Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kross vs Krome as Light Weight Portable
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my Kross on an outer island gig. Plugged straight into PA. The stock piano was clear and more than adequate for the gig. Got a lot of compliments on the "piano".
This tiny keyboard rocks! Lots of useable sounds, easy to use. I love it.
JeffersonX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both keyboards, a Kross 61 and a Krome 73. Technically Krome is superior. It has a huge touchscreen, partial build in aluminium, big samples (up to 3.8 with 2.8 for pianos), has knobs, and sounds more powerful with your M3 sound engine.

But I also love my Kross because it is very lightweight, Audio Recorder is amazing (in my case I use for overdubbing some songs), even tough it has 112 MB PCM memory, Kross has amazing sounds like synth, pads, pianos, and others. Another good point is Kross has a stereo line input. Take it from me: it was very useful Wink

So you can play your Kross and still having excellent results. Of course Krome is much better, but is not as lightweight as Kross (especially in my case with 73-keys version), and doesn't have Audio Recorder.

I use both at home because Kross completes Krome and vice versa. In future I consider to change my Krome for an upgrade to Krome substitute or something better like Nord Stage or KORG Kronos. But I don't want to sell my Kross at all Smile
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the deal about the Kross. It has a ton of sounds that sound like.... what they are supposed to! I mean, you play the piano and it sounds like a decent, playable, clear piano. Every one thinks it sound like a piano - a good one! It nails a bunch of sounds. For me, the weakness is in the Electric Pianos. Not good, but not the worse I have heard. The analog simulations are not that good due to waveform transposition, but overall killer.
Awesome sounding board for the price and I use it more and more.

PX-5S + Kross = 33 pound monster setup. 88 keys weighted and lightweight top board.
navygent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old post but I just received my Kross Gen2 a few weeks ago. Looking at my 88 key, it's solid and feels just right. The sounds yes, maybe not as good as the Krome, but to be honest, if I were to pick Workstations, I'd go with a Kronos, but since I can't afford it, the Kross is a better choice.
I don't think I'd buy a Krome, because of the features it's lacking from the Kross, the audio feature is killer and so easy to use.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both. I have Kross and Krome, both in 61 keys.

I use them for different purposes.

The Krome is a studio animal. It's friendly to careful tweaking, it makes sound design a bit easier, and the control knobs are a big plus.

But it doesn't run on battery, so if you take it to a gig and you lose power, it takes a minute to boot back up. That feels like an eternity on stage. On stage, the Kross is the winner because it boots up fast, takes batteries, and can deliver convincing sequenced performance material without drama. If you're a one man band, then it can give you as rich and deep a backing as you feel like programming, if you're part of a bigger group then maybe it's just there for washes and textures, but it's still good.

If someone came up to ask me which to buy today, my first question would be: "What do you want to do with it?"

If you want to do studio stuff with the Kross, I'd recommend pairing it with a Behringer BCR2000 for a nice, knobby expansion. Makes a huge difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: