade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. So, to save you all the trouble. I have also checked out the Coolor Caps found here: http://coolorcaps.com/

Coolor Caps seem to fit a little tighter (Fat-encoders definitely fit better than Chroma Caps), but there are also some differences:
Coolor Caps are made in the USA have smaller ridges and need a little trimming of the "tails" left from manufacturing. Chroma Caps are made in china, and have a softer (spongy) feel.

Chroma Caps rub on the Electribe when installed all the way on the post (can be fixed with a tiny bit of tape on top of the post to keep them from contacting the Electribe. Other differences noted here:

Coolor Caps don't "glow" as well as Chroma Caps:

Also the ordering process with Coolor Caps is a bit different, as you have to select the post direction (180 degrees) and have more options for size and indicator color (black or white line), and don't have the option to select a knob-kit for your gear specifically.

hope this helps Rolling Eyes
konaboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a coincidence, just yesterday i ordered a set of chroma caps for my e2. i'll post a picture/video for anybody that's curious.
Cade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konaboy wrote:
i'll post a picture/video for anybody that's curious.

Please post a picture with them installed. I'd love to see them. Cool
sl23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sl23 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl23 wrote:
Thanks for the pics and description.
I may get some Chroma encoders. I already swapped the small knobs with my old electribe series 1 knobs, love 'em! Only downside is they are a tad loose and short so don't go all the way down, there's around 3-4mm gap under knobs. But they make it more comfortable to use. I tend to use it only as a controller now anyway. Quite handy in that respect, if a little expensive!

Please note that the Chroma encoders don't fit snugly on the 6mm posts of the E2's, and can fall off without using some Teflon tape (or other gap-filler). It's like the encoders have a slightly larger inside than the knobs with indicators.
The Coolor encoders fit very well.
konaboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/xD1IYwLVGbY
Cade

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konaboy wrote:

https://youtu.be/xD1IYwLVGbY

Great video.! Cool

Thanks for posting it.
Cade

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement knobs for electribe sampler Reply with quote

Steeplemouth wrote:
Hey guys, took my electribe sampler out on the road and it has lost a knob in transit. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement? Are the knobs specific to the electribe or can I use a generic guitar knob or something like that?

Cheers,
Steeplemouth

To answer your original question...

they sell the replacement knobs here> https://www.guitar-parts.com/catalog/korg-electribe2-knob-510646501166-510646501167

Unfortunately, I can't tell if they are for the Gray or Black version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: