Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to change drum track on the fly

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex_Korgo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: How to change drum track on the fly Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been using the M50 for a while, I normally play in Program Mode with Arpeggios. Or on Sequence Mode using RPPR. I really like the drum tracks, but to add variety I have to open the Drum Track tab on the touch screen and increase or decrease the selection. How do I jump to another specific one? Can I assign a certain key? Or can I somehow program it on the M50 Plug In running on a laptop?
Or triggered via MIDI?

Cheers!
Ovidius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
you can do this using laptop (did not find any other way, see below). AFAIK drum track number is set by SysEx message.
I have tried to do this using:
- RPPR, but they do not support SysEx messages
- using Ableton with clips with recorded SysEx messages, however Ableton did not support SysEx messages at that time (version 8, not sure how now), also Bigwig Studio did not support them

To see what message is it, use MIDI monitor and change Drum Track. M50 has good MIDI implementation that sends MIDI message (SysEx in this case) on parameter change and when you send it back to M50, it will react the same way.

So easiest way is:
1) Use MIDI message recorder (some DAW or SysEx Librarian on Mac)
2) Change Drum pattern on M50 - message should be recorded
3) play back the message to switch to this pattern again.

If you look closer at the message, drum pattern number is encoded there. So you can automate this as you need.

If you have some coding skills and would like to cooperate on custom control panel for M50 written using Ctrlr, I will be glad to help. I was planning to do that, however did not get to it yet.
Alex_Korgo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ovidius,

Great suggestion. I am not familiar with any DAW, but certainly will look around.

Interesting idea to create an M50 control panel, unfortunately I am very short on available time.
Ovidius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need just something that can record and play Sysex, have a look at Reaper. It is cheap but feature rich. It does not look fancy, however it is quite swift as well and has all the features from bigger DAWs.

It does not have any instruments or samples bundled.

Just a suggestion where to look. Smile
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The keypad can be used to directly select a drum pattern that is numerically some distance away from the one in use. Just highlight the pattern number:description field on the screen and type e.g. 691<enter>. Ok, that's a screen tap and four keypresses in total, so not perfect, but one way to skin the proverbial cat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: