Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MicroKORG Single layer 2 oscillators ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToneM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: MicroKORG Single layer 2 oscillators ? Reply with quote

Hello out there. So I'm working thru my new Microkorg and was wondering if while using a single layer program if I can use two different waveforms. When I select Osc 1 and choose a waveform and then go to Osc 2 to choose a different waveform, when I go back to Osc 1 the waveform has changed to what I had set on Osc 2. I have read the manual a lot (which is excellent BTW) but cannot find anything concerning this. So, for me it seems like you can only have the same waveforms for a single timbre.

I watched a tute on YouTube, (Umbrella Tech) about programming and it looked like he was able to adjust both oscillators differently.
rammstein

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... that's odd. you should be able to set the oscillators independently.
ToneM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems as though you can set two different waveforms only if one is set to dig. I've gone thru a lot of the presets and osc 1 and osc 2 are always the same waveform. I'm probably missing something here or maybe it's not possible.
AEJOTZ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a system glitch to me. A reset might be in order. I've always been able to set my OSC1 and OSC2 independently with no problem.

Question: Are you using the knobs and matrix to set the OSC's or are you using the editor/librarian? I've never had glitches in the MK itself but occasionally I have weird communication problems between the editor and the MK. They usually go away if I just exit and restart the editor program.

retro-futurism now

hear my retro-futurist synth music at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com

listen to, join Satellite 5 by visiting sat-5.com
ToneM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AEJOTZ wrote:
Sounds like a system glitch to me. A reset might be in order. I've always been able to set my OSC1 and OSC2 independently with no problem.

Question: Are you using the knobs and matrix to set the OSC's or are you using the editor/librarian? I've never had glitches in the MK itself but occasionally I have weird communication problems between the editor and the MK. They usually go away if I just exit and restart the editor program.

Thanks for replying, AEJOTZ. I now think this is normal behavior. I am not using the editor. Just using the matrix and knobs. I can hear that the two waveforms are different on each osc. I just thought when you set a saw on osc1 and a square on osc2 that if you turn back to osc1 the led would show a saw but in my case it shows a square. Does this work the same way on your microkorg - original?
AEJOTZ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I get it now. I'm only on my first cup of coffee so I'll struggle to explain.

Turn the EDIT SELECT knob to OSC 1. With knob 1 select 'Sin' for sine wave.

Turn the EDIT SELECT knob to OSC 2. Set to 'SAu' for saw.

Now turn the EDIT SELECT knob to OSC 1 and the display still says "saw."

The SYNTH 1 matrix light is flashing but nothing else changes. The unit is waiting for a command.

Tweak knob 1 a little and see what happens to the "ORIGINAL VALUE" light.
It goes out and won't come back on until you turn the knob through the settings and stop on 'Sin,' indicating that's what OSC 1 is set on.

You set the OSCs to different wave forms but the display made you think it changed back.

It boils down to a little confusion created by the limits of the LED display system. The MK is a little bit quirky but once you learn the quirks you can pretty much forget them. I had to do the above procedure myself and watch what was happening because I just automatically do all the little work-arounds and think-arounds.

retro-futurism now

hear my retro-futurist synth music at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com

listen to, join Satellite 5 by visiting sat-5.com
ToneM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the explanation, AEJOTZ! You explained it perfectly. I should have known what was happening but when you mentioned the matrix light flashing it made total sense!

Now that the mystery is solve I can get back to making noise!

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: