Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E2 track mute via MIDI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bladuck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: E2 track mute via MIDI Reply with quote

I need to send mute track(s) message via the mid either Sysex CC or NRPN to E2. I’ve seen similar threads here in the forum but have not found a definitive answer. Most of you might say ... "impossible there is NO sysex/CC that would be able to send the mute message to E2/ES2".

I also know that I could ask to “dump” current preset via SYSEX and send that preset back to E2 with changed mutes. I’ve done this before on older units. That is too much work on the unit (and me). I know that ESX, iElectribe (channel 10) or EMX can do this via some CC/NRPN commands.
Also I know that there are at least 4+ people on this forum that dipped into the midi implementation of E2.

Throw me a bone please... Really, there is no hack to send a mute on/off via the midi CC to the E2 ????

In the past I used to run a code/program that would just send ALL possible CC/NRPN messages to see if the unit responds to ANY of them. If there was response I would cross reference with the dump to find possible values.

Thank is advance
Telengard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: E2 track mute via MIDI Reply with quote

bladuck wrote:
I need to send mute track(s) message via the mid either Sysex CC or NRPN to E2. I’ve seen similar threads here in the forum but have not found a definitive answer. Most of you might say ... "impossible there is NO sysex/CC that would be able to send the mute message to E2/ES2".

I also know that I could ask to “dump” current preset via SYSEX and send that preset back to E2 with changed mutes. I’ve done this before on older units. That is too much work on the unit (and me). I know that ESX, iElectribe (channel 10) or EMX can do this via some CC/NRPN commands.
Also I know that there are at least 4+ people on this forum that dipped into the midi implementation of E2.

Throw me a bone please... Really, there is no hack to send a mute on/off via the midi CC to the E2 ????

In the past I used to run a code/program that would just send ALL possible CC/NRPN messages to see if the unit responds to ANY of them. If there was response I would cross reference with the dump to find possible values.

Thank is advance

It would be cool to come up with some of the SYSEX for the e2/es2. I will have to see if I can dig up my old info on the EMX and try sending some of them at the e2.
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: E2 track mute via MIDI Reply with quote

bladuck wrote:

Thank is advance

You could send volume cc set to 0 for mute, but you would also need to set an un-muted volume cc which would then override wherever you had set the volume on that part on the E2s... So you would need to set all the tracks to the same level and adjust volumes at the sample level... Which would obviously be a bit of work.
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: E2 track mute via MIDI Reply with quote

Telengard wrote:
It would be cool to come up with some of the SYSEX for the e2/es2.

Help yourself:
http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/367/2666/

Unfortunately, the Part Mute status is part of the pattern data structure, but it seems the temporary memory where it would be loaded on edit/playback is unreachable through SysEx.

Code:
TABLE 6 :Part Parameter
 OFFSET : Offset in the Pattern Parameter
+-------------+--------------------------+--------------------------------------+
|  OFFSET     |    PARAMETER             | VALUE/DESCRIPTION                    |
+-------------+--------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| 0           | Last Step                | 0,1~15=16,1~15                       |
| 1           | Mute                     | 0,1=OFF,ON                           |
| 2           | Voice Assign             | 0,1,2,3=Mono1, Mono2, Poly1, Poly2   |
| 3           | Motion Sequence          | 0,1,2=Off, Smooth, TriggerHold       |
| 4           | Trig.Pad Velocity        | 0,1=Off,On                           |
| 5           | Scale Mode               | 0,1=Off,On                           |
| 6           | Part Priority            | 0,1=Normal,High                      |
| 7           | (reserved)               |                                      |
| 8~9         | Oscillator Type          | 0~500                                |
| 10          | (reserved)               |                                      |
| 11          | Oscillator Edit          | 0~127                                |
| 12          | Filter Type              | 0~16                                 |
| 13          | Filter Cutoff            | 0~127                                |
| 14          | Filter Resonance         | 0~127                                |
| 15          | Filter EG Int.           | -63~63                               |
| 16          | Modulation Type          | 0~71                                 |
| 17          | Modulation Speed         | 0~127                                |
| 18          | Modulation Depth         | 0~127                                |
| 19          | (reserved)               |                                      |
| 20          | EG Attack                | 0~127                                |
| 21          | EG Decay/Release         | 0~127                                |
| 22~23       | (reserved)               |                                      |
| 24          | Amp Level                | 0~127                                |
| 25          | Amp Pan                  | -63~0~64=L63~center~R63              |
| 26          | EG On/Off                | 0,1=Off,On                           |
| 27          | MFX Send On/Off          | 0,1=Off,On                           |
| 28          | Groove Type              | 0~24                                 |
| 29          | Groove Depth             | 0~127                                |
| 30~31       | (reserved)               |                                      |
| 32          | IFX On/Off               | 0,1=Off,On                           |
| 33          | IFX Type                 | 0~37                                 |
| 34          | IFX Edit                 | 0~127                                |
| 35          | (reserved)               |                                      |
| 36          | Oscillator Pitch         | -63~+63                              |
| 37          | Oscillator Glide         | 0~127                                |
| 38~47       | (reserved)               |                                      |
| 48~59       | Step1 Step Data          |                                      |
| (48)        | Step1 On/Off             | 0,1=Off,On                           |
| (49)        | Step1 Gate Time          | 0~96,127=0~96,TIE                    |
| (50)        | Step1 Velocity           | 1~127                                |
| (51)        | Step1 Trigger On/Off     | 0,1=Off,On                           |
| (52)        | Step1 Note Slot 1        | 0,1~128=Off,Note No 0~127            |
| (53)        | Step1 Note Slot 2        | (same as Slot 1)                     |
| (54)        | Step1 Note Slot 3        | (same as Slot 1)                     |
| (55)        | Step1 Note Slot 4        | (same as Slot 1)                     |
| (56~59)     | (reserved)               |                                      |
| 60~71       | Step2 Step Data          | (same as Step1 Step Data)            |
| .           |                                                                 |
| .           |                                                                 |
| 741~752     | Step64 Step Data         | (same as Step1 Step Data)            |

Telengard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: E2 track mute via MIDI Reply with quote

Poumtschak wrote:
Telengard wrote:
It would be cool to come up with some of the SYSEX for the e2/es2.

Help yourself:
http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/367/2666/

I completely missed that they included the SYSEX info in that file. I must not have looked very closely at it when I downloaded it awhile ago... Rolling Eyes
bladuck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the Sysex on E2 is mostly to dump / send presets not much “realtime”
fun with sysex. I still hope for some hidden CC to be able to do that.
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladuck wrote:
well the Sysex on E2 is mostly to dump / send presets not much “realtime”
fun with sysex. I still hope for some hidden CC to be able to do that.

Any thoughts on using volume cc set to 0 as mute?
immon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine a part with volume set to zero would still use system resources, but set to mute it would not. Hopefully I'm wrong as that would be cool.
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably right, it would still eat up polyphony, but it would also silence the track (if that's the goal)
MaartenNl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, maybe you have benefits from muting and unmuting for midi, but what I've learned: sometimes it's better to give up and use a plan b then keep digging till you find how to do something. I'm curious why you want to control mute, because with one hand you can do almost the same job at once, or use the event recorder. Sometimes it's nice to have a midi cintroller that controls each cutoff knob, but programming the midi thing can cost more time then actually playing.
deseipel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old thread but I used to do this (set the volume of a part to zero). The ES-1 was also unable to utilize mute via MIDI, so I had to settle for setting the volume to zero. long story short: I'd hit a drum trigger that would mute parts in real time. no joke. I also had more triggers to stop/start patterns, queue the next pattern, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: