Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sending arpeggiator CC messages

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperKons

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Sending arpeggiator CC messages Reply with quote

Hello,
I would like to use the Kross arpeggiator, to trigger sounds from my Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE, on my laptop. I have made a Combi, in which I have set channels 1 to 5 as Ext. I would like to use the arpeggiator with channel 4 and 5, I created 2 different arpeggios, for this matter. At the moment, if I set the arpeggiator on channel 4 and 5, no sound can be played nor the arpeggiator works, at all, with said channels.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Create 2 extra timbres, e.g. 6 and 7:
* In the Combi/Prog page set their status to Off.
* In the Arp/Assign page, set timbre 6 to Arp A and timbre 7 to Arp B.
* In the Timbre/MIDI page set both their channel to Gch.

In the Arp/Assign page, keep A and B also set on your chosen channels 4 and 5.

Then it should work fine.

Have fun.
SuperKons

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello OpAmp,
thank you very much, you explained the process very clearly it must work right first time!

Cheers
SuperKons

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, it worked brilliantly!
Now, there is only one thing left, which, probably, is the trickiest: arp B has got sustained notes that, when played back by the Kross itself, are being held, but, when sent over to Miroslav, they are just triggered, but not sustained. Does this happen because the Kross is sending over an arp note lenght CC midi message, which seems to not be handled by the software? That would be my best guess...

Cheers
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Mmh, tricky indeed. It is not clear what you exactly want to achieve. Sustained notes yes or no? Where: on the Kross or in Miroslav?
Can you elaborate a bit more on that?

There is no such thing as a note length CC messages. The arpeggiator will only send note-on/note-off messages. The time between them is controlled by the tempo (number of notes per time unit) and the gate time (how soon a note is released). Depending on that it will sound like a full note or rather a tick. The type of instrument you trigger may also be important, does it have by default short attacks and a long release or not? E.g. you need to hold a note long enough before it comes up due to a long attack, a rather fast arpeggiator will not sound that well. Because the the arpeggiator will cut/release the note already before it really sounds.

Bye.
SuperKons

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello OpAmp,
sorry, for being rather unclear.
What I want to achieve is sustained notes in Miroslav, as I set them in the Arpeggio pattern, in the Kross.

And I stand corrected, as regards the note length CC message, I just did not remember, off the top of my head Smile
For sustaining the arpeggio notes, I set the Gate to LGT, and I am sending a note-off message, for that note, right before triggering the next one. As regards the instrument I am using, it is a violin ensemble, of which I set the attack to be the fastest possible, so I suppose that may not be the issue. Nevertheless, what happens is this: the note sounds as the Gate was set to the default value of 50%, therefore, no sustain.

I hope this has made it clearer!

Cheers!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Superkons,

We are almost there...

What do you mean by 'Gate to LGT'? Did you mean maybe 100%?

You may also play with release times in the Miroslav settings (if that is possible).

Have fun.
SuperKons

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello OpAmp,
"LGT" is the value you can set the Gate to, after 100%, and it is what makes the note sustain, normally.

Sure, I certainly can set the longest release possible for that violin sound, well worth giving it a try! Smile
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I thougth already you were referring to legato. Now, I can not find that on my Kross for gate settings. After 100%, it says 'Step'. Are you sure on the legato?
In 'Step' mode, the length of the notes is determined by the arpeggiator pattern that is chosen. So it is maybe less than 100% in that case. The length of the notes is overruled if you set a fixed percentage. So I would try 100% for the Gate parameter as well.

Good luck
SuperKons

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
yes, I was referring to the Gate parameter described at page 167 of the Parameter Guide, which, of course, is different from the Gate parameter you have been referring to. Again, my apologies for not being thorough!

Nevertheless, your mention of "Step" had me remember that I had to set the Gate parameter, the very one you referred to, to that particular value, and, in fact, it worked. On top of all of this, I had already set the arpeggiator, in the exact same way, in another Combi, a few months ago, but, naturally, I had forgotten I had done that...

However, it does not end here, I am afraid, here goes: when using the arpeggiator with the Kross internal sounds, it is still possible to play those sounds the arpeggiator will use; when using it with sounds in Miroslav, those particular sounds cannot be played. I am assuming that is because I have mapped the Miroslav sounds to different MIDI channels?

Again, thank you very much, for your assistance!

Cheers
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Indeed, if your Miroslav sounds are triggered by another MIDI channel than the global one, then they can not be triggered by the Kross keyboard, as that one sends its data on the global channel internally.
The setup for the Arp to Miroslav is a workaround and is working for the following reason. The extra timbres that I suggested you to add, listen also to the global channel, for triggering the Arp. But once it is running, the Arp data is sent to all timbres with Arp enabled, irrespective of their MIDI channel.

Unfortunately, the Kross is not that flexible as performance controller for other MIDI equipment.

Bye
SuperKons

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello OpAmp,
I totally understand, and I truly appreciate your assistance. Also, your knowledge is very extensive, and I have been learning much, from you, thank you, once again.

I have got a couple more MIDI related problems, again, related to using the Kross with Miroslav, but they are off-topic, for this thread.

Cheers
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SuperKons,

Glad to help you further.
I was still crunching a bit on your last question and my answer. I felt that it was not complete.
I'm not sure whether it is exactly what you are looking for... but here it goes.

Suppose you have the following:
* timbre 4, set to MIDI channel 4, ARP on, set as external
* timbre 6, set to MIDI channel Gch, ARP on, set as Off
This is the solution we worked out to have the Arpeggiator started and sending the Arp pattern to MIDI channel 4 (Miroslav)

Now do the following, let's say Timbre 8 is still free.
* timbre 8, set to MIDI channel 4, ARP off, set as external
As for Timbre 8 the Arp is off, it will still listen to the keyboard of the Kross and send the notes to MIDI channel 4 (Miroslav).

You may combine that with keyboard ranges and transposes, because if the full range is allowed and the Arpeggiator is on, two timbres (4 and Cool will be sending notes on MIDI channel 4, which results in duplicate notes and may sound a bit odd. Give it a try.

Looking forward to more MIDI issues in a new thread Very Happy

Enjoy!
SuperKons

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello OpAmp,
I really appreciate your commitment, to finding a solution to my MIDI problems, thank you very much!

I shall try this new suggestion of yours, and let you know how it has panned out.

And I am creating a new topic, about my, hopefully, last MIDI conundrum. Shall I expect a reply from you?? Laughing

Cheers
SuperKons

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp, your solution works excellently, without any duplicate note, truly brilliant thinking! Idea

You have my utmost gratitude, and I am confident you might be able to resolve my Program Change issue, as well.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: