Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How about a KORG answer to an OP-1?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: How about a KORG answer to an OP-1? Reply with quote

The Teenage Engineering OP-1 is pretty high priced (I dare say overpriced) for what it offers.

However, KORG's Gadget (and friends) are also pretty expensive for what they offer, if you include the iPad. If you're already into bits of shiny, Apple-branded glass, then the incremental cost of Gadget is low, but it's pretty much a luxury purchase otherwise. Best case, you have an iPhone or something already and you get it, but even so that's a luxury bracket item for something with limited ruggedness, a limited lifespan, and no dedicated controls.

Even if you buy the cheapest iPad going (new, not used, that's a whole different ballgame) you're not getting away with less than about $350 once you've added in software, and then it's a pretty sad purchase by today's standards. The good news is that it's half the price of the OP-1. The bad news is that it's not up to par in interface terms.

So the question becomes: how about a KORG competitor to the OP-1?

I know, it will never happen, because they'll point you at the Electribe, or Gadget, but I think that they could do better.

Physical hardware, dedicated controls, linear sequencer (NOT pattern-based), MIDI in/out, a decent set of on-board synthesis options.

I say it could be done for under $600.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How about a KORG answer to an OP-1? Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
The Teenage Engineering OP-1 is pretty high priced (I dare say overpriced) for what it offers.

I'd say it's extremely overpriced. Very Happy
Derpancakes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's all software, so you could technically call it a VST host. Your closest bet would be the Legacy VSTs or Korg Gadget app, both of which provide more function at lower price, and come on various hardware platforms.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole point would be to have an actual hardware tool in terms of interface, so that it's handier rather than a slab of glass that's tricky to poke at (especially precisely), easy to drop and easy to break, and has no removable battery.

But at this point I've more or less given up on KORG actually doing this, and as we speak I'm awaiting delivery of my KDJ-ONE (which also has an app version, which suggests that it's a very sensible little workstation.)
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derpancakes wrote:
Well it's all software, so you could technically call it a VST host. Your closest bet would be the Legacy VSTs or Korg Gadget app, both of which provide more function at lower price, and come on various hardware platforms.

Hardware designed specifically for a digital musical application is an instrument, not an app on a device that makes music super well. You could argue that the Wavestation was a pre-vst software synth model, but it was put into a purpose made housing designed to play music with, not a generic layout digital computing device that as much as it is easy to use, isn't made specifically to play music with.

Koekepan wrote:
But at this point I've more or less given up on KORG actually doing this, and as we speak I'm awaiting delivery of my KDJ-ONE (which also has an app version, which suggests that it's a very sensible little workstation.)

I have to agree. Korg have a whole division devoted to developing for the mobile device market and they really doing well there, so I can't see them starting a new dev-team to start from scratch on a device to rival any of TE's instruments.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: