Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which analog to complement Kronos?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Which analog to complement Kronos? Reply with quote

Hi,

I managed to program some good sounds on the Kronos using the internal VA engines.

The Blofeld that I also have is also a great synth that complements Kronos very with the Wavetable synthesis and very good sounding filters.

However, I'm missing some sort of real analog filters/osc feeling especially in the low-end of the spectrum + ideally looking for some analog drums. Mainly looking for a module (could also be a keyboard).

Most important thing is that I'm looking for something completely different to the Kronos in terms of analog feeling.

Also to note that I'm a big fan of the Oberheim OB-Xa sounds/filters (not especially Moogs).

Here is the material that I considered:
1/ DSI Tempest: I like the concept of analog drums + analog synth module ... but looks like there would be a chip problem causing loss in quality on the analog synth module side (saw it in forums but of course not sure this is actually true).
2/ DSI Pro2: synth module appears to be top class and to be better analog sounding than the DSI Tempest.

On the other side, not really fan of the Access Virus stuff that sounds too digital to me.

Any idea of what synth you would recommend me considering that my ideal budget would be of maximum 1100 euro.

To the owners of the DSI Pro2 and Tempest, are these really worth the €€€ ? DSI synths/modules are quite expensive. If you know other alternatives I'm also interested.

Would the DSI Pro2 or Tempest overlap a lot with Kronos sounds? Can we emulate these on the Kronos or are these really so different that it justifies the high price tag?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Rigel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may consider Behringer DeepMind12.
Korg KronosX73, Kurzweil PC3K6, Roland V-Synth GT, Kawai K5000S, Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha HS80M, Boss Micro BR80, Zoom H6, Sony PCM D100, Tascam DP32SD, Mackie 1202VLZ4, Zoom MS-70CDR, Rode NT1, Sony MDR 7506.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too familiar with those two DSI products but my friend has a Prophet 6 that I absolutely love.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been considering the same scenario. I really like OB-Xa sounds. From what i have seen on the internet the Roland Jupiter 80 complements the Kronos very good. As far as software Sonicprojects has an OP-X-Pro 11 that is based off an Oberheim. The demo sounds really good. As far as a hardware synth the Jupiter 80 is about good as any out there in my opinion right now. Except for the real Oberheim which is too pricey for me.

Good luck in your decision and Happy New Year everyone on the forum.

Cheers,
Ben
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought on whether you are looking for a hardware only or software solution.

I have so many soft synths, but am only using them in the studio so far. I am now looking to expand my Laptop/Cantabile that I use for backing tracks and DMX light show to host my soft synths as well.

As mentioned above OP-X PRO is really good. I think a laptop loaded with OP-X, my Arturia V collection, Omnisphere and U-HE Zebra (my crimbo pressie) will complement the Kronos very nicely.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
Just a thought on whether you are looking for a hardware only or software solution.

I have so many soft synths, but am only using them in the studio so far. I am now looking to expand my Laptop/Cantabile that I use for backing tracks and DMX light show to host my soft synths as well.

As mentioned above OP-X PRO is really good. I think a laptop loaded with OP-X, my Arturia V collection, Omnisphere and U-HE Zebra (my crimbo pressie) will complement the Kronos very nicely.

I agree the OP-X-PRO is the cheapest way to go. I have never used soft synths so I think that is the direction of the future and much cheaper. For hardware the Jupiter 80 is really good. I have a friend that has a new OB-6 and really likes it. Pricey though.
chris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all.

Indeed mainly looking for the hardware alternative.

Happy New Year and peace to you all. May your music reach your dreams.
pete.m

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You could do worse than get hold of a Novation KS Rack. It's cheap, but powerful, rock-solid and so easy to use for creating new sounds. It's 4-part multi-timbral too, and the effects are pretty good. I can't really recommend the drums, although the basics are certainly in there. You could easily pick one up for £150, and have yourself a lot of creative fun...

Best of luck with your search!
chris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input Pete.
Also explored the Novation Supernova ii.

Anyone has an opinion on the Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 ? Is it worth it as an analog complement to the Kronos ?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but is the interest in actual analogs or also VA and softsynth?
chris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly analog hardware (modern hardware that can be mixed with digital oscillators).

Some VA like the Nord Lead 4 do a very good job but it's actually still not the same warmth that you can get from real analog filters or oscillators...
pete.m

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

I have a Supernova 2 as well as a KS Rack. The Supernova tends to be regarded by many as a classic synth, but I much prefer the KS Rack - more waveforms to play with, better sound and generally more solid in certain ways.
laandodeman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I'm not too familiar with those two DSI products but my friend has a Prophet 6 that I absolutely love.

That's my setup as well: Kronos 88 and Prophet 6. Excellent combination. One of the features I like about the Prophet is that it has a very intuitive sequencer. I don't like Karma (you can only program it on a computer or use presets) nor the step sequencers in the engines (hate the muddling with the screen).

The Moog Sub37 has a similar sequencer, might also be an option. But I chose the Prophet because it has a larger keyboard and it's polyphonic (Moog is only paraphonic).
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigel wrote:
You may consider Behringer DeepMind12.

That was my choice. I'll see how it fits in, when it gets here.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time I wanted something to compliment the Kronos. Later I just wanted something Moog, so I went with the Minitaur, it gave what I was after. Then the Karp, again I think it was a fine addition minus a few niggles but they are things that never bothered me. I currently would really love the OB6. Ah someday. Out of curiosity how does the OB6 differ from the OBx? To big a difference for your OB desires? Seems it is a bit more expensive then the pro2 but inline with a Tempest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: