Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iWavestation in App Store Now.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: iWavestation in App Store Now. Reply with quote

Hi all.
KORG have released a Wavestation for the iPad. It sounds amazing.

http://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_iwavestation/

Regards
Sharp.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, how good does that look!
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound good and has a few extra features.

If only Apple made app storage easier. My 32GB iPad 34 is already filled.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grabbed it a few days back on a whim whilst away on business ( to while away some lonesome hotel hours Smile ). It is very good. Looks like Gadget has just been updated as well so iWavestation can also function as a gadget.

Kudos to Korg for embracing the tablet market and giving us some toys to pay with whilst away from the studio and devices like the Kronos. Very Happy

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video here: The Random button creates new wavesequences. Neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKXIPwYw2LE
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for my new 256 GB ipad pro to arrive.
This'd be the first synth app I add to it.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope a lot of the korg ipad goodness will find its way into a future kronos replacement...

There is a huge amount possibilities... and ready to implement synth engines floating in korgs ipad environment.... another thing Korg definately shows with their ipad apps is that they learned a lot about using a touchscreen interface since they started with the oasys ....
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
I hope a lot of the korg ipad goodness will find its way into a future kronos replacement...

There is a huge amount possibilities... and ready to implement synth engines floating in korgs ipad environment.... another thing Korg definately shows with their ipad apps is that they learned a lot about using a touchscreen interface since they started with the oasys ....

Not going to happen. There will be no Kronos replacement. Even if there was, there's no way of justifying a multi thousand dollar price tag for items selling for less that 20 bucks by Korg too. In my opinion, Gadget being made so accessible is verification that the Workstation is a long since finished paradigm.

Re iWavestation - it looks great- but I have to admit to having never - not once - used any iPad synth in any piece, ever. I have animoog, iMiniV, iMS20, iPolysix, and loads of others - and as good as they are - I find the iPad / flat screen concept to be woeful for making music; while connectivity to DAW environments remains confusing and flakey at best. I see no long term future in it.

Sounding pretty negative here in post after post, but I find what Korg are doing depressing these days.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Kronos replacement concept Reply with quote

I could see a Kronos replacement, for a decent number of dollars.

Let's work up an approximate plan for one, and see where it leads us:

It has to be an all-in-one tool, to be a real workstation. For that, we want at minimum a keyboard, pads, knobs, faders. We need an audio interface, we need MIDI operation, we need internal intelligence (and an interface to match) providing for synthesis, samples/recording, sequencing, effects, mixing, final EQ and so on.

Right up front, that controller, purchased out of the box would be several hundred dollars. As a typical example, I see a Nektar Panorama 61 being advertised on Sweetwater for around $600.

Audio interfaces range from stupidly cheap to crazily expensive, but for anything credible with MIDI support and a couple of inputs, you're not getting away with less than a few hundred dollars more.

Sequencing? Multitrack sequencers these days also go for hundreds of dollars, so let's say around six hundred there. It all depends on details, but if you get something like a Squarp Pyramid at that price you're not doing badly.

Synthesis - well, it depends on how many voices and what types of synthesis, but for a solid synth in desktop format, with good polyphony and a wide range of sounds, you can get an Access Virus for a couple of grand, or if you want to go lower end, a Blofeld for about half a thousand.

Putting all those together with cables and everything - you're paying $2,000 when all is said and done, at a minimum. If you go towards the higher end, you can drop $4,000 easily.

The workstation, well crafted, can come in easily under that price. A premium workstation that enables a composer to compose a song, render the synthesis, record a singer and a violin solo, master it all and save it on USB or SDcard to send to a duplication shop? Should be able to hit the $3,000 mark or less, and be a very credible tool.

Or if you want to go for the low end, as a successor to the Kross, the guts of an iPad (or similar) with a lower end controller, driving a touch screen interface and something akin to KORG's Gadget software, would be a lot more credible than just an iPad and a MIDI controller in a number of ways. Technology has marched so that recreating the Kross (Kross 2?) with even something as simple as a Kindle Fire, running the equivalent of something along the lines of Caustic or Sunvox should be able to play in the $500 region - $700 at most.

And yes, I could see people paying for that.

Maybe the next Kronos won't top $3000. Or maybe it will, but it will have something like a Roli Seaboard driving it. Or maybe KORG goes for a modular concept, similar to the ill-fated Komponents, with dedicated tablets that can be set to fit the needs of the musician.

I see a lot of potential. It just doesn't necessarily mean a black slab with piano keys.
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin I don't see what's to be negative on here about the iWavestation....I agree the dedicated hardware has a character sound....but as far as an interface goes...it's like a Wavestation with a huge color touchscreen and new interface features to boot!

Hooked up to a good Korg synth as a keyboard controller and your gold man....really...would be just like a Wavestation with a touchscreen interface and a Korg controller....Pair it with a good quality ipad audio interface and you're gold!

I think this is awesome...and Korg KUDOS TO YOU for making it available for 4th generation and older IPADS!!! BRAVO, very cool of you Korg! Applause

One omission I noticed....are the Wavestation SR pcm cards on there too? They're different than the others.

BTW, Korg treats the 01/W like the black sheep of the family it seems lol(I kinda like that TBH).
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I do agree with Kevin to some degree (concerns over lack of innovation for some time)

I bought the iWaveStation today along with Extra banks , and I have very happy with it.

The Random Button just Hits the nail on the Spot. Having built a personal S/W wavestation editor a decade or so ago, I know how complex / time consuming W/S can be. Hit the button a few times and you have a unique wSeq, add in a little bit of editing and you have an as good a patch as any.

I havent tried it but the manual says it imports the Legacy Edition as well as supports W/S SYX Files Smile.

I in a way,do welcome the reIncarnations of the Korgs Synths of the Gone Era.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Bachus wrote:

Not going to happen. There will be no Kronos replacement. Even if there was, there's no way of justifying a multi thousand dollar price tag for items selling for less that 20 bucks by Korg too. In my opinion, Gadget being made so accessible is verification that the Workstation is a long since finished paradigm.

Re iWavestation - it looks great- but I have to admit to having never - not once - used any iPad synth in any piece, ever. I have animoog, iMiniV, iMS20, iPolysix, and loads of others - and as good as they are - I find the iPad / flat screen concept to be woeful for making music; while connectivity to DAW environments remains confusing and flakey at best. I see no long term future in it.

Sounding pretty negative here in post after post, but I find what Korg are doing depressing these days.

Actually it allready happened because most of these apps are based on Software once written for kronos... like the polysix, the ms20 ... and the korg module is based on the engine used in the Krome...

Its mostly repackaging and reselling what they build, and to be honest, i think korg definately needs this income to be proffitable... but in the end its just the same sound as the one comming from kronos engines...
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use my iPad apps in my studio, I have no problems with it. I "play" the sounds from my Kronos keyboard. The audio goes directly into my mixer. I generally don't do sequencing with it though.

I think the iPad is very useful.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
When I use my iPad apps in my studio, I have no problems with it. I "play" the sounds from my Kronos keyboard. The audio goes directly into my mixer. I generally don't do sequencing with it though.

Same with me. I have an iPad permanently docked as part of my rig. Audio direct to my audio interface, MIDI i/o to the MOTU MIDI express. I can play the iPad from any keyboard and even use the iPad as a controller. The iPad is basically the same as any other synth module but far more flexible.
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
jeremykeys wrote:

Same with me. I have an iPad permanently docked as part of my rig. Audio direct to my audio interface, MIDI i/o to the MOTU MIDI express. I can play the iPad from any keyboard and even use the iPad as a controller. The iPad is basically the same as any other synth module but far more flexible.

Ya, that's what I'm sayin' too...just use it like a synth module played from a good keyboard....don't understand what the fuss is about. I think original hardware has it's place...but this is a no brainer...if you have an Ipad spend 26-28 bucks and get a wavestation with all the cards....what's to complain about?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: