Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd request: Can I make a sound for you; Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ando727 wrote:
Thanks Enigma! I'm not sure I entirely get all of it, but you've given me a place to start and I'll try to observe what happens when I change various parameters. I didn't even know 1 Oscillator could have two layers. On my old Korgs, each oscillator could only take only sound.

Anyway, I'll just have to sit down and see what I can do. I'm sure I'll learn plenty in the process.

Cheers.

The oscillator thing - that very much used to be true. Funny enough, it's a layer setting; You can crossfade different velocity layers. The 'trick' here is to crossfade at all velocities which layers two sounds together. The downside is that you can only control the volume between the two layers, but they can't have independent ADSR since it's only 1 oscillator triggering two waveforms.

But yeah, give that a try to start, the sound isn't very complicated but has a unique sound which with a little tweaking can be replicated easily enough. The core of his sound really is the distortion effect.
ando727

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:
ando727 wrote:
Thanks Enigma! I'm not sure I entirely get all of it, but you've given me a place to start and I'll try to observe what happens when I change various parameters. I didn't even know 1 Oscillator could have two layers. On my old Korgs, each oscillator could only take only sound.

Anyway, I'll just have to sit down and see what I can do. I'm sure I'll learn plenty in the process.

Cheers.

The oscillator thing - that very much used to be true. Funny enough, it's a layer setting; You can crossfade different velocity layers. The 'trick' here is to crossfade at all velocities which layers two sounds together. The downside is that you can only control the volume between the two layers, but they can't have independent ADSR since it's only 1 oscillator triggering two waveforms.

But yeah, give that a try to start, the sound isn't very complicated but has a unique sound which with a little tweaking can be replicated easily enough. The core of his sound really is the distortion effect.

Ah, now I see what you mean with all velocity layers. Thanks, that really clears it up. I think the terminology of the old days when a single oscillator was just that, a single waveform, was what confused me. I haven't had my Kronos for long enough to understand its architecture yet. Could take years to be remotely competent.
Kronos 2 88, Korg T1, Mesa Boogie Triaxis/2:90, TC G-major II.
Citizen Dan Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Lunch with Gina Reply with quote

Hi Enigma,
If you're still taking requests, I have been fiddling around and am having no luck on getting the synth sound I want for Steely Dan's "Lunch with Gina"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqqYmxwg6zk (1:52-2:36)

Any suggestions would be welcomed or if you have a patch, that would be great.
Thank you!
Wagnergrad96

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't seen this thread until today. I have decided that Enigma is a Kronos God (which is sorta redundant) Smile

I am super super impressed by the master skills!!

The only time I ever tried to make a sound, it didn't really turn out very well. I tried to make some sounds for "It's No Good" by Depeche Mode.

The intro sound was so bad that I had to sample the original and play my sound along with it

https://soundcloud.com/user-831858763/its-no-good

All of my sounds on soundcloud were made using my Kronos. I'm usually a guitar or 70's AM Gold guy but I love DM and other synth pop.

Any great DM sounds would be greatly appreciated (especially STRANGELOVE sounds) Smile
jamie8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: funeral for a friend Reply with quote

Dear Enigma , would it be possible to make a sound close to this, the orig sound was done on a arp 2500! using single notes multi tracked into the chords,"David Henchel.
i have tried and been somewhat successful but it just doesn't breathe and make the hair on my neck stand up lol,
just the intro although the wind and bell sound in the background would be cool on its own as a sample as well Smile
thank you in advance as anything you would do would be an improvement.on my skills.
James Very Happy
Wagnergrad96

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recorded a few covers using Enigma's sounds. Came out excellent!

Only The Lonely: - https://soundcloud.com/user-831858763/only-the-lonely

Subdivisions: - https://soundcloud.com/user-831858763/subdivisions

I tweaked the two subdivisions sounds ever so slightly. This is probably the only Rush song I can actually play Smile

- Tony
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wagnergrad96 wrote:

I tweaked the two subdivisions sounds ever so slightly. This is probably the only Rush song I can actually play Smile

- Tony

Wow man - those sound GREAT! Nicely done!
Wagnergrad96

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:
Wagnergrad96 wrote:

- Tony

Wow man - those sound GREAT! Nicely done!

That is s definitely a compliment coming from you. Thanks. . . . .I changed the sax solo in Only The Lonely to a synth solo because it would have taken me for ever to edit a good sax solo using MIDI. I can play trombone but not sax!
DarthDiegous

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Enigma,

Is there any equivalence table of values for copying the program configurations of a TR and putting them in a Kronos?
I have created some of the patches by copying values, but others have not been anywhere near.

Greetings!!
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthDiegous wrote:
Dear Enigma,

Is there any equivalence table of values for copying the program configurations of a TR and putting them in a Kronos?
I have created some of the patches by copying values, but others have not been anywhere near.

Greetings!!

I have the TR (Triton TR, not the rack mount) but haven't bothered making any tables. I wanted to focus entirely on the M1 for now since there's a lot of people that wanted specific presets from it.

Ideally, if I knew a software developer, I'd be able to do the line-by-line conversion for PCG files to get approximate idea of what settings would translate into what other settings and have them do the process conversion. That software exists for the M1 already however the samples haven't been ported in their entirety yet.

For the Triton series however, there are compatibility concerns but I haven't looked too in-depth yet. There are others in the forum however who probably have more experience moving files from the Triton over to the Kronos than I do.
DarthDiegous

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:

I have the TR (Triton TR, not the rack mount) but haven't bothered making any tables. I wanted to focus entirely on the M1 for now since there's a lot of people that wanted specific presets from it.

Ideally, if I knew a software developer, I'd be able to do the line-by-line conversion for PCG files to get approximate idea of what settings would translate into what other settings and have them do the process conversion. That software exists for the M1 already however the samples haven't been ported in their entirety yet.

For the Triton series however, there are compatibility concerns but I haven't looked too in-depth yet. There are others in the forum however who probably have more experience moving files from the Triton over to the Kronos than I do.

Thank you anyway, Enigma!

I will keep trying and trying. I no longer have the TR, I sold it, but I can investigate the values of certain patches with the software TR-Edit and compare them with the same patches of the pcg from Loren "best of triton" and see if I can find equivalences.
KronosCray

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Enigma,
I'm having trouble downloading the Cory Henry Workshop (Jupiter sound) pcg. It takes me to a page with a bunch of data/code like this:
KORGh��������PCG1�๑€���DIV1���,�����������������������������

I'm really enjoying your patches. Thanks for all the hard work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I managed to get the file by downloading on my friends windows laptop instead of my mac.
cb70

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you're still taking requests after so much time but was wondering if you or anyone else could help me recreate one of the sounds heard in this McCartney song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqZeEG1pnHg

For these sessions he was using a Yamaha CS80, Mellotron, Jupiter 4 and a Moog. The sound I'm interested in is heard at the start along with the Mellotron Flutes. It's the lower bass single notes that play throughout the song and I'm pretty sure it's coming from the CS80 as he used a similar sound in another song but for that one he was using the CS80 glissando effect.

Thanks for any help or direction is creating something similar to this.
caneparelli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Enigma,
I went from yamaha montage to Kronos and I would like to play a fantastic sound called Pearly Gates that can be heard here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHyAnLm9gK8#action=share.
How can I reproduce it with Kronos?
thank you infinitely for your work.
Gunnar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the plucks which blend between soft and sharp, which I assume is the main sound you are after, I think you'll get quite close by blending a soft rhodes with a harpsichord. Then you crossfade between them using an LFO.

Plenty of ways to do it as usual, but one way would be to use a COMBI. Assign the rhodes to channel 1 and the harpsichord to channel 2. Then in effects routing, assign 1 to IFX 1 and 2 to IFX 2. On both IFX 1 and 2 set up a limiter which mutes fully mutes the sound, then use a single Common LFO to drive the effect's Dry/Wet mix.

IFX 1 is all wet and the Common LFO adjusts it to -100 (aka dry). IFX 2 is all dry and the Common LFO adjusts it to to +100 (aka wet). This should make the sound alternate between the soft and the sharp. Tweak the Common LFO to get the right speed, they are quite fast by default.

I suspect the harpsichord will be a bit thin on its own, so perhaps the limiter on the rhodes should only dampen it a bit, not remove it completely. Adjust to your liking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 24 of 26

Jump to: