Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

80's/90's Performance pack?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: 80's/90's Performance pack? Reply with quote

I'm going to be putting together a performance pack of 80's and 90's sounds, similar to the classic synths vol 1+2, but wanted to get some input from people here.

It'd likely be a combination of sounds from the AL-1 and HD-1 engines, and the Combi's would be live performance Combi's that allow you to play the whole song.

I'm thinking probably in the order of 50-60 songs from beginning to end, and however many combi's and programs that would take. The only thing I couldn't include I would suspect would be song-specific samples, sampled loops and such unless it were from a specific synth. (For example, the opening loop to Sexual Healing, since it was done on a TB808)

So that said, I'm not sure what kind of price to ask for something like this, nor what specific kinds of features and design decisions and what songs! people would want?

There's a bunch in there already like Jump, Tom Sawyer and so on, so I'm thinking I would stray away from those but maybe songs that are still quite popular/played often.

Thoughts/ideas? I'd love to put this together but I'm curious about the community feedback and the kinds of things they'd like to see.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to this.
AdDeRoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very interested in that!!!

Some of my suggestions: Nightshift, Sexual Healing, Crocodile Rock, Good Times, Le Freak, Money's too tight to mention

Might come with some more suggestions

Current gear : Korg Kronos 88 (SN 0979) / Nektar LX88+ / Korg PA2X / Kurzweil K2500R / Korg Nanopad2 / Neo Ventilator / Akai EWI USB / Cantabile / Reaper / Cakewalk / Reason / way too many VST's
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 80's/90's Performance pack? Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:
I'm going to be putting together a performance pack of 80's and 90's sounds, similar to the classic synths vol 1+2, but wanted to get some input from people here.

It'd likely be a combination of sounds from the AL-1 and HD-1 engines, and the Combi's would be live performance Combi's that allow you to play the whole song.

I'm thinking probably in the order of 50-60 songs from beginning to end, and however many combi's and programs that would take. The only thing I couldn't include I would suspect would be song-specific samples, sampled loops and such unless it were from a specific synth. (For example, the opening loop to Sexual Healing, since it was done on a TB808)

So that said, I'm not sure what kind of price to ask for something like this, nor what specific kinds of features and design decisions and what songs! people would want?

There's a bunch in there already like Jump, Tom Sawyer and so on, so I'm thinking I would stray away from those but maybe songs that are still quite popular/played often.

Thoughts/ideas? I'd love to put this together but I'm curious about the community feedback and the kinds of things they'd like to see.

are you going to add the drum parts and get them close to the tune ?
lunaluna

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your work is top notch I will definitely be buying .

A few suggestions .

Rebel Yell - Billy Idol

It's my Life - Bon Jovi

DOA - Bon Jovi

Hungry Like Wolf - Duran Duran

Borderline - Madonna

Purple Rain - Prince

Working for the weekend - Loverboy

Anything from Van Halen/Sammy Hagar 5150 album
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 80's/90's Performance pack? Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

are you going to add the drum parts and get them close to the tune ?

When possible, definitely.
studio429

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely be interested! Some suggestions :

Queen - Radio Ga Ga (got a near perfect combi, I just lack the 'Machines' noise from the live cut which is essentially the Poly Rhythms programme from the Roland Jupiter Cool

Duran Duran - The Reflex

Giorgio Moroder / Phil Oakey - Together In Electric Dreams

One of the top UK female fronted rock / pop covers bands

Kronos 88 / Kronos 73
Sweat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of your best customers may be keyboardists in cover bands. So of course, more coverband keyboardists will desire your pack if it contains the tunes that most of these variety groups are covering.

As we know, synths practically defined 80's pop music. Although there are already 80's sound packs, you could never have enough. Even if a tune already exists in another pack, YOUR version may nail it better.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweat wrote:
I think some of your best customers may be keyboardists in cover bands. So of course, more coverband keyboardists will desire your pack if it contains the tunes that most of these variety groups are covering.

As we know, synths practically defined 80's pop music. Although there are already 80's sound packs, you could never have enough. Even if a tune already exists in another pack, YOUR version may nail it better.

Thanks for that - Yes, that's exactly my thinking too. Also, it's one thing to have one signature sound, but some songs use several or don't quite capture the sound especially in a mix. I want to provide the entire performance sound so that you could literally show up to a gig with my sounds and play the whole song(s).

The big thing now is choosing the top 50-60 songs to cover. Some of them I actually have already, so it'll afford me time to work on other ones that might be a little more tricky or specific.

And then the next question is of asking price. I'll try and get the sounds/songs together first and work out the price later on.
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This solo starting at 2:15 would be cool if possible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGKiVHVCHVc

Also:
Collins - In the Air
Zeppelin - Trampled Under Foot and In The Light
Supertramp - Bloody Well Right and Dreamer
Enya - Boadicea
Journey - Don't Stop Believin
Van Halen - Right Now
ELP - Karn Evil 9
Irene Cara - Flashdance
The Human League - Don't You Want Me
Jefferson Starship - JANE
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67
keego

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pink Floyd - Run Like Hell Solo
Genesis - Mama
Jeff Wayne - Eve of the War
Marillion - Script for a Jesters Tear
Queen - Who Wants to Live Forever
Yes - And You and I (MiniMoog Lead Sound) 70s I know Twisted Evil

Previous:
Korg:X5D,Wavestation, N364, Trinity,Triton Classic,Triton Studio, Korg M3 61 w/ EXB-Radias
Ensoniq:TS12, SD1, ASR10
Roland:XP10, JD-800, Roland XV88, A90ex
Kurzweil:K2500RS, K2661, PC3
Nord: Electro 3
navydave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreigner - Waiting for a Girl, That Was Yesterday
Thomas Dolby - Blinded Me With Science
Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus, Enjoy The Silence
Yazoo - Don't Go, Situation
Gary Numan - Cars, Are Friends Electric?
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestions everyone so far - keep 'em coming!

Please also keep in mind I want to program the performance pack, which means not just one or two sounds, but I want to program the setlists to be able to perform the entire song from beginning to end. Also, I'd like to stray away from songs that only have one sound. For example, Smoke on the Water is a distorted organ basically the whole song. I wouldn't want to include that as a song necessarily, only because it's just one sound.

A couple that I want to add on my own as well are
Dire Straits - Money for Nothing
Jefferson Starship - We Built This City (I enjoy this song from a synth aspect because there's a LOT going on, but it never was a huge song either and would want to put in sounds that people would use)
A couple Journey songs
Bon Jovi stuff
Toto-Africa

These are just a few I want to do for sure, but keep the songs coming in and I'll compile a list and start getting to work right after the new year!
lunaluna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other Suggestions

Only the Lonely EP – The Motels

I’LL WAIT – Van Halen

Freeze frame – J Geils Band

You Might Think – The Cars

When Doves cry - Prince

Everybody wants to rule the World – Tears for Fears
mikeyd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some more conventional type patches such as Brass Sections from the likes of Earth Wind and Fire, Tower of Power, etc.? Korg attempted some of these and I think they missed the mark on most of them. But there is nothing, at least that I've seen from any 3rd parties that sound full, rounded, and accurate for that genre. They'd have to be imo mono if you were going to target cover bands and I think that's the problem. When using them live they always sound thin. I have yet to really find anything that sounds near a "fat " section when play live even with tweaking and I'm not that good of a programmer although I've tried.

Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with! Thanks for putting in the effort!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: