Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inconsistent keyboard translation between home PA & venu

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FigureofFiend

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Inconsistent keyboard translation between home PA & venu Reply with quote

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any and all help. I'm excited to hear feedback on my issue, as it has plagued me for years! It may take a bit to explain, crossing my fingers for patient forum-goers.

I play a Korg Kronos 88 in a three-piece progressive post-rock band, and utilize many different bass and high-end sounds in our music, often at the same time.

My issue is that, currently, I own a single QSC KW153 powered cab to design my keyboard patches (sounds) in my home. I EQ and balance the sounds so that they sound pretty good, only to have it, with no surprise, sound quite different when running through medium sized Chicago venues like SubT, Reggie's Rock Club, Bottom Lounge. I'll DI into their mains, and the bass will often overwhelm the rest of my sound, and likely the rest of the band at times, while the high-end suffers and is underwhelming.

I've tried to adjust and EQ after performances at venues with only moderate success, and I'd like to try and remedy this, perhaps a bit obsessively, by purchasing a more expansive home audio rig that will more evenly and honestly replicate venue set ups. In volume, not as much, but in frequency response and deliverance, yes. I understand every venue varies. I also imagine the venues may or may not apply certain treatments to my sound, such as roll offs, limiting, etc. Although the bass at these venues sometimes - you'd swear maybe not. If necessary though, I'd love to know of those common treatments as well, to again try and replicate professional venues and lock down a consistent, equally professional tone:

I'd like to switch from a single powered tri-amped unit to two passive speakers for stereo (long overdue), and I imagine a single sub. My assumption was to go tri-amped for the two stereo cabs, but I may be wrong there. Volume output needs to be equal or slightly higher than the QSC (in order to keep up with volume of drums & tube Fryette amp, trust me.) Also needed is a power amp, which I'm not too familiar with.

I tried to hone in a set up based on my assumption, which was the two Yorkville U15, a Yorkville USC1, and the QSC PLD4.5 to power them. This post is getting a bit long so I really should cut to the chase here:

1) What is an ideal setup to achieve what I need? Bi-amped or tri-amped cabs alongside the sub?

2) What brand and model would you recommend for the two mains and the sub, as an enthusiast and in terms of quality of the cab and sound? My research led me to either QSC or Yorkville as top contenders, but I've recently heard from others that those aren't "great anymore" and to check out Yamaha, Mackie, or JBL Face palm. Higher tier like Danley etc is out of budget range.

3) For choosing the power amp, just look at the program rating of the cabs and get something with around 20-25% more power per channel, correct?

4) Any treatments I should give to my keyboard sound to replicate what they'll do live? I imagine a high-pass on 60hz? Ideal output volume to be fed into power amp (like -6db)?

5) Again, just to summarize, I'd like to create a sound system at my home that will more accurately and evenly translate to venues, within a measure of reason.

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Audio / Visual All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: