Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Export DOES NOT pick up the master effect?!?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Export DOES NOT pick up the master effect?!? Reply with quote

Subject says it all.

I just tested audio export for the first time.

Master effect is not rendered when you chose audio export.

Now, sure, your daw or copy of Ableton Live has a million effects to play with. And you can record it the old fashioned way. But wow! I never expected this.

This gives evidence to my theory that they just glued a mini KP2 in there - Master FX only exists as an independent audio effect that comes right before the outputs. And it's why tails carry over across pattens if you have the same effect. It's just not part of the in-chip sound path, and it's not part of the export render. And when it finishes silently exporting, you actually hear the delay that should have been in the export.

Speaking of tails:

In addition, when you export: insert effects run from a fresh start - if you have delay as an insert, the beginning of your clip won't contain the "tail" - meaning loops don't behave like they do when the unit has made a complete pass. You don't get a seamless loop. Hey, you might not want one - why is this not an option?

The longer I use it the more I'm confused by some of the decisions the Korg team made - if they were even decisions to begin with.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Export DOES NOT pick up the master effect?!? Reply with quote

Ted3000 wrote:

The longer I use it the more I'm confused by some of the decisions the Korg team made - if they were even decisions to begin with.

Agree, there are some real eyebrow raising omissions of book 1 page 1 items. Still great fun though...

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully some of these things are just bugs or oversights, and we see a fix soon in an update.

I'm kind of torn on the master effects being rendered with stems. It's no different on a daw, if you send someone stems of the track to work on more, usually you mute the effects on the master channel too. I could see how it would be frustrating in the Electribe since you have so few effects though, and some tracks might be using the master effects for reverb.
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarekith wrote:
Hopefully some of these things are just bugs or oversights, and we see a fix soon in an update.

I'm kind of torn on the master effects being rendered with stems. It's no different on a daw, if you send someone stems of the track to work on more, usually you mute the effects on the master channel too. I could see how it would be frustrating in the Electribe since you have so few effects though, and some tracks might be using the master effects for reverb.

That is very true, in the DAW world - compressors that have multiple tracks hitting it react very differently when only one track at a time is soloed through it, stems are preferred dry for remixing, etc. Maybe that was the thinking.

But the master effect on the electribe is not about mastering or multiband sidechain compression that depends on the other tracks. It's more of a simple performance effect or sound design element, and since each part can route to it or not, it's really like a second global insert effect. I guess I expected that the master would be in the export, I was surprised it wasn't.
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows, maybe a bug.
goony

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit took me by surprised too when I exported it too.... No master effect at all........
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I am not that attached to the whole export thing. This would have been a total bummer for me.

Well I just treat my DAW's as track recorders and we're done.

This to me makes the on board event recorder on the tribe just that much more valuable to me.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
jimmyfontana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kinda makes sense for certain mfx like compressor or limiter. They could work around it by exporting a separate master track, with all those tracks routed to the mfx, or individual tracks, each affected by the mfx. Maybe a parameter in the export menu to specify what option the user wants before exporting, if the internal hardware routing allows this.
brambos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes complete sense to me, to be honest. Maybe because it fits my workflow, but consider this: the main reason for having Ableton export is so you can continue working on half-finished material and complete it on your PC. Hence you want the Electribe to export raw material (samples and tracks, building blocks for your actual track) rather than a fully 'mastered in the box' audio track.

I don't care either way, and they could have offered an option for it, but it doesn't really surprise me at all from a production workflow point of view.

I have no doubt this was a very conscious and well considered decision. Not a bug.
jimmyfontana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brambos wrote:
I have no doubt this was a very conscious and well considered decision. Not a bug.

Yeah, plenty of hardware only has mfx in the main outs as opposed to the individual ones, like the machinedrum.
dutchcow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it does't export MFX and also doesn't create proper loops due to IFX being cut/not using a full run to create the loop. Still figuring out ways around these things and hoping Korg will try to fix some.

It would be silly for Korg to add MFX that have no numerical values and is on a separate audio circuit only useful live or if you record the line out. I kinda like the export function because it stays 'digital'.
grimleyj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer! Electribe arrived a few weeks ago and I just tried the export function tonight. Master FX is kind of central to this track and I was hoping it would be rendered to a separate audio file (along with individual separate dry tracks).
Also, the tracks should be rendered up to 3 times as long as they are. For example, with a 4 bar track with a delay insert, you would get the first few notes of the first 4 bar section with no delay tail at the start, then the middle 4 bars could be looped and then an extra bar (or more) would include the tail. This is usually how I create stems on the Octatrack for example, before I bring them into Ableton.
7zark7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't the simple workaround be to re-sample the the effected track and export the new version?

-7zark7
Hardware: 1010 Audio Bitbox, Akai MAX25 pro, Alesis Micron, Korg ES2, Korg KP3, Korg microSampler MS-1, Korg Minilogue, Korg MS20 mini, Korg SQ-1, Korg Triton, Korg Volca Sample, Roland MC-307, Roland AIRA MX-1, Roland AIRA SYSTEM 1m, Roland JD-Xi, Roland AIRA Scooper, Roland AIRA Demora,
Software: Synapse-Audio Orion and loads of VST/VSTi
WestLondoner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This - "you can record it the old fashioned way"

IOW, just to re-confirm: recording any outputted sound, with wires to the 1/4 inch outs, does indeed mean that the MFX is still included 100%.

So, it's not quite the end of the universe for just everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: