Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logos and Labels?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Logos and Labels? Reply with quote

This is probably going to sound a bit weird but if you've ever met me, you'll probably understand.

I have an issue with all the products out today having BIG logos or the name of the manufacturer or designer stamped on the product. I didn't used to however. I actually never gave it any thought until...

I was offered a gig in a hard rock band touring in Europe in 1995. The band was called Killer Bee. Great band. Good people and I had a blast. They were based out of Sweden but there was only one Swede in the band, the rest of the guys were from Toronto Canada like me. I won't go into details about how I got into the band here.

Our second gig was in Switzerland headlining a festival in front of about 5,000 people. Early on during our sound check our guitar player came over and asked it I was going to put gaffers tape over the names on the back of my keyboards. I told him I hadn't thought about it. He said, "So you're going to let people know what kind of keyboards you play?". I looked blankly back at him. He asked if I was getting paid to advertise for the companies. I said no. He asked if I was getting a commission for every keyboard I sold. Nope I replied. He then pointed out to me that I may be about to become someone other keyboard players might one day like to emulate and really would want to play the very same keyboards I was using. I said this seemed very unlikely. He said true but what happens if the band does become huge? Are you still going to advertise for free? I thought about this and decided to cover over the names of the keyboards I was using.

A few years later I needed to buy a bathing suit. For the life of me I couldn't find one that didn't have a logo on it. I thought back to what my guitar player said and felt very frustrated. Clothing companies make huge money. I really don't think they need me to advertise for them. Especially for free. I eventually after searching through several stores a pair that had a very small Nike logo on the leg. I used an indelible marker on it to paint black like the rest of the bathing suit.

I do know that today, it seems that everything you buy has it name brand stamped on it in HUGE letters but this bugs the hell out of me. I truly feel that if I'm going to wear or use somebodies product, if they want me to advertise for them, I should get paid for it. If I'm paying to use or wear their product, should I also be paying to advertise for them? I don't think so. I think that if they want me to advertise for them, I'm the one who should get paid.

It seems to me that everything has become SO market driven that individuality has become lost. I also thought it ironic that in the 60's, the "non conformists" all wore Levis bell bottom jeans and tye died tee shirts.

"I know I've been mad, I've always been mad". I'm very curious as to what you people may think of this labels and logos thing that bugs me. I'm hoping to hear from people of all ages.

Thanks for indulging a grumpy old rock musician!

Jeremykeys.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm right with you there. I do NOT wear anyone's clothing that has a logo on it. My thinking is, they have to pay TV, radio, and billboards for the right to advertise their product- why is it that I have to pay THEM to do the same thing on their clothing?

As to synths, though, I don't care- I'm not going to get tape residue on the synth just to hide the name.

BTW: Did the guitarist place tape over the name of the guitar on the headstock? Kind of hypocritical if he didn't.

..Joe
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends if the logo detracts from the look. If I buy a white shirt I don't want a big red logo on the middle of it. If I'm playing the Kronos or a Moog or whatever the logo is fine. Anyone who cares can figure out what keyboard it is logo or not. Putting tape on an instrument makes it look like it's broke.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind labels on the back of keyboards. At the end of the day most people in the know will know what type of guitar a guitarist is playing, even if you can't see the label on the headstock.

But then you can see the inconsistency of it it. The first thing I do with a a car once purchased is to peel off all of the dealer stickers! I guess the difference with keys is I don't mind people knowing about Yamaha or Korg or Nord, and, as mentioned above, the only alternative is to stick something over it, which might result on long term damage.

Or I have seen the odd keyboard player turn a name into a joke, Mark Kelly of Marillion had a "Borg Karma" and one of the keyboard players in Brit Floyd has a "Nerd" stage piano.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
I don't mind labels on the back of keyboards. At the end of the day most people in the know will know what type of guitar a guitarist is playing, even if you can't see the label on the headstock.

But then you can see the inconsistency of it it. The first thing I do with a a car once purchased is to peel off all of the dealer stickers! I guess the difference with keys is I don't mind people knowing about Yamaha or Korg or Nord, and, as mentioned above, the only alternative is to stick something over it, which might result on long term damage.

Or I have seen the odd keyboard player turn a name into a joke, Mark Kelly of Marillion had a "Borg Karma" and one of the keyboard players in Brit Floyd has a "Nerd" stage piano.

On the flip side...Logos can be useful,even if your not endorsed by the brand....

Magne Furuholmen (keyboard player for Norwegian band A-ha)when they toured in the early days with DX-7 synths,covered the YAM part of the logo and utilised the brand name to display the bands name...

I don't mind displaying a keyboard logo,sometimes it's been a conversation starter when some people have come to talk to me during or after gigs especially if they are into synths and tech,however I'm certainly not a label guy when it comes to clothing,I have the odd Korg or Nord T-shirt but other than those I don't really crave buying logo or named clothing,the only thing that drives me nuts is football teams shirts in the UK and they charge way over the top for a shirt,(£50),when they clearly are made for a few pound....yet they have sponsors splashed across the front of the shirt giving out free advertisement by thousands of shirt wearing fans....that I think is wrong
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post... Rolling Eyes sorry

Last edited by Kontrol49 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the logos at the back of the keyboards certainly aren't for the player's benefits!

Where does it end, though? Logos on TVs, laptops, cars, clothes, phones...

Hold and use an iPhone or iPad, and everyone/anyone else facing you sees a massive great Apple logo on the rear.

Show them a burnt phone on the other hand and everyone will know it's a Samsung! Smile
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:

On the flip side...Logos can be useful,even if your not endorsed by the brand....

Magne Furuholmen (keyboard player for Norwegian band A-ha)when they toured in the early days with DX-7 synths,covered the YAM part of the logo and utilised the brand name to display the bands name...

Very Happy - I was struggling to think what you could do with Yamaha! Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's an interesting question. I loved NERD, (YAM)AHA. Smile

However, good products are recognizable from their unique appearance anyway, even if the logo/name is not visible.

If it’s shown on the product itself, as a user I don’t mind to ‘advertise’ something which I am really happy with, this way. I am glad to recommend it to others. I like nice graphics, too. Yeah, the tape looks like a repair, anyway. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: