Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 88 first generation 3.1 Update Fail and Crash...HELP!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shock410

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Kronos 88 first generation 3.1 Update Fail and Crash...HELP! Reply with quote

I have an original 2012 Kronos 88, first generation. The other night I was excited to do the new 3.1 update ...so I did my normal update routine and saved the files to my thumb drive and put it in the Kronos...the update got to about 85% complete and then there was error message. My keyboard was locked up at this point, so I restarted the board and since then, my board will not boot up. I get an error that says to reinstall the system files. I acquired the 3 Kronos DVDs from a friend who has a newer Kronos 2 and I used my external DVD drive to boot the keyboard from. So, I put the disc in and everything seemed to be ok at first...then I get an error with that. Can anyone help me at this point? My board is out of commission and I have no clue if this is fixable. I took a snapshot of the error message after trying to boot from the DVDs.
The error says "Installer fails failure installing system.tar.gz."
What can I do at this point??
Crying or Very sad
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an unknown reason your Kronos system files became corrupted while updating , probably because of instant power failure !
Your decision was right to reinstall system but your crucial mistake is that you tried to use Kronos 2 installation DVDs that
contain licensed resources like EXs17/18 that you do not have the permission to use by factory default in your Kronos 1st
generation , installation routine sees your Kronos model identifier and don't allow you to install resources.
Browse Korg website for older system DVDs suitable for Kronos 1,X ...

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
shock410

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found them....THANKS!!!!
shock410

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Kronos DVD file on the website....
burned image to a dual layer DVD...put DVD in drive and turned on the Kronos....
within a minute of installing, I get an error:
"Installer fails: failure installing system.tar.gz."
What does THAT mean????
Please help!!!
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a heck of a time with user burned CD's sometimes. Try downloading the file again and maybe use a download manager. Also, when burning the CD, burn it as slow as you can. I've found slower burns are more reliable.
Don't give up!

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shock410 , feel sorry for this and it's really hard to diagnose your case from distance !
Under my estimation , system SSD is corrupted and DVD linux installer can't write on it that's probably why you get
installing system.tar.gz. failure , since this file is the compressed container of system files that installer tries to
decompress and write files on SSD but file system is not recognized if corrupted !
Maybe a full format (installer option) could resolve this but it's too risky for your keyboard saved calibration data !
You'd better visit an official Korg service center to investigate further your problem ...

Good luck !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
shock410

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am gonna swap out the RAM and I ordered a new SSD drive....i've watched people successfully swap out the primary drive and re-install the system. I've got to give it a shot. what's amazing is that all this mess happened during the 3.1 update. wish me luck!!!
this year, i hope to upgrade to the Kronos 2.
LivePsy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can boot from the recovery disks and select 1 to format the primary SSD. If that format fails you have faulty harware. If it works, something else is wrong. You shoudln't need to replace ram and SSD at this point.

I installed 3.1.0 and then saw the large number of folders I had written and forgot their purpose. I successfully wiped the dsk and installed OS 1.0.6 when booted with that and upgraded to 3.1.0 on usb stick. It shouldn't be that hard.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think important stuff is stored on the primary SSD. People who "swapped" it did so by cloning the original and then extending the size of the image to put it back on a larger disk. At least, as far I'm aware. I don't personally know of anyone who simply took out the primary disk, slipped in an empty one and tried to reinstall from DVD. But if it works out, let us know.
Dan from Korg said various keyboard and controller calibrations were stored on the SSD and it could possibly mess with your EXs authorizations (though I think those are linked to the network adapter MAC ID).
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shock410
Try using a different dvd player for the install from disk.
Then consider following LivePsy suggestions etc.

SanderXpander
As an experiment,a few years ago,I did the full install from the dvd disk onto a blank ssd,then ran it as the boot drive without any problems.
Had no trouble with any "calibration"....even saved new ones.(Wouldn't recommend doing this if everything works ok,though).

The ssd cloning is,as said,a copy of the whole drive which can be quicker in some circumstances....as long as everything on it is ok etc.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my experience , read the following cases :

1) If a DVD player is not compatible , then system can't grab installer , so if installation begins and then fails , then SSD
file system is corrupted (or rarely dual layer DVD).

2) In case of SSD full format :
- DVD installer will write back standard (average) calibration settings into specific Ext partition of SSD that will be
recreated but every keyboard have it's own unique calibration by Korg ! so if you're lucky maybe those are close to your
keyboard and you won't see any difference ...
- OS will check that authorization code has been changed and you'll be asked to re-authorize keyboard via Korg website !
- Every 3rd party EXs libraries authorization will be lost and you have to re-authorize/ re-purchase those EXs libraries !

3) Cloning SSD case :
- You can clone a completely healthy file system SSD , and never an SSD with system failure , else you just waste your time !
(except if you're an expert engineer on Linux EXt2-3 file system and you're able to recreate/heal partition table !)

enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I think important stuff is stored on the primary SSD. People who "swapped" it did so by cloning the original and then extending the size of the image to put it back on a larger disk. At least, as far I'm aware. I don't personally know of anyone who simply took out the primary disk, slipped in an empty one and tried to reinstall from DVD. But if it works out, let us know.
Dan from Korg said various keyboard and controller calibrations were stored on the SSD and it could possibly mess with your EXs authorizations (though I think those are linked to the network adapter MAC ID).

I installed a new SSD on my Kronos 1, used one that was MUCH faster and larger, but had to re-register everything from scratch. Once that was done though, it worked fine.
LivePsy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:

I added a 2nd drive and did not swap the primary. But I have done a format and reinstall from DVD boot disks and nothing was changed for me. Perhaps there is an extra partition with settings and authorisation on it, and its not affected by a format.
shock410

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: DVD Writer for Kronos .ISO file Reply with quote

OK...I swapped out the SSD Drive with a Samsung EVO 250gig...No Prob!!
My question is.....Is there a DVD writer that works best for installing the DVD file to the Kronos. I've tried 2 different external DVD writers that power via USB to the Kronos and BOTH of them stop spinning at about 25% of the installation (it shows the Installer Version 2.02...it starts formatting the disk and the update wont't finish.)
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
A
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try powering the DVD from a separate power source?

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: