Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E2S sold it after 3 wks-samples cutoff when changing pattern
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
prints

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeplemouth wrote:
prints wrote:
apapdop wrote:
I sold my Electribe 2 Sampler pretty much for this very reason, samples being cut off on pattern change. However clever you get with insert FX from one pattern to the next will NOT solve this. It's up to you to engineer your patterns for smooth changes from one to the next, so that means no slowly decaying sounds near the end of a pattern, otherwise the decay will be cut short.

The crappy little Volca Sample changes patterns beautifully, nothing gets cut off until a new sample is triggered on that part. That's how it should be.

It baffles me. I wrote Korg, and they weren't even working on fixing it. The majority of people here don't even seem to be aware of it. My SP-404 has a much better work flow because samples don't get abruptly cutoff when I don't want them to.

The fact that most people seem to be unaware of it suggests that most people have no need for it. If it was seen as a big flaw then we'd all be aware of it. There are many things that require Korg's attention with these units and they should be focussing that attention where it is needed most, which is the issues that the majority of users have flagged and requested.

It suggests that you're all idiots.
forsh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prints wrote:
Steeplemouth wrote:
prints wrote:
apapdop wrote:
I sold my Electribe 2 Sampler pretty much for this very reason, samples being cut off on pattern change. However clever you get with insert FX from one pattern to the next will NOT solve this. It's up to you to engineer your patterns for smooth changes from one to the next, so that means no slowly decaying sounds near the end of a pattern, otherwise the decay will be cut short.

The crappy little Volca Sample changes patterns beautifully, nothing gets cut off until a new sample is triggered on that part. That's how it should be.

It baffles me. I wrote Korg, and they weren't even working on fixing it. The majority of people here don't even seem to be aware of it. My SP-404 has a much better work flow because samples don't get abruptly cutoff when I don't want them to.

The fact that most people seem to be unaware of it suggests that most people have no need for it. If it was seen as a big flaw then we'd all be aware of it. There are many things that require Korg's attention with these units and they should be focussing that attention where it is needed most, which is the issues that the majority of users have flagged and requested.

It suggests that you're all idiots.

There's no need for insults if you can't use your electribe properly
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you're the only smart one right? The genius that cannot use his machine because of a fundamental flaw renders the device completely useless. The flaw that nobody else has noticed. The flaw that prevents you making music on a machine that nobody else has a problem making music on. And we're the idiots? Laughing
forsh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeplemouth wrote:
And you're the only smart one right? The genius that cannot use his machine because of a fundamental flaw renders the device completely useless. The flaw that nobody else has noticed. The flaw that prevents you making music on a machine that nobody else has a problem making music on. And we're the idiots? Laughing

Hi 5 for that man Smile
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeplemouth wrote:

Plenty of people have noticed this, it is a "feature" shared with the Grey Electribe and was listed in the petition sent to Korg. It didn't render the machines useless, it prevented people from using the machines in a certain way, or it certainly made it more tricky to use in that certain way. And it wasn't asking the machines to do anything out of the ordinary. It was simply asking it to play from one pattern to the next, without anything being cut off prematurely when changing patterns. Nuthin' fancy... As i said, my Volca Sample can do it no problem. As could the old ESX-1. And that's just the machines i'm familiar with.

People get round it, or (like myself) sell the things and move on. I really liked the new Electribes, but in the end they weren't suited to the way i make music. I don't think anybody can honestly say they are without flaws, hence the large number of requests on the petition. But i'm certain that i'm not the only one who feels that if they could change pattern without cutting anything off, well, i'd still be using them for sure. But hey ho, life goes on eh?

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
prints

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I shouldn't have said idiots; I meant to say suckers.
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear me,

some mewling infants require immediate transfer to the Crying Room.
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apapdop wrote:
Steeplemouth wrote:

Plenty of people have noticed this, it is a "feature" shared with the Grey Electribe and was listed in the petition sent to Korg. It didn't render the machines useless, it prevented people from using the machines in a certain way, or it certainly made it more tricky to use in that certain way. And it wasn't asking the machines to do anything out of the ordinary. It was simply asking it to play from one pattern to the next, without anything being cut off prematurely when changing patterns. Nuthin' fancy... As i said, my Volca Sample can do it no problem. As could the old ESX-1. And that's just the machines i'm familiar with.

People get round it, or (like myself) sell the things and move on. I really liked the new Electribes, but in the end they weren't suited to the way i make music. I don't think anybody can honestly say they are without flaws, hence the large number of requests on the petition. But i'm certain that i'm not the only one who feels that if they could change pattern without cutting anything off, well, i'd still be using them for sure. But hey ho, life goes on eh?

There are ways around it. You could split your sample every four bars and have each pattern trigger the next part of the sample when you change patterns.

Letting one sample play over multiple patterns poses its own problems, which is probably why Korg had them cut out.

What if your sample was on pad 1 and you had something else on pad 1 on the next pattern? You want them to play simultaneously even though they share the same pad?

What about any IFX and MFX on your long sample? You want those effects to carry over onto the new pattern as well as play the IFX and MFX on the new pattern at the same time?

What if you had a sample longer than four bars on a number of successive patterns? You want them all to play out? You could be onto pattern 4 and still have long samples from patterns 1, 2 and 3 playing at the same time.

Come on guys, be realistic. This machine has voice stealing problems as it is. Carrying long samples over multiple patterns would a nightmare.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't talking about using 8 bar samples in 4 bar patterns or anything like that. I mean things like having a crash cymbal triggering on the last 16th step of a pattern instead of the first. That is a fair enough thing to ask, no? Sometimes you don't want it to trigger "on the one", you want it a fraction earlier. That would be cut short on pattern change.

Say you have a vocal sample that is just slightly longer than 2 bars, the singer holds the last word just a bit longer. You want it triggered on beat 3 of the last bar of the pattern. As the pattern loops round, it sounds great. Change pattern, that last word is chopped short. Nothing carries over into the next pattern...

I sometimes like to pitch my hihats down. If one was too near the end of the pattern, it would be cut short going into another pattern. That kind of thing. The pattern change just would not sound right and i would end up spending so much time on trying to get it to sound right. And getting it to sound "right" meant using delay all the time, big "events" at the start of each pattern to mask things, or things would have to get less busy towards the end of a pattern!!

As i said, i've sold them, moved on and am gloriously happy with what i've got right now. I certainly don't want to bitch on the Electribes because i liked them, made some music with them and am in no way bitter about the experience. It was just a real, real shame they did that on pattern change.

I actually thing it's down to the Ableton Export feature, so all the exported .wavs are a nice and neat 4 bars long... Grrrrr...

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: