Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slave to the Rhythm_That syncing feeling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheKamanchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Slave to the Rhythm_That syncing feeling Reply with quote

Howdy folks,

New to the forum, not so new to Korg. My Triton Extreme has been one of the centre pieces of my studio setup for some time now. I love it and I've been working to expand things so that I can compose more spontaneously, triggering sequences on the fly for inspiration etc, but all in sync with Abelton (or Protools) as the master, either of which are set up to send a clock pulse to my ERM multiclock for tight syncing.

I've recently integrated the Multiclock to help with syncing various bits of hardware and it's showing a lot of promise. However, I'm wondering if it's possible to have either Protools (9.0.2) or Ableton (9.1.8 ) trigger the Triton's arpeggiator from playback, i.e. without a 'note on' from the DAW. It works fine with a midi note set up to trigger the arpeggiator but it's more than a little cumbersome, especially when scrolling through the patches in Combi mode. (I can go into the mixer in Combi and pull out the volume of the note that sounds from the Midi Trigger note and let the rhythmic sequences play from there, but this gets annoying after a while. Also, I have to manually set the arpeggiator to 'On' each time I stop playback or change to a new patch (This is particularly annoying. What I'd ideally like is for it to behave the way my Supernova does, i.e. waits for a bar of playback and then the arp triggers automatically).

I read on an old post on the forum that the Extreme only syncs to Midiclock which I believe is what is being sent from the ERM multiclock via Midi.

I have been able to get the arp syncing without the note on message from Ableton by pressing a note manually to trigger the arp (progress on where I was at without the multiclock), but the problem here is getting it perfectly on the grid (although triggering it a fraction before or after the beat can give some interesting results to the feel). Is there a way to set the trigger to 'next bar' or 'next note' so that the timing is spot on the grid?

Apologies for the lengthy post. Just wanted to make sure I articulated all the problems properly.

Cheers in advance,

Nick
TheKamanchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Slave to the Rhythm_That syncing feeling Reply with quote

Ok, so . . . .

I have managed to get everything syncing up quite nicely. The multiclock is doing its job and allows for shifts of +- 300ms to allow for delay discrepencies between the various synths and drum machines.

I'm triggering the Triton's arp via a 'note on' message from a dedicated midi track in Ableton routed through the Multiclock. To prevent the note from sounding you can either set the velocity of the trigger note to zero so no note sounds on the triton when in combi mode (as explained in original post) OR you can set the note to a note beyond the range of the patch on the piano roll such as on certain drum patched in Performance. The note should still trigger the arp.

However, somewhat frustratingly, I'm still having to manually switch the arpeggiator section back on each time I playback or record a pass. Ideally I'd like it to remain on and kick in following playback from Ableton as per my Supernova. Any ideas as to why it behaves like this anybody?

Cheers,

Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: