Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS DAW integration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nan Kin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: KRONOS DAW integration Reply with quote

The one thing that is stopping me from buying a Kronos is the new Yamaha Montage.Im kinda confused about how I can record from kronos to DAW.

Is it possible to route audio from my DAW to kronos via the USB connection??

in the case of yamaha motf line the USB cable can convey both audio and midi.is it ossible in the case of kronos???
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible but not always very practical. You only get a stereo connection and if you use the Kronos for playback as well you won't be able to separate the playback from any parts you want to add by playing (easily). Although if your studio is more advanced than just a keyboard and the computer you likely already have an audio interface anyway.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you planning on using it for live or at home recording?
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
RlaRed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately one of the weak spots on the Kronos is its use as an audio interface and its ability to work with DAWs. For one, the audio driver supplied for Windows is not an ASIO driver, it's only a standard Windows audio device. This limits its usefulness in DAWs.

However, if you have an existing audio interface already (such as a Audiobox USB or something) then you can run the Kronos analog outputs to the interface and it's not a big deal. This is what I do and it's fine.

The other much bigger issue is that the VST editor plugin (which is great) for the Kronos is only 32-bit. It will work OK in standalone mode if (and only if) you are not using the 64-bit MIDI driver at the same time. So as soon as you open your 64-bit DAW a a MIDI device, then the plugin editor won't be able to communicate with the Kronos. It won't even work in standalone mode at that point! Totally sucks and Korg needs to update this.

All this aside, I got the Kronos as an alternative "experience" to jog my creativity. I have a DAW and Komplete for when I want to compose at my computer. But I can also record something from the Kronos if I really want to. Honestly I had a MOX8 previously which had a USB audio interface that worked well and 99% of the time I didn't record from the MOX into my DAW anyway. . . I used virtual instruments intstead.

If you are looking for tight DAW integration, particularly using a plugin editor in your DAW, you might be better going with the Montage. I think the Montage can output 8 stereo channels at once or something like that which is very nice.

However, you might want to think if you really want to use the sounds from the Kronos in your DAW, or if you just want to use it as a MIDI controller for your DAW.

I recently went with the Kronos2 after demoing both. I use it only in the studio. I felt that the Kronos was a better choice because of all the different synth engines.

"The graveyards are full of indispensable men" - General Charles De Gaulle
robw70

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to Kronos I had a Motif XS8 with firewire which was capable of acting as an ASIO sound card for Cubase - like the Montage.

In the end I purchased a dedicated USB sound card (a UR44) and ditched the integrated connection for the Motif. It worked fine but it couldn't power condensor mics, had limited routing options, latency was higher than I preferred.

IMHO the Kronos is a far more powerful and capable keyboard but you may prefer the Montage. I would however not make the decision based on the DAW integration and ASIO audio capabilities of the Montage.

If you want a digital connection to the Kronos for audio then you can use a SPDIF connection with an appropriate ASIO capable sound card (like say a Focusrite one - unfortunately my UR44 doesn't have one).
Nan Kin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do have an audio interface , A Scarlett 2i2 ,which I dont want to upgrade anytime soon. I usually sing and record sketches while composing,
So far I had been managing with A Midi Keyboard a DAW and a mic.
But If I am connecting the kronos via the audio interface inputs that would mean i would have to record as mono, or plug out the kronos while I am recording vocals.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really easily use two interfaces (Scarlett and Kronos) at the same time anyway. There are programs like ASIO4ALL that let you do this but it's kind of asking for issues unless you really know what you're doing. I would suggest unplugging is not such a big chore, and if it does start bugging you, upgrade to a device with more inputs or get a small mixer.
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos isn't great as an audio interface, but if you're using a computer-based DAW for recording there's no need for it anyway.

I record MIDI and audio through my Focusrite interface, using the USB port for neither. I prefer 5-pin DIN for MIDI because I have a multiplexer for multiple devices and because conventional MIDI over a UART is more reliable than MIDI-over-USB.

S/PDIF is a good alternative for capturing audio to your DAW. I haven't used the S/PDIF port on my Kronos yet, but that's how I've done it for years with other synths. You get the same clean digital audio but without the crankiness of USB.

Mostly I only record MIDI from the Kronos and then rely on virtual instruments on the computer for the actual sounds because I have better strings, organ, piano, etc. in the form of Kontakt libraries than what the Kronos can provide. For me, in a recording environment, the Korg is just a composition tool and MIDI data-entry device.

I wouldn't base my decision of Montage vs. Kronos on I/O capabilities or suitability for recording. If I was to switch to the Yamaha it would be because it has a better keyboard.
Nan Kin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile I think Its possible to record an entire song into krono and export it as separate audio tracks?
eg.REcord a piano-guitar-vocal performance into the Kronos ssd, and export it as separate 48khz wave files??
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no render/ bounce to stems feature in Kronos , if that is what you asking.

However Kronos saves it's audio data to HDD so audio tracks can be picked up from there and rearranged in the DAW.

I haven't tried that as I record/ render all my tracks independently into the daw one at a time. I use a Steinberg/Yamaha UR44 interface.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
slayczar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Studio one integration Reply with quote

Hi Guys - I'm new here and new to the Kronos so forgive me if I haven't gleaned an answer from a previous post.

I am debating between the Kronos and the Montage but it all really depends on DAW integration. My workflow would be to compose on my DAW doing all of my MIDI editing and audio recordinng, then dumping it all to the synth and dialing in synth sounds that matched my VST instruments as closely as possible and audio backing tracks for performance.

Is one synth better suited for this than the other? My wet dream would be to just send the midi tracks over on each midi channel and have them magically appear in the synth; is this a bogus dream??

Thanks!
Slay
leonh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Studio one integration Reply with quote

slayczar wrote:
Hi Guys - I'm new here and new to the Kronos so forgive me if I haven't gleaned an answer from a previous post.

I am debating between the Kronos and the Montage but it all really depends on DAW integration. My workflow would be to compose on my DAW doing all of my MIDI editing and audio recordinng, then dumping it all to the synth and dialing in synth sounds that matched my VST instruments as closely as possible and audio backing tracks for performance.

Is one synth better suited for this than the other? My wet dream would be to just send the midi tracks over on each midi channel and have them magically appear in the synth; is this a bogus dream??

Thanks!
Slay

In your case Montage is better (I did sell mine for Kronos as I prefer doing everything with my Keyboard only) but if you prefer DAW then yes Montage.
Devnor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montage can send 16 and receive 3 channels of stereo 24 bit/44.1 kHz digital audio plus 16 channels of midi. It's also class compliant so no driver is required. As a recording tool is this huge because all your audio from the synth can be imported into the DAW in a single pass without any AD/DA conversions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: